Lawn Boy Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

1sATURNIAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
have a silver series self propelled that started to grind before it quit, if any one has any suggestions,i thank you in advance.

tRY TO BE MORE SPECIFIC WITH "GRIND"... THE ENGINE OR RHE MOWER?

Jwheeler

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I'm Jim. Bought a Lawn Boy 8431 at a local estate sale on half price day for $62.50. Can't believe someone did not take it for $126 the first day. Owned by a man with a 10000 square foot lawn. The mower is in great shape, started on the third pull. Question is what type of oil and what mix. My first Lawn Boy was a gift from my wifes grandfather in 1977, was a late 60's mower, I loved the mower. Because my wife really hated it I traded for a new self propelled Lawn Boy with a starter in 1978 ($650 was a lot of money then). Had nothing but trouble with the mower, this time I hated it. Have gotten by without a Lawn Boy since. Decided last year to look for another simple two cycle and had not been able to find one until now. Sometimes you just get lucky. Thanks in advance for any advice. Tried to attach photos but I could not get it to work.

Last edited:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I'm Jim. Bought a Lawn Boy 8431 at a local estate sale on half price day for $62.50. Can't believe someone did not take it for $126 the first day. Owned by a man with a 10000 square foot lawn. The mower is in great shape, started on the third pull. Question is what type of oil and what mix. My first Lawn Boy was a gift from my wifes grandfather in 1977, was a late 60's mower, I loved the mower. Because my wife really hated it I traded for a new self propelled Lawn Boy with a starter in 1978 ($650 was a lot of money then). Had nothing but trouble with the mower, this time I hated it. Have gotten by without a Lawn Boy since. Decided last year to look for another simple two cycle and had not been able to find one until now. Sometimes you just get lucky. Thanks in advance for any advice. Tried to attach photos but I could not get it to work.

On the fuel/oil mix: I use Poulan two-cycle oil at 50:1. Going by the (LB) book says to mix 32:1 but the new oils are much better and I've been pushing it to 50:1 for years without a problem.

Does it run well?

Let us know -- and sorry that you let go of that 1960s LB. :mur:

DPI

Threads
Hi all. Just found this forum and wanted to introduce myself. I have a Lawn Boy, model 7266 from 1977. My grandfather bought it new and I have been using it ever since. It has been an amazing trouble free machine for years. My faithful lawn mowing companion. Lol. :cool: It started to run rough last year and I just took it completely apart to see what it needs. I can take pictures, but it is in a million pieces right now. Will start a thread with my questions. Thanks in advance!

Ltg53207

Forum Newbie
Threads
New here I have an old LawnBoy 7264 with a SN starting with 7 so it apparently doesn't exist.
Runs great, still using it to mow my little patch of lawn here. I just need to fix the primer on it.

franchi

Threads
New Member checking in!

Hi All:

A new member here checking in for the first time.

I am a Lawnboy lover and at the present time I am repairing and using a Model 5239.

This has been my favourite mower for many years. At only 25 lbs., it is very easy for my wife to trim the lawn.

I taught small engines and auto mechanics for 35 years so I do have a basic knowledge of engine repair.

At present, I am in the process of replacing the coil on my 5239 as I do beleive that the present coil has failed. I will attempt to check it later in the day to be sure.

In any case, thank you for permitting me to join your ranks!

Stay well,

Franchi

Threads
Re: New Member checking in!

Hi All:

I am a Lawnboy lover and at the present time I am repairing and using a Model 5239.

This has been my favourite mower for many years. At only 25 lbs., it is very easy for my wife to trim the lawn.

I taught small engines and auto mechanics for 35 years so I do have a basic knowledge of engine repair.

At present, I am in the process of replacing the coil on my 5239 as I do beleive that the present coil has failed. I will attempt to check it later in the day to be sure.

Stay well,

Franchi

:welcome: Welcome to LawnWorld...nice mower! :thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Re: New Member checking in!

Hi All:

Stay well,

Franchi

Welcome to the forum, Franchi. You will be a great addition to our LB crew. Please post photos of your mowers.

WhyZed

Threads
Hey hey everyone, WhyZed Doug in the house and thanks for having me,

I've been on & off looking for a 2 stroke mower for a couple years to replace my 4 stroke POS and this little fella fell right into my lap.

Garbage day, my new neighbor had 2 mowers out for pick-up. I ran over & saw this crazy looking 'Lawn-Boy' so I grabbed it! I didn't even make it across the road when some random truck pulled up & took the 4 stroke mowing POS thing.

This Lawn-Boy mower I grabbed was so light it surprised me. I added a few drops of petrol into the spark plug hole & it fire straight up! NICE!!!!

I still don't know exactly what it is, as the numbers on it don't match up exactly to the docs I can find on the net.

I did post info, question, picts, etc regarding my new mower here

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/lawn-boy-forum/15947-help-me-idintfy-my-new-mower.html

so I just saying hi :wink: and thanks for being here.. :drink:

Last edited by a moderator:

WhyZed

Threads
My dearest Mom 'RIP' (I miss you so much!!) worked for OutBoard Marine Peterborough Ontario Canada, for over a decade.
She made Lawn-Boy mowers along with outboard marine engines for you and me..

I hope to get examples of the best machines she laid her precious hands on.