L130 - Sudden no crank, no headlights

Spectre332

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower started and ran fine last week. 2 days ago I tried starting it again and absolutely nothing. No crank.. not even a click.. and no headlights. Checked battery voltage and it was 12.4V. Fuse checked good. Replaced ignition switch but no dice. Used a screwdriver on the two posts on the solenoid with the ignition in the run position and it sparked like crazy so it’s definitely getting juice.

I can’t figure out how the solenoid is getting juice but won’t crank… and how no headlights ties into all of it.

Ideas? Trying not to throw a bunch of money at parts that aren’t bad…

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd start by finding a schematic for the wiring and posting it here. Anyone who doesn't have one on hand won't be able to assist you much. And even most of those with one won't help you without a model number of the mower, and serial number of the mower. Maybe even year too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First you going to need a cheap VOM to start testing. A screw driver is not going to cut it.

And as for the starter solenoid sparking across the two large terminals that is a separate non fused 100+ amp circuit. That solenoid (relay) is a four post version with voltage provide through the ignition switch, PTO switch (which must in the off position) and brake switch (brake pedal must be depressed). But with no lights in position one of the ignition switch (lights don't in position 2 or the starting position) it kinda pointing to a grounding issue.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is the closest wiring schematic I got.
1681969002314.png

Spectre332

Forum Newbie
Threads
First you going to need a cheap VOM to start testing. A screw driver is not going to cut it.

And as for the starter solenoid sparking across the two large terminals that is a separate non fused 100+ amp circuit. That solenoid (relay) is a four post version with voltage provide through the ignition switch, PTO switch (which must in the off position) and brake switch (brake pedal must be depressed). But with no lights in position one of the ignition switch (lights don't in position 2 or the starting position) it kinda pointing to a grounding issue.

interesting. I guess I can check all ground leads and see if anything is loose, corroded, broken. If it just wouldn’t crank, that’d be one thing.. but the headlights not coming on is what is throwing a real wrench in troubleshooting the underlying issue, for sure.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuse might be fine but fuse holder could be stuffed
pull the plug off the back of the key switch and check for voltage at the B terminal

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
turn the headlights on, use a VOM to see if you have voltage at the headlights. One side to battery negative terminal and one to the lights. If yes then you have a bad ground. If no then you have a problem feeding the ignition switch or light switch.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the spark plugs out. Now try electric starting mode. Let's see if she is hydro locked up.

12.4V at rest means the battery could use a charge. Need to run the engine at full revs, all the time. More reasons than this to do it. I would keep her on a Battery Tender.

Spectre332

Forum Newbie
Threads
turn the headlights on, use a VOM to see if you have voltage at the headlights. One side to battery negative terminal and one to the lights. If yes then you have a bad ground. If no then you have a problem feeding the ignition switch or light switch.
I'll give this a try. Hopefully doing so will at least narrow down the problem.