L130 - Sudden no crank, no headlights

Spectre332

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the spark plugs out. Now try electric starting mode. Let's see if she is hydro locked up.

12.4V at rest means the battery could use a charge. Need to run the engine at full revs, all the time. More reasons than this to do it. I would keep her on a Battery Tender.
I can try... I mean.. at this point I'll try nearly anything. Though I don't thank that's going to be what the problem is... specifically because when I turn the key, I don't even get a click like you normally get when the solenoid engages the starter, so the starter isn't even attempting to turn the motor.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can try... I mean.. at this point I'll try nearly anything. Though I don't thank that's going to be what the problem is... specifically because when I turn the key, I don't even get a click like you normally get when the solenoid engages the starter, so the starter isn't even attempting to turn the motor.
I hear what you are saying. Wondering if the needle and seat got you hydro-locked?

Plug/s out of the engine can prove possibly if the starter is good. Much easier to turn over.

Oil level on the FULL mark? Not over, not under?

From what you are saying, sounds electrical.

Spectre332

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hear what you are saying. Wondering if the needle and seat got you hydro-locked?

Plug/s out of the engine can prove possibly if the starter is good. Much easier to turn over.

Oil level on the FULL mark? Not over, not under?

From what you are saying, sounds electrical.
Actually now that I think about it... I know the starter is good because when I used a screwdriver between the two solenoid terminals, it did crank the engine. It almost has to be electrical... which is my least favorite thing to troubleshoot. :p

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll give this a try. Hopefully doing so will at least narrow down the problem.
also just for giggles I would measure battery voltage with the lights on but it sounds like it will be Ok. Maybe a tad bit low but enough to turn the lights on.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
No current is getting to the solenoid via the small solenoid wire to make it shift and connect the 2 large cables . Run a test wire from the battery positive to that small terminal on he solenoid to determine if it will crank .

Freddie21

Threads
Even at 12.4v, the head lights should work, unless this is a unit that runs off alt and engine must be running. Sounds as if no 12v to the ign switch.

Zedo

Threads
In my experience over the years , ( cars, trucks ,etc ) you might have the recommended voltage at the battery, ( 12+ volts ) doesnt meant the battery is good, a load tester would tell you if the battery is bad, you might have the voltage there but not the amps to crank over the engine. I always put a battery maintainer on the battery over the winter months, but once spring arrives it kicks right over, however if you used it already, I'd say the battery is shot and cant be brought back to life but you can try to charge it up, A load tester will tell you right away if it's bad or good.

CLStout

Threads
Could the solenoid be bad, or one of the safety switches be bad?

Threads
Mower started and ran fine last week. 2 days ago I tried starting it again and absolutely nothing. No crank.. not even a click.. and no headlights. Checked battery voltage and it was 12.4V. Fuse checked good. Replaced ignition switch but no dice. Used a screwdriver on the two posts on the solenoid with the ignition in the run position and it sparked like crazy so it’s definitely getting juice.

I can’t figure out how the solenoid is getting juice but won’t crank… and how no headlights ties into all of it.

Ideas? Trying not to throw a bunch of money at parts that aren’t bad…
Probably, or obviously, a short of some kind. I had a similar problem with my Yard Man Tractor. After replacing every component, solenoid, starter, ignition switch, Neutral safety switch (you may want to check this) it turned out to be a corroded fuse holder. Sometimes it made contact, sometimes not. Go over everything carefully. Maybe try hot wiring the starter directly to the battery to see if it cranks over. If it does, it's somewhere in the wiring between the two. Good luck.

Zedo

Threads
Could the solenoid be bad, or one of the safety switches be bad?
The poster claims he has no lights. the solenoid and safety switch has nothing to do with the lights.