Kohler K161 carburetor

Lonestar

Threads
OK. I think it is more of a detergent or non-detergent issue. I thought maybe those classes were different in that aspect. For some reason I thought non-detergent oils were recommended in engines without a filter. Again, I doubt it's an issue in this Kohler engine. Probably the least of my worries.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Small engine manufacturers did away with non-detergent oil many, many years ago. The only time I use non-detergent oil is in air compressors.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK. I think it is more of a detergent or non-detergent issue. I thought maybe those classes were different in that aspect. For some reason I thought non-detergent oils were recommended in engines without a filter. Again, I doubt it's an issue in this Kohler engine. Probably the least of my worries.
Non detergent oils were designed for use on engines that ran dry sumps with external oil tanks so the crud could settle out to the bottom lower than the pick up tube thus go out of circulation which was the norm way back pre WW I
Detergent oils are designed to hold the crud in solution so that the filter can extract it easily so it goes out of circulation which became very wide spread from the late 60's on cars and the 90's on mower engines that had an oil pump
Everything else you have seen , heard or think you know is the BS used by advertising companies to convince you that brand X oil is better than brand Y oil.
In a small stationary engine running at fixed speeds with no oil pump it makes next to no difference what type of oil you use and even less if it is changed at the end of the use season.
The only important bit is the viscosity number

Your problem stems from the use of the fuel stabilizer .
When they are needed, they are good & do a good job .
However like vitamin suppliments that is about 5 % of the people who use it.
The rest of the time they mostly do no harm .
BEcause CEO's & Directors get paid bonuses , Stabil. Marvel. WD40 etc spend a fortune convincing every one that their product is needed everywhere that they are not needed .
Remove your fuel tank clean it out & allow it to dry
Replace the fuel lines & clean the carb to remove all traces of the gunk you put in there .

For the purpose of testing, start the engine and see if you can keep it running by giving it SHORT shots of carb cleaner ( better ) or engine starting fluid ( not so good ) through the carb ( the engine will knock a little with every shot , don't worry about that ) .
Now if you can keep the engine running for a minute or two like this then the problem is with the fuel supply
If not then the problem is with the ignition or valves .

If you got a backfire then the ignition timing key in the flywheel could have cracked or even sheared off and the engine is now a poofteenth out of time

Lonestar

Threads
Non detergent oils were designed for use on engines that ran dry sumps with external oil tanks so the crud could settle out to the bottom lower than the pick up tube thus go out of circulation which was the norm way back pre WW I
Detergent oils are designed to hold the crud in solution so that the filter can extract it easily so it goes out of circulation which became very wide spread from the late 60's on cars and the 90's on mower engines that had an oil pump
Everything else you have seen , heard or think you know is the BS used by advertising companies to convince you that brand X oil is better than brand Y oil.
In a small stationary engine running at fixed speeds with no oil pump it makes next to no difference what type of oil you use and even less if it is changed at the end of the use season.
The only important bit is the viscosity number

Your problem stems from the use of the fuel stabilizer .
When they are needed, they are good & do a good job .
However like vitamin suppliments that is about 5 % of the people who use it.
The rest of the time they mostly do no harm .
BEcause CEO's & Directors get paid bonuses , Stabil. Marvel. WD40 etc spend a fortune convincing every one that their product is needed everywhere that they are not needed .
Remove your fuel tank clean it out & allow it to dry
Replace the fuel lines & clean the carb to remove all traces of the gunk you put in there .

For the purpose of testing, start the engine and see if you can keep it running by giving it SHORT shots of carb cleaner ( better ) or engine starting fluid ( not so good ) through the carb ( the engine will knock a little with every shot , don't worry about that ) .
Now if you can keep the engine running for a minute or two like this then the problem is with the fuel supply
If not then the problem is with the ignition or valves .

If you got a backfire then the ignition timing key in the flywheel could have cracked or even sheared off and the engine is now a poofteenth out of time
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what you mean by "Your problem stems from the use of the fuel stabilizer". I did not know I had a problem at this stage?? I have not used a fuel stabilizer, as there has been no fuel in the tank or through the engine. If you are referring to the Marvel oil, that was to lube the cylinder walls, parts, etc as the engine has not been run in 20 years.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what you mean by "Your problem stems from the use of the fuel stabilizer". I did not know I had a problem at this stage?? I have not used a fuel stabilizer, as there has been no fuel in the tank or through the engine. If you are referring to the Marvel oil, that was to lube the cylinder walls, parts, etc as the engine has not been run in 20 years.
Sorry you got the answer to a different post

Lonestar

Threads
Just my experience working on small engines for 50+ years. Rebuilding a Kohler carb is about as easy as they come. This manual will help. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...al-K91-K141-K161-K181-K241-K301-K321-K341.pdf
Well, just a quick update. I rebuilt the carb, and you were right, it was an easy job. It was pretty dirty but cleaned up nicely.

Now the bad news. I have no spark at the spark plug. Of course it's a new plug, gapped correctly. I then checked the points and cleaned the contacts with a fine, small file. I'm getting just a hint of an intermittent weak spark.

Not being good at trouble shooting at this point, next step would probably be to just replace points, condenser, spark plug wire. I think there is also a coil but I've not found it so far.

These ignition parts are not cheap, and the parts sheets that are available are not even showing original part numbers. I'm starting to question (with my limited ability) if I'm looking at a good investment here?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because you say you have a weak spark, before throwing parts at this unit I would do the following. First I suggest you review the section of the manual I posted on how to troubleshoot the ignition system, then I would take some fine emory paper and clean the points one more time, files leave the point surface too rough. After doing so I like spraying the points and connections with a fast drying cleaner, like electronic contact cleaner or BrakeKleen, blow dry with compress air. Then I would reset the point gap at .018”, yes I know the manual says .020”. If this engine has an external coil, automotive style, the wires from the coil, one at a time, and clean and dry the connections. Retest for spark.

Lonestar

Threads
OK will do. I've read the section in the manual, but will go back and review again.

I'm all about not spending any more than necessary, but I can get a third party points and condenser set on amazon for $20. Of course genuine Kohler parts are very expensive. For $20 I'm thinking I can eliminate the possibility that I've not got the contacts as clean and smooth as needed. I have no idea if the condenser at 40 years of age could be an issue.

The coil perplexes me. I only have access to about 8" of spark plug wire before it disappears into the engine cowling, so I really don't know what I'm dealing with. It's going to take some dissaembly work to get to the origination point of the wire, so I'd like to eliminate all other possibilities before tearing into it.