Kohler K161 carburetor

Lonestar

Threads
I have an old Troybuilt tiller with a 7hp Kohler engine. The engine model number is K161T with a spec number 281271J. I've ordered a rebuild kit for the carb but was wondering if there are any low cost complete carburetors that would fit.

The parts sheet shows the carb to be a Kohler model 41 053 13. I've found inexpensive carbs that state they will work on the K161 engine but the do not list this number as compatible.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I wouldn’t recommend trying an off brand compatible carb on any Kohler cast engine.

Lonestar

Threads
I wouldn’t recommend trying an off brand compatible carb on any Kohler cast engine.
I'm sure you are correct, but why? It's pretty obvious that it's not very common to do it because there are not any off brands out there I have found yet.

I've rebuilt some chainsaw and weed eater carbs, but I'm not sure if I qualified to do the Kohler.

Lonestar

Threads
Thank you very much. That is a great manual for me to have, and I bet I can get through the carb rebuild using it as a reference. I wish I had just a little of your experience.

One more question please. In my OP I mentioned there is a spec number. Does this mean there were variations in the model K161 engine? If so small variations I assume?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, the spec number is used to identify any variations to the basic engine, which may be small or large. Ex. carb linkage, crankshaft type, etc.

Lonestar

Threads
If you have time let me ask this. The tiller has been setting up for 20 years. Well kept in my garage. I always turned the tank petcock valve off after using, and let the engine run until all gas gone, and engine stopped.

Before tearing into the carb, do you feel I could spray some carb cleaner into the carb and give the engine a try? There may be a small chance it would start and then I could run something like Sea Foam through it to better clean the fuel system.

Would there be any harm in trying?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ve seen it done before with positive results, worth a try. There things I would do first. One, drain the oil may take a day depending on temps by you, and put in fresh. Two, squirt some oil directly into the cylinder. Three, pull the starter rope slowly, no plug, to disperse the oil in the cylinder. Do this about 25 times, slowly increasing in speed, to coat the internal parts with oil. Now you can add fuel and see what happens.

Lonestar

Threads
Yes, I definitely was planning on changing the oil. I'm in TX so temps here are still in 90's. The Troy build manual calls for 30W SE class oil. The Kohler manual calls for 30W SC detergent type. Not sure what to look for??

I've already been putting Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinder for about a week. I pull the rope starter a few times everyday.

Of course I'm replacing the fuel lie, spark plug, and air filter. I removed the wheels, painted, and put new tires on.

Incidentally I bought the tiller new in 1980.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t worry about SC or SE, they have to do with which year car engine they can be used in.