Export thread

Jumping lawn mower...question?

I

Imowmylawn

Right, well, i have neglected to run my tractor over the winter and now that battery is mostly dead (cranks slooowly). So tomorrow I am planning to jump it...but I recently saw that you should jump the lawn mower with the car off to avoid overcharging the lawnmower battery. I've never don't this however. So I was wondering if that's important...also, wouldn't that kill the battery in the car? Since its basically giving its charge away without and source to recharge it. (sorry if there are mistakes, I'm on my phone.)

Carscw

Carscw

I have always jumped with the car running I have never heard if it hurts mowers battery or not so I don't know. I have done it a few times after my brother inlaw draws the battery down. My battery is two years old and still holds a good charge so I would think it would not hurt it

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

I

Imowmylawn

I have always jumped with the car running I have never heard if it hurts mowers battery or not so I don't know. I have done it a few times after my brother inlaw draws the battery down. My battery is two years old and still holds a good charge so I would think it would not hurt it

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Thanks. Ive always jumped the older ones with the car running too, but this is my first time jumping the new lawnmower (which has considerably more electronics that could be ruined, lol) But do you think that jumping it from a battery not being powered by an alternator kill the good battery?

reynoldston

reynoldston

won't hurt a think, been doing it for years and never had a problem

midnite rider

midnite rider

Usually a car battery has at least twice the cranking amps of your lawn mowers battery. It should crank the mower with the engine off with no damage to either. The gauge of wire and length of your jumper cables has a huge effect on cranking speed as well as cleanliness of solonoid and starter cables. You will get more power to the starter if the engine is running. If you short the circuit or improperly hook up the cables is when you can damage the sensitive electronics on your vehicle. Do not crank more than a few seconds at a time to avoid overheating and damaging your starter, I have jumped many a mower and have never had a problem with the car electricals, :cool: knock on wood.

I

Imowmylawn

In case anyone cared, I just ended up doing it with the car off (mostly cause I was too lazy to go get my keys haha) :laughing:....lawn mower started right up...whether the truck will...ill find out tomorrow :smile:

K

KennyV

In case anyone cared, I just ended up doing it with the car off (mostly cause I was too lazy to go get my keys haha) :laughing:....lawn mower started right up...whether the truck will...ill find out tomorrow :smile:

It will ...don't worry about it... :smile:KennyV

F

fastback

For what it worth I have always jumped with the jump vehicle off. I have never had a problem. Probably would be best to get a small low amp charger to keep the battery up.

I

ILENGINE

Just be careful if you are jumping the mowers with the EFI engines with a totally dead battery. If you disconnect the jumper cables before the lawnmower battery has had time to charge can and has fried the EFI computer on the mower because of the voltage spike.

jmurray01

jmurray01

Right, well, i have neglected to run my tractor over the winter and now that battery is mostly dead (cranks slooowly). So tomorrow I am planning to jump it...but I recently saw that you should jump the lawn mower with the car off to avoid overcharging the lawnmower battery. I've never don't this however. So I was wondering if that's important...also, wouldn't that kill the battery in the car? Since its basically giving its charge away without and source to recharge it. (sorry if there are mistakes, I'm on my phone.)
The car battery has a source to recharge it - The alternator, or generator if you have a very old car.

It won't use that much power to crank a small mower engine over, so don't worry. It should be fine.