John Deere Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

winmod21

Threads
It is a file format problem
Upload the photo to your computer
Resize it to around 12" on the long axis and adjust the resolution to 72 dpi then SAVE it .
That photo will display 6 to 12" on computer screens.
Web hosts see the RAW format used in cameras as 4 times the size the file really is and a 500 kb photo will display on a 30" screen quite well so no need for 2-4 Gb file .
Image resolution on digital devices has gone the way of tininess did for phones where they got so small no human could use them.
Photo resolution is so fine now days the eye can not see 75% of the detail in the image till it is enlarged 1000 times.

As for the solenoid, for now just chop the end off it .
When you shut down, pull the throttle to the lowest position, count to 5 then turn the engine off.
The solenoid provides no useful function other to stop the unburned fuel accumulating in the muffler then going Bang a minute after the engine has stopped.
It does act as a back up should the magneto kill wire fail to shut down the engine but that is a 1 in 10,000,000 event.
Oh okay, thanks very much for those suggestions !;-)
The photos were in computer; the image .jpg file properties show: Dimensions 3624x2448 / Horiz Res 72 dpi / Vert Res 72 dpi / 3.43 MB ...and displays at approx 9" wide x 6 3/4" high - on our 15.6" notebook screen. And when I right-click an image in our 'Pictures' folder (Windows 10 Home) - my only editing choices are "Edit with Photos" & "Edit with Paint 3D". :unsure: And it looks like the best resizing controls are in Paint 3D, where the 'Crop' framing choices are: 16:9, 5:3, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, 9:16.
1:1 brings the width & height down to 2448x2448 px's, but other than I have no idea what I'm doing. ? As I'm not seeing any other resizing options. :~\

Is the shutdown action the only function of the fuel shutdown solenoid? It doesn't assist anything/have any function with starting? I thought it did. :-0

What do you mean by 'just chop the end off it'? :unsure: The red wire broke right where it comes out of the bottom (end?) of the solenoid.
I have a shorter/fatter/squattier solenoid (like you'll see in practical every pic online - from every supplier)—that I unscrewed from a $30 China-made carb that I bought last summer on amaz— that does have the same threads as our existing solenoid, but I haven't tried it yet, as I have to mod the elec connector a bit (our ex. solenoid has a bullet connector), and the short/fat one (off the cheap carb) has a black bumper/seal thing on the top of the vertical piston rod, which ours does not. Not sure if it'll work or not, but gonna try it later today.
The JD price is $95. *ouch* :( ...and it looks just like the cheap short/fat ones on amaz & elsewhere, and just like the one I unscrewed from the cheap $30 carb; so hope it does work, as I'm hoping to not have to dish-out the $95. :~\

Thanks again for your help & suggestions !;-)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a mac so don't ask me about the actual actions needed to resize in a PC .
The only job of the solenoid is the shut down function.
It is an EPA regulation to prevent unburned fuel escaping into the atmosphere which is a noble cause but over kill on a mower engine
Take the solenoid out and chop the plunger right off
Some have a rubber end that can come off & get stuck in the carb so have a peep inside to make sure you can see the main jet .
And yes they are expensive because they are a precision piece of machining , are part of the fuel system so can cause an explosion so big insurance and mainly because they are legally mandated so have to be fitted .

winmod21

Threads
I use a mac so don't ask me about the actual actions needed to resize in a PC .
The only job of the solenoid is the shut down function.
It is an EPA regulation to prevent unburned fuel escaping into the atmosphere which is a noble cause but over kill on a mower engine
Take the solenoid out and chop the plunger right off
Some have a rubber end that can come off & get stuck in the carb so have a peep inside to make sure you can see the main jet .
And yes they are expensive because they are a precision piece of machining , are part of the fuel system so can cause an explosion so big insurance and mainly because they are legally mandated so have to be fitted .
Thanks again for info.
Just today I was wondering about that rubber end piece; wondering if our ex solenoid did have one, and if it disintegrated over time and/or did come off and may still be stuck up in there. So thanks for heads-up on that; I think I glanced in there once or twice—when the bowl came off—but didn't take time to inspect it closely. Though it's been so long since I rebuilt a carburetor....I just hope I can recognize the main jet.

Once upon a time I had a 1947 Ford 1/2 ton - (that we put a 67' Ford 289cid & 67' Warner T-18 4-speed tranny in, but restored all the rest to original showroom quality - incl original 'Village Green' body paint w/'Tacoma Cream' trim paint - looks very similar to this one in link); a 48' F1 - from orig owner; and 51' & 52' F-2's - both from the orig owners; the 52' had sat under a huge wheat barns' side lean-to for 13 years - without ever being started or driven, covered in Mt St. Helen's volcanic dust, but all 4 tires were still full of air, and a couple buddies & I got it started in less that 45 mins. Spotted that one whilst Sage Grouse hunting in the high plains of Douglass County WA, over 4000', of mostly all Winter Wheat farms and ranches, with huge monolithic rock formations deposited during the Columbian Basin ice age flow). Anyhoo, lets just say it's been awhile since I've looked in a carb. *inexplicably missing embarrassed emo*

Attachments

• DouglassCountyWA.jpg
    DouglassCountyWA.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

winmod21

Threads
Hello people, new to the site and today brought my first John Deere mower, now I am a bit old school so I brought a 285, for a steel to be honest, not working, but in better than average condition for age. 987 hrs on the clock. I have spent 2 hrs on it and got it working, which when I picked it up it wouldn't even turn over. All pretty much electrical issues but it has cut the lawn this afternoon, albeit I have had a few head scratching moments lol. All that aside I am very happy with my purchase and once summer is over and the grass is left to go wild, the plan is to fully restore her back to new condition over winter.
So I no doubt will be asking some random questions on here in the future:p and if I can I will willingly help others when there having a bit of a head scratch themselves.
My other mower is a JD S690i combine with a 40ft cut if that counts lol.
So there you go, that's me, a crazy farmer, who will inevitably need help at some point from all you experts on 285 mowers.
Thank you in advance.
pics to come in the future.
Hello farmermark, I'm new here too and just wanted to say I enjoyed reading your re-introduction post, and will be looking forward to reading about your restore project over the winter. As I would love to do the same, someday, with our 20 yr old GT225. So I'll be watching for your future posts. Best to You & Yours.