JD F735 burning oil

Doggydoggen

Threads
i read on the seafoam bottle that you can add this to the engine oil, anyone tried that?

i should have about 70ml in 2.3l oil, your pint and quarts converted to thumbnail_IMG_20200229_232546.jpgliter.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On this side of the pond Seafoam is used by lots of guys with old tractors. We use it in the crankcase and in the gas. It cleans the deposits out.

mac

Threads
I would suggest that you put oil designed for diesel engines. Diesel oil is a little different in composition than oil for gas engines.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would suggest that you put oil designed for diesel engines. Diesel oil is a little different in composition than oil for gas engines.
That's why I would recommend Rotella T6 though the regular Rotella grades will work.

mac

Threads
I still suggest that you use oil designed for Diesel engines. They wouldn’t have produced it if it didn’t make a difference.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The oil you're using is fine. All diesel oils are very high detergent, having TBN's of 15 or so. If there is gunk to clean out, they will do it; that's why they turn black so quickly.

I would not put that transmission seal saver in the engine.

Mow with it for 20-30 hours, changing the oil every ten hours and see if the oil consumption lessens before you tear it apart.

Doggydoggen

Threads
i think i maby find the reason, Wrong dipstick!!!
and also wrong info in the service manual, my manual says 2.27 Liters without oil filter, and then it is to the mark "full" on dipstick,
but when i go to John deere home site it says max oil without oil filter 1.9 liter, so i have about 0,4 liter to much oil in the engine!!!!, i took the air intake off today and i could not believe my eyes, about 2-3 dl oil drained out and the intakes was totally covered with oil, the smoke and burning oil comes from crankcase vent, and ofcourse with 0.4l to much oil in the engine it will overflow, have not had the chance to test if this is the issue, but im pretty sure i solved the problem.
what do you guys think?, 0.4l to mutch oil can force oil out the crankcase vent?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be careful. Diesels can, and will, run on crankcase oil and you have no control over the rpm generated. Lots of diesel engines have been destroyed by inhaling their own lube oil.

Unless you are certain that the dipstick is the wrong one, I'd go by the dipstick, not a quantity specified in a manual, regardless of who wrote the manual.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ahhh I see the problem with the oil fill amounts. Someone didn't pay attention proof reading the manual. It is 2.27 with filter and 1.9 without filter. Got similar info in the owners manual but just before the oil capacity it talks about changing the oil filter.