Is this Toro a good find or not?

Born2Mow

Threads
I would have though on this forum you would be more familiar with the Harley Pup ( same bike ).
No way, man. I always went for the POWER... such as...

tYblQh5l.jpg

The BSA Fire Fly !! :ROFLMAO:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No way, man. I always went for the POWER... such as...

tYblQh5l.jpg

The BSA Fire Fly !! :ROFLMAO:
Nice clean Beagle there, sold in the USA as a Starlite, probably because you got to see a lot of starlight when pushing it home
and that is a 75cc engine as comparred to the 125cc power unit that belongs to the decals.
A friend of mine is preparring one for a speed record attempt on a salt lake, along with an Ariel 3 as apparently no one had attempted those classes so the records are open for both outright speed & flying 1/4 mile

JBplays

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wondering about the engine mainly. Guessing parts for these old 2 smokers are long gone? No doubt in their day, these were top of the line engines right? What do you guys think?

View attachment 56378

slomo
Hey Slomo,
How does yours mow thick, dense grass, compared to a current commercial grade 4 stroke engine, like a Kawi FJ180V or maybe a Honda gcv200?
I've got one Toro 22040, that the previous owner replaced the worn out Zuki 2 stroke to a Kawi FJ180V, and it has plenty of geddi up to get through whatever I put it in! And I recently found another nice Toro 22040, with a nice running Zuki 2 stroker on it. It still mows well, but bogs in the thicker areas of my lawn. And I was really expecting the Zuki TV5002 to outpower the Kawasaki FJ180V, by a long shot!
I'm going to do a compression check, and make sure it's where it needs to be. But it seems to have plenty of compression, and revs pretty high, at full tilt, until I get it in the thick stuff.
I just want yours, and anyone else's opinion that has experience with these beasts...

Thank you in advance!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MY 2 stroke 160cc Victas rip through tall grass far faster than a modern 190cc B & S or Honda on any brand of bowl.
And this applies to the 2 blade rear discharge , 2 blade side discharge and even the 4 blade mulchers although the latter tends to plug up the deck when cutting more then 6".
Bear in mind they are 18" cut & the Hondas are 19 & 21 so perhaps not a totally fair comparison .
The 24" cut still runs rings around any 4 stroke but that mower is belt drive with a 2:1 reduction running at 4000 rpm.
When I get a bit better & catch up on the fine fork there is an 19" Toro with the Suzuki engine I want to run against them.
I am yet to find a 4 stroke that can out cut a 2 stroke

JBplays

Forum Newbie
Threads
MY 2 stroke 160cc Victas rip through tall grass far faster than a modern 190cc B & S or Honda on any brand of bowl.
And this applies to the 2 blade rear discharge , 2 blade side discharge and even the 4 blade mulchers although the latter tends to plug up the deck when cutting more then 6".
Bear in mind they are 18" cut & the Hondas are 19 & 21 so perhaps not a totally fair comparison .
The 24" cut still runs rings around any 4 stroke but that mower is belt drive with a 2:1 reduction running at 4000 rpm.
When I get a bit better & catch up on the fine fork there is an 19" Toro with the Suzuki engine I want to run against them.
I am yet to find a 4 stroke that can out cut a 2 stroke
That's what I was expecting! So, you can imagine my disappointment when I mowed with my really nice, old garage kept Toro, that I found on fb marketplace, and bought, QUICKLY!!
I'm going to go over it this weekend, and check the compression, the exhaust port, and possibly do a leak down on it. It's missing the primer bulb. So I'm wondering if it's even got the original carb on it. But it cranks on the 1st or 2nd pull every time! So, I guess I'll see....

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's what I was expecting! So, you can imagine my disappointment when I mowed with my really nice, old garage kept Toro, that I found on fb marketplace, and bought, QUICKLY!!
I'm going to go over it this weekend, and check the compression, the exhaust port, and possibly do a leak down on it. It's missing the primer bulb. So I'm wondering if it's even got the original carb on it. But it cranks on the 1st or 2nd pull every time! So, I guess I'll see....
I don't know the torque on the Susi's but I would guess at the Briggs Professional 8.75TQ and the Kawasaki FJ180V would eat the Suzuki for lunch. The FJ180V and I must add to the list, Honda GCV200 are stout engines. Course the Kawi with the full pressure lube and grass slaying torque is the king. Would love to see a Kawi in 200cc's like the Honda. What i really want is that Briggs 223cc 10ftlb of torque monster on my Snapper Hi-Vac deck. Insert your Tim the Tool Man grunt here...... If one of my engines ever dies it's getting that 10ftlb monster.

slomo