Is there a way to fix the choke cable?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
So go ahead and invest more money into that foreign crap economy rather than making it work as intended. To each his own.

enigma-2

Threads
If it were me, I'd try using a hot-melt glue gun. A big glob of hot-melt plastic filled between the cable and plastic housing should hold.

enigma-2

Threads
And as others have recommended, think of replacing the cable assembly. I don't know what exact model you have, but if you look on ebay, you'll see that replacment cables run around $10 with free shipping.

If you post your model someone can look up the part number.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Senior, I don’t know if you know that to separate the inner and outer cables you must cut the inner cable to remove the Z-bend and pull it out. If you then glue the outer cable to the casing it will be nearly impossible to reinstall the inner cable and put a new Z-bend on the inner cable. Can it be done your way, yes, but not without more labor than it is worth and if not done perfectly you then have to replace the assembly anyway. As a retired tech I recommend do it right the first time and not worry about it . Your way 1 hour labor minimum, my way 20 minutes and I know it will not come back to haunt me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it were me, I'd try using a hot-melt glue gun. A big glob of hot-melt plastic filled between the cable and plastic housing should hold.
Hot melt glue does not have the strength for this purpose .
JB weld has next to no tensile strength and hot glue is even weaker .
They are the sort of things that rat bags do in order to sell a turkey to an unsuspecting mug for profits .
The only real fix is a replacement , but the reason why the outer came loose has to be addressed first or it will become an annual event .
There are a lot of things that are in the temporary work around category that you would do to complete the days work or keep it running till a proper repair could be done

Gord Baker

Threads
I have some "plumbers tape" 'All Round' that has multiple holes punched in it. Cut a length with 2 holes. Fold it tightly over the black area of the cable with holes aligning. Squeeze tight with pliers. Drill a small hole in the handle and fasten with a metal screw and washer to hold the cable sheath from moving AFTER you get it where it needs to be. Crimping the Brass may work or may crack it..

toolman034

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please see the attached picture. My choke cable sheathing moves from the housing each time I try to use it. IF I hold it in place, it works, but I would like to fix it if possible.
Looking at the picture is that a hole on the hex where the spiral metal cable goes? It may have had a set screw in it that fell out. If not you could probably pull it back and drill and tap a place for one.

Last edited:

strohmoose

Threads
Perhaps a cable clamp would be a solution. Drill a hole to accept the nut and bolt and tighten to hold the cable sheath tight to the handle. The sheath is then secure and the cable an move inside of the sheath. Fishing reel "hot sauce" is a great lubricant!