Is there a way to fix the choke cable?

netrate

Threads
Please see the attached picture. My choke cable sheathing moves from the housing each time I try to use it. IF I hold it in place, it works, but I would like to fix it if possible.

Attachments

• choke.png
    choke.png
    229 KB · Views: 94

bogdaN

Threads
If that tube that cable sliding out is meatal ,than just crimp it, or squuize with plyers .Dan

netrate

Threads
Thank you, I will try that.
I was also thinking about that flex tape or that tape that is supposedly as hard a steel when used? If not, maybe a small hose clamp (not sure if they make them that small though...)

netrate

Threads
Tried the crimping, it didn't work. Not sure if I can buy a new crimp for it or not. If not, I am going to have to think of another way.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I recommend replacing the entire control cable assembly. I’ve never had any luck trying to repair them. Any methods I’ve tried end up breaking and I’m back to square one.

netrate

Threads
Ok, that is what I was thinking next. I was going to try some gorilla tape until I can get a new one - the season for lawn cutting is just about done here anyway.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tape will not do the job.
Several layers of glued heat shrink tube ( it comes with glue & without glue, guess which is the cheaper one ) over the top after a few punches with a fine centre punch some times works
But the cost of the tube is more than a replacement universal cable.
A cable maker should have ferrules of the right size to rip yours off and fit a new one but most of these places have a minimum charge and again that is less than the price of making a new one
Not familiar with your machine but usually a choke cable is clamped tight at the carb end and some times at the control end as well
The outer only needs to be clamped in one place to stop it moving.
What generally happens is the inner rusts solid to the outer so way back when it started to become stiff, you were stretching & compressing the outer rather than moving the inner through the outer if the clamp is tight
If not you were moving the entire cable and the clamp has fallen off .
The throttle cable on the HRC mowers down here are notorious for doing this because the cable run is poor so the cable must be lubed regularly which no one ever does
You need to remove the cabe both ends then try to move it back & forth to check it is running through the outer and the best test is to grab on end with pliers & try to rotate the inner without the outer moving ( cut finger warning applies )
If the inner is actually free you can buy "Bowden Cable Ferrules " from cable suppliers but they generally come in bag sizes of around 100 which again are more expensive than a replacement universal cable .
All real mower shops will have rolls of replacement cables some might even keep ferrules, if not push bike shops may keep them

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the sheathing out, clean the cable and the interior of the crimp material well, apply JB weld and insert it back in leaving it for 12 hours. Before using spray the cable sheath full length with your favorite lubricant.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
JB weld
Really ?
All that stuff is actually good for is filling cracks & dents in crankcases and even then it is hit & miss.
Devcon is 1000 times better and I would not use that for this purpose either
And the choke cable has a Z bend at both ends so no chance of removing the inner from the outer without cutting the end off
Then you have to cut the outer off to compensate for shorter inner
I have a feeling you have never seen the actual cable nor repaired one

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seen this done a couple of times and love it, as now there is no other resolution than full replacement. Have also seen where DIY guys have taken a heat gun to the casing and melted it around the cable shell.