Is anyone getting ready for winter?

gfp55

Threads
I have been using a snow blower for the last many years. I find that blowing snow I get a lot of snow blown into my face. So this year I bought a snow blade for my ATV. Don't know how well it will work compared to the blowing snow but will find out???

If you have never plowed snow with a blade before it is much faster then using a snow blower. The only thing that you may want to take into account when using a blade is after you push the snow off the driveway/sidewalk what have you is that you need to push the snow back far enough so every time it snows you will have some place to put the new snow.

detdrbuzzard

Threads
I have to put belts on the toro 521 and I have to put belts and shoes on the toro xl824 powershift, i'll get it done in the next couple weeks

gcrabb

Forum Newbie
Threads
A little early, don't think about until the leaves drop.

Maybe mid November.

But when it does it doesn't take long to get ready and this year we have a new JD 4720 with a cab - HEAT.

Attachments

• DCFC0055.jpg
    DCFC0055.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3315.jpg
    IMG_3315.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 25

tigercat

Threads
I run 2 snowblowers for my property. A primary and a spare. My old spare I didn't care for as I prefer Ariens brand machines. So I sold the off brand older machine and hunted for another Ariens to back up my 30" machine. I found a 28" Ariens snowblower for $800, but the carburetor was in need of repair. The machine was lightly used otherwise.
I went thru the machine. I replaced the spark plug, added fresh engine oil, and ended up replacing the carburetor and I removed the original light and I added a head light that works like a head light should. Then I added a set of my custom "rolling skids" to the machine. I drove it around the driveway making believe I was cleaning the driveway last month and everything seems ready for snow duty. I felt a little silly but with the rolling skids up front, it rides on 4 tires. You need to be careful if you walk away from it, if you park it on a hill, she will roll down the hill. The roller skids don't wear out and that was the reason I put them on. I formally would replace a set every winter. I have long cement walks and the basic skids just rub down to nothing in a few months. If you have the "auto steer" Ariens machine, these rolling skids will help the machine track straight on your paved driveway. (Another reason I use them on the 30" machine).

On my larger Ariens, I added a snow cab. I'm not sure if I will like it, but it removes easily so I will find out.

Here are the pictures

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
tigercat,
You are making me envious of all the nice orange machines that you have!!! Ariens makes some nice machines!!
I gave up doing snow removal for my customers the year before we had the Biggie snow storms!! I used to haul around two Ingersoll GTs, one with a 48" snow blower, the other with a 54" plow. I'm now down to one GT, but I still have the blower and the plow and only do my place and several neighbors. My place has crushed stone on the driveway, but my neighbors have pavement, so I sometimes swap out the plow and the blower.
One customer that I had years back has a long dirt driveway, but approaching the house was a $70,000 fancy paver deal. I installed Ariens carbon fiber skid shoes on the Ingersoll blower and rubber tire chains on the tractor rear wheels to do this driveway and I would use the other tractor with the plow to do the 700 feet of dirt driveway. One day he told me that he had a better price from someone else, so I got paid and left. The "better' price guy came in with a 4 wheel drive truck with a metal plow and proceeded to tear up the big dollar pavers!!! The property owner called me and asked me to come back, but when I doubled the price, he hung up on me and that is what I wanted him to do!!! A friend lives next to this place and I can see that the pavers are still piled up!!! There was a time that I actually liked snow, but back then I was a young energetic crazy Scotsman, now I'm just old!!!!:rolleyes::eek::confused2:
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just got done getting my snow blowers ready. New oil, plug, belt, and fuel filter. Cleaned it up and waxed the chutes.

Filed my shovels down so they are flat again:)

Threads
Today I will be changing the oil on the snowblower, and replacing the shoes. Then it's ready to go. Some forecasters are saying we will get hit hard like last winter, others are saying it will be mild. Yeah, those are pretty much the only possible things that can happen! :rolleyes: