inMower will not start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the valve lash
Also take the spark plug out and see if the engine cranks over fine
If it spins really quick without the plug but won't crank plug in that shows too much compression.

Lui_5793

Threads
Check the valve lash
Also take the spark plug out and see if the engine cranks over fine
If it spins really quick without the plug but won't crank plug in that shows too much compression.
This was all with the spark plug in. I did it before with it out and it spun over but turn over speed stayed the same. Engine also sounds as if something was dragging it from going any faster, which I do have traction belt removed so that eliminates any restrictions. This was before I tore into the engine and I can’t remember if I adjusted the valves after putting it all back together but I will do that next and see if there is any change. I’m sure I’m doing it right but how would I go about adjusting the valves CORRECTLY? I’ve seen people do it with both valves closed and others do it when one valve is closed and another is fully open.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cranks slow plug in & plug out = bad starter or tight engine
Bring your car / truck within jumper lead range .
Hook the + to the power cable where it goes into the starter motor as you probably have a shift starter ( solenoid is on the side of the starter )
Then connect the - to a good ground like the engine lift hook
The engine should crank fast
IF it does then you battery or connections or solenoid are bad
If not then the starter is bad

Lui_5793

Threads
Cranks slow plug in & plug out = bad starter or tight engine
Bring your car / truck within jumper lead range .
Hook the + to the power cable where it goes into the starter motor as you probably have a shift starter ( solenoid is on the side of the starter )
Then connect the - to a good ground like the engine lift hook
The engine should crank fast
IF it does then you battery or connections or solenoid are bad
If not then the starter is bad
Starter solenoid is underneath the seat. Starter has only the hot wire to starter post. Should still work ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
YEs
Do the + first to where the + wire bolts onto the starter motor
Be careful that the clip is only on the nut & not touching the body with is ground .
Then connect the battery - followed by touching it to the engine
You will get a BIG spark as it is pulling a lot of amps
Let us know how it goes
Do not connect to the battery last because the big sparks can melt the lead battery terminals

Lui_5793

Threads
YEs
Do the + first to where the + wire bolts onto the starter motor
Be careful that the clip is only on the nut & not touching the body with is ground .
Then connect the battery - followed by touching it to the engine
You will get a BIG spark as it is pulling a lot of amps
Let us know how it goes
Do not connect to the battery last because the big sparks can melt the lead battery terminals
Okay, so first connect car battery positive to positive starter post.
Then connect car battery negative to engine hook
Correct ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes and be preparred for an arc welder sized spark which is why there is a solenoid in there in the first place
Connecting the ground - last means that if you slip & touch some thing else you will not short your vehicles battery
I use the same proceedure to check the mowers + & - battery leads

Lui_5793

Threads
Yes and be preparred for an arc welder sized spark which is why there is a solenoid in there in the first place
Connecting the ground - last means that if you slip & touch some thing else you will not short your vehicles battery
I use the same proceedure to check the mowers + & - battery leads
would using the mower battery not in mower and having the jumper cables connected to it work as well or does it have to be a car battery? Would that just defeat the purpose of using the mower battery ?

Lui_5793

Threads
so I got my test results:I did check valve clearance and from what the manual for the mower states, lash should be around .004-.006 so I went with .005 and checked. Both valves had some drag to them but other than that, they were not tight nor loose. I started to jump the mower with the battery it currently has, engine turned over slow. I then brought my truck and repeated the process, same result. I could also smell the starter, like a plastic melting smell. Guess the starter is the issue ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you try it plugs in and plugs out ?
If it is slow both ways then either the engine has a partial seizure or the starter is kaput
If you can put your palm on the debris screen on the debris screen & rotate the engine then the only thing left is the starter .