I drove a gravely for the 1st time today

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Had a guy at work get bucked off a 0-turn. Mower kept right on going. Slammed into a nice new Jeep whatever mobile $$$$.

bkeller500

Threads
When you get past the entry level ZT's, most brands are very similar. They all pretty much have the same hydros, motors and tires. Deck design varies a little and some convenience things change a little. When you narrow down the choices you focus on 2 or 3 things that you feel are superior but in reality they are not much different. When you get to the Pro models there are other features that the residential models likely do not have. Most important to me is how well the deck is supported and can it be easily leveled, Is there a nice wide chute for the grass to exit, and is the seat comfortable. Some models offer a suspension system or a suspension seat and if you plan to spend a lot of time on your mower, those are a must. The cheap zt's will likely disappoint you so strongly consider a mid-range or higher. If traction is you most important issue due to hills and ditches you will be much happier with a tractor.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you get past the entry level ZT's, most brands are very similar. They all pretty much have the same hydros, motors and tires. Deck design varies a little and some convenience things change a little. When you narrow down the choices you focus on 2 or 3 things that you feel are superior but in reality they are not much different. When you get to the Pro models there are other features that the residential models likely do not have. Most important to me is how well the deck is supported and can it be easily leveled, Is there a nice wide chute for the grass to exit, and is the seat comfortable. Some models offer a suspension system or a suspension seat and if you plan to spend a lot of time on your mower, those are a must. The cheap zt's will likely disappoint you so strongly consider a mid-range or higher. If traction is you most important issue due to hills and ditches you will be much happier with a tractor.

Comfort is a big thing for me. I have a back that's just looking for a reason to start hurting again. I agree on how most are the same. As far as cutting, that's the mowers main objective. They all do that. Even the MTD low end brands.
Comfort, good quality so I don't have to start fixing stuff the few years. Availability of parts (and their prices) and engineered to be able to work on it without a lot of trouble. Like hiding the damn solenoid, no room to get a socket on the starter mounting bolts etc etc

pollishpickle

Threads
I have a Gravely Proturn 460 and my sister in law has an older Gravely 52 or 54 and I had to mow for her as her husband left her. I used her mower and swore I would never use it again as it has no suspension and mine has an air ride seat it about killed me from the bouncing. My wife ask why I was taking pain pills and I told her that all the bouncing killed my back I used my mower 2 time over there and it was like a dream mowing.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Comfort is a big thing for me. I have a back that's just looking for a reason to start hurting again. I agree on how most are the same. As far as cutting, that's the mowers main objective. They all do that. Even the MTD low end brands.
Comfort, good quality so I don't have to start fixing stuff the few years. Availability of parts (and their prices) and engineered to be able to work on it without a lot of trouble. Like hiding the damn solenoid, no room to get a socket on the starter mounting bolts etc etc
I just finished 3 acres with my Pro Turn 160. My back isn’t hurting at all. That’s what makes suspension seats a plus. I had a car wreck back in 1977 and had a compression fracture of my 2nd and 3rd lumbar.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Gravely Proturn 460 and my sister in law has an older Gravely 52 or 54 and I had to mow for her as her husband left her. I used her mower and swore I would never use it again as it has no suspension and mine has an air ride seat it about killed me from the bouncing. My wife ask why I was taking pain pills and I told her that all the bouncing killed my back I used my mower 2 time over there and it was like a dream mowing.

I used to drive a semi, coast to coast. Weeks and weeks out on the road at a time. I had air ride seats in it. Could raise it, lower it. Put as much air in the cylinder as I wanted. Also, the seat has air bags for the lower back, upper back. It was like a $1200 seat back then (that I got out of a scrap yard for free.)
Anywho, After coming off the road, I was glad to be in my pick up. EXCEPT for the fact that it is a dodge, with what felt like plywood seats.
I wished I could've put that seat in my dodge when I sold the semi. Putting something like that on a ztr, heck yeah.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just finished 3 acres with my Pro Turn 160. My back isn’t hurting at all. That’s what makes suspension seats a plus. I had a car wreck back in 1977 and had a compression fracture of my 2nd and 3rd lumbar.

I don't know what I did to my back, but since before Christmas of last yes, it's been giving me fits. And it's SOO easy to flare up. When it first started hurting, I swear, I couldn't even put my socks on. Much less tie my shoes. When I got able to go to town, I had to go get a pedicure because I couldn't reach my toenails to cut'm.
And now, all of my shoes have to be slip ons.
Most days now, everything starts out good. And I can do just about anything. I get used to that, and BAM!!!!!!!! I do something like trying to lift something heavy, or even reaching down up pull up my sock, and it's over. No rhyme or reason. Just when it wants to.
After mowing that yard for two days, I can feel it coming on. I felt it about an hour before I was done today. It was getting tender.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to drive a semi, coast to coast. Weeks and weeks out on the road at a time. I had air ride seats in it. Could raise it, lower it. Put as much air in the cylinder as I wanted. Also, the seat has air bags for the lower back, upper back. It was like a $1200 seat back then (that I got out of a scrap yard for free.)
Anywho, After coming off the road, I was glad to be in my pick up. EXCEPT for the fact that it is a dodge, with what felt like plywood seats.
I wished I could've put that seat in my dodge when I sold the semi. Putting something like that on a ztr, heck yeah.
There are some models that come with air ride seats. Those mowers are the top of the line. The one on my Pro Turn 160 has a dial you set according to your weight.