I drove a gravely for the 1st time today

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the first time I've mowed for a long period of time on one. Spent about 2.5hours on it. It's a 52" cut, IIRC. Decent size Kawasaki engine.

Darn thing bout beat me to death. The landlord said she'd knock $100 off my rent if I mowed her big ass yard. Good grief man, she's got a huge place. And there's some pretty good size bumps. But for the most part it's pretty flat.
What I learned.
It sucks mowing on the side of the ditch. Slips and slides a lot. Not near enough traction.
The grass wasn't too tall. But very thick. The mower had a hard time not losing HP in the thicker stuff. Even when I slowed down.

But the main thing was how uncomfortable it was. I see now why she wanted me to mow it for her. Good grief. Seriously like a tank. In fact, I think a tank maybe better.

I'm getting in my mind to buy a new ztr. But not going to buy a Gravely.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the first time I've mowed for a long period of time on one. Spent about 2.5hours on it. It's a 52" cut, IIRC. Decent size Kawasaki engine.

Darn thing bout beat me to death. The landlord said she'd knock $100 off my rent if I mowed her big ass yard. Good grief man, she's got a huge place. And there's some pretty good size bumps. But for the most part it's pretty flat.
What I learned.
It sucks mowing on the side of the ditch. Slips and slides a lot. Not near enough traction.
The grass wasn't too tall. But very thick. The mower had a hard time not losing HP in the thicker stuck. Even when I slowed down some.

But the main thing was how uncomfortable it was. I see how why she wanted me to mower for her. Good grief.

I'm getting in my mind to buy a new ztr. But not going to buy a Gravely.
The ride on my Gravely is a big improvement over my former Toro Timecutter HD. My Gravely has a suspension seat and the Toro didn’t. It also handles slopes better than the Toro.
Did you check the air pressure in the tires before mowing?
My Pro Turn has plenty of power.
It’s all about what you are willing to spend on a mower.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if you want good suspension, Toro my-ride....

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, the Toro Titan with MyRide would be a good choice. The Titan MAX with MyRide is another. Stay away from the Timecutter.
The Toros may be hard to find. Toro seems to have low inventory. I think that they are trying to fill the gap with Kohler engines where they had Toro branded Loncin 708cc engines.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
@PTmowerMech
It sounds like you are describing a Ferris IS700.

You get me excited when you even say the word "Ferris." But, I have doubts about Ferris future. Plus there's not a Ferris dealer anywhere close to hear. I think the closest is like 1.5hrs away.

I don't know why, but I just keep leaning towards Spartan.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Happy Hunting. Many Dealers are struggling to get new stock ..

TBH, I'll probably end up putting an engine in the Husq, and just keep on going. Letting go of thousands of dollars, jus to cut grass... That's hard to swallow.

Ron3

Threads
Probably had dull blades, I’ll adjusted tire pressure, poor engine tune and who knows what else is going own with that particular gravely . I don’t own a gravely but most owners like them. Just my 2 cents.