Hydro Transaxle gets a bit slow when it warms up

Skippydiesel

Threads
It should do better since the oil was burnt. But you at least replace that bad fan and clean the exterior of the unit. They are around $10.
I would if it was my mower BUT here is a short list of what needs doing ;
  • Extensive corrosion and paint loss
  • Transaxle cooling fan broken
  • Drive belt needs replacing
  • Left cutter deck spindle bearings worn out
  • Left front wheel bearings worn out
  • Tyres don’t hold pressure
  • Engine in need of a major service
  • Cutter deck – heavy corrosion/badly dented and even “ripped” in places
AND the owner seems unwilling to fork out any more than $250 Au.
The above list will go to the owner, as a condition report, with the advice to act on it.

FYI - recently purchased a similar fan for a Ferris from memory, not much change out of $70 AU (had to come from the States)

Skippydiesel

Threads
The fans are not expensive just check that you order the right one as they come in push or pull blade angles
Without the fan the oil will overheat get too thin and loose traction.
An essential job with every service is to thoroughly clean the transmission
I use a very long air duster bought from Cheap & nasty car parts almost a decade ago
Do not use water as it just sets the dust into concrete .
Took me well over an hour, with compressed air wand, to clean the crud from this mower. Even then there was more cleaning, after I got the transaxle out.

My own equipment (I have 5 ride-ons, two push mowers, several chainsaws & brushcutters and fire pumps) are thouroughly cleaned with compressed air ONLY after every use. I advise all my customers to do likewise and NOT use water, don't cut wet grass, etc - falls on deaf ears.

Auto Doc's

Threads
"Terryl fixes all" has a video on these Tuff Torque drives.

One thing that needs attention is the wear plate. They need to be resurfaced flat using flat tempered glass Or, similar true flat surface) and 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Along with that use thin .020-inch shims under the pressure springs inside the plungers.

Use the recommended John Deere Torq Guard fluid. Substitutes often cause problems. Sorry, "synthetic" is an advertising gimmick to charge a higher price. All oils are a majority of base oil products with additives.

Option 2 is to find a suitable replacement. These differentials were not exclusive to John Deere riders. ATP/AYP and Toro builds many of the riders and push even to this day. Tuff Torque (TM) units were installed in most riders with hydrostatic transmissions.

Zero turn mowers mostly use Parker brand hydrostatic motors