How to thin out grass that is *way* too thick?

Peva

Threads
My son in law is in a nightmare every mowing season keeping his lawn (approx. 3/4 acre urban lot) cut. The grass is way too thick - the neighbors tell him that the man who owned the house two owners before him was obsessive about overseeding - he was out there over-seeding all the time, and that's what created the problem.

I'm not a landscaper, but I'll just say that you've got to see this grass to believe it - if you try to slip your fingers down to dirt, you can't get there - there is absolutely no space between blades down near the ground.

About 4 years ago, he bought a Cub Cadet walk behind thinking it might handle it - it looks to be maybe the CC760 model (looking at pictures of current models). I know the engine is a 10.5 HP. But the engine doesn't have a problem - it's the belt - requires replacing often, and the mower can barely cut it on even the highest blade setting and creeping along - it takes him much of his off time to cut it - and he sometimes doesn't get it finished.

He has hired a pro to cut it a couple of times, and their professional-grade mowers were able to cut it, but they told him it was tough to do even with their equipment.

Out of desparation, he's starting to talk about getting a really expensive pro-grade mower. To help him avoid that, I've been trying to think of how to drastically thin out the grass. I know dethatchers aren't made for this purpose, but I'm thinking renting one of those and devoting a whole weekend to the chore, we could use that to pull up a lot of the extra grass and thin it out. I know it's going to create a huge pile of debris, but we'll just haul that off in my F-150 (several full loads I'm sure). I told him that even if it pulls up 90% of the grass and it looks like crap at first, so what, in a year or two, he could have it to being a "normal" lawn. I suggested also that after the dethatching, he could also rent an aerator - that would likely help the remaining grass spread to a more natural spacing and begin to breathe a little - that wouldn't have to be done right away, but might be a good additional step.

What are your thoughts? Short of doing a chemical scorched-earth treatment and totally starting the lawn over, is there any merit to my idea of using a power dethatcher? Better ideas?

Thanks for any help.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
My son in law is in a nightmare every mowing season keeping his lawn (approx. 3/4 acre urban lot) cut. The grass is way too thick - the neighbors tell him that the man who owned the house two owners before him was obsessive about overseeding - he was out there over-seeding all the time, and that's what created the problem.

I'm not a landscaper, but I'll just say that you've got to see this grass to believe it - if you try to slip your fingers down to dirt, you can't get there - there is absolutely no space between blades down near the ground.

About 4 years ago, he bought a Cub Cadet walk behind thinking it might handle it - it looks to be maybe the CC760 model (looking at pictures of current models). I know the engine is a 10.5 HP. But the engine doesn't have a problem - it's the belt - requires replacing often, and the mower can barely cut it on even the highest blade setting and creeping along - it takes him much of his off time to cut it - and he sometimes doesn't get it finished.

He has hired a pro to cut it a couple of times, and their professional-grade mowers were able to cut it, but they told him it was tough to do even with their equipment.

Out of desparation, he's starting to talk about getting a really expensive pro-grade mower. To help him avoid that, I've been trying to think of how to drastically thin out the grass. I know dethatchers aren't made for this purpose, but I'm thinking renting one of those and devoting a whole weekend to the chore, we could use that to pull up a lot of the extra grass and thin it out. I know it's going to create a huge pile of debris, but we'll just haul that off in my F-150 (several full loads I'm sure). I told him that even if it pulls up 90% of the grass and it looks like crap at first, so what, in a year or two, he could have it to being a "normal" lawn. I suggested also that after the dethatching, he could also rent an aerator - that would likely help the remaining grass spread to a more natural spacing and begin to breathe a little - that wouldn't have to be done right away, but might be a good additional step.

What are your thoughts? Short of doing a chemical scorched-earth treatment and totally starting the lawn over, is there any merit to my idea of using a power dethatcher? Better ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Can use a core aerator and rake up the plugs? That would thin it out a bit

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If he would not let it get tall that even with the deck all the way up he had trouble cutting it.

Most people wish they where so lucky to have grass like this. Cut it every week keep it under 3 inch.

If the belt slips and the engine does not big down then get a belt a half inch shorter. Or clean your pulleys The engine should stall before the belt slips.

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

Peva

Threads
Carscw - The problem is that the time it takes if he were to gear down low enough to keep it short (he works full time and right now is taking classes towards a degree - almost finished). Think of trying to paint the San Francisco Bay Bridge if the paint started flaking off and it started rusting before you got even half way across it. If it rains, that's time (when he's not working or studying) that he can't cut it, and then it grows rapidly from the rain, then he can never catch up - that's why I call it a nightmare. :) I'll mention to him about cleaning the pulleys, and maybe trying a shorter belt (if it will work that way - not sure if it would allow the blade to cutoff with a shorter belt).

In fact, I sent him the link to the discussion, and he's reading this now. Hey Danny - register and join in the discussion if you want to! :)

Exotion and corba2k1 - What you say makes sense. I just hope the aerator can punch thru the depth and density. We may just have to bite the bullet and dedicate a weekend, take most of a Saturday to cut it shorter like Carscw suggests - maybe cut twice at different heights (and have an extra belt on hand - at $30 each!), and then aerate and rake up the plugs (maybe haul them over to my yard :) ).

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Go to a auto parts store but two cheap belts a half inch shorter. If he can bag then bag. The cut clippings are harder to recut than the grass it self. Or make a row of clippings and pick them up. U know its going to take a whole day but do it three times if you have to. Get it down under a inch with all the clippings gone. I know it's a lot of work but you have to spend some time now to save some time later. If I was close by I would come scalp it down just for the fun of doing it. I love cutting thick grass.
I have a old craftsman with a kabota on it with double belts on the deck. Lots of fun

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Go to a auto parts store but two cheap belts a half inch shorter. If he can bag then bag. The cut clippings are harder to recut than the grass it self. Or make a row of clippings and pick them up. U know its going to take a whole day but do it three times if you have to. Get it down under a inch with all the clippings gone. I know it's a lot of work but you have to spend some time now to save some time later. If I was close by I would come scalp it down just for the fun of doing it. I love cutting thick grass.
I have a old craftsman with a kabota on it with double belts on the deck. Lots of fun

Also maybe hire a mow crew to do it weekly if time is in issuse

A

AmericanTurf

I'm thinking if its sooo thick, you would think it would start to choke its self out.
I wondering if a lot of weeds would be a good thing as to choke out the grass. After that get rid of the weeds. There's also a product that "locks" the grass from growing after mowing it. I would consitrate on starving the root system. Good luck

A

AmericanTurf

I forgot to add that in my opinion core cultivating it would PROMOTE a better root system. That's the opposite of what you are trying to achive.

A

AmericanTurf

Mowing it really short will stress the root system *** others said. You gotta tackle the root system!!! Haha