How to repair a rusting Toro mower deck

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Toro 20370 push behind mower. I have some areas on the exterior mower deck that have started to chip away and rust. The deck has not rusted any holes through yet as I am attempting to fix it as quick as possible.
The areas of rust are on the top of the deck between the area where of the black rear plastic piece rests on the top of the rear mower deck(I know, maybe confusing but hard to explain). The water sets on the area between the plastic piece and the deck, thus rust.

What are steps. and suggested products I need to use to fix my rust issues. Thanks.

Attachments

• toro.png
    toro.png
    42.8 KB · Views: 14

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to these Forums....
Sand, sand blast or wire brush the rust, then prime & Paint... will work for a while... but unfortunately Rust is going to be the winner... once it gets started, it won't go away.
:smile:KennyV
PS... like your user name... What part of Kansas are you in?

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are a number of products that will convert the rust to a primed paintable surface. Here are a few to choose from.

p38044c.jpg
Rust%20Prime%20Group.jpg
s_trmt_extend_spray.png
gemplers-rust-converter-RCG.jpg
fr10104.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like said earlier rust is hard to stop. I live in upper NY which is rust country because they salt the roads for ice in the winter. I know a guy that once a year would spray old motor oil on the bottom of his pick up truck. It looked like it made a big mess and I didn't like the looks of it but his truck never rusted. You might try that?