How much weight is too much?

kermit911

Threads
Hello, I have owned my tractor (If it is classified as a tractor 917.273460) for almost 10 years and this will be the first year I am going to use it for snow removal. In reading a lot of posts, one of the big problems is not enough weight and the tires start to slip. There are wheel weights and bucket weights, and chains but what is the limit of weight before you start to damage the tractor? I weight a healthy :eek: 250 pounds with 5 gallons of fuel under my seat, so that's another 55 lbs. Plus 45 pound wheel weights times 2 and a 50 pound bucket weight in the back. Totaling 445 pounds (if I did my math right :smile:) Now where is the breaking point for the axles / hydrostatic drive / frame / etc.? Now when I say breaking point I mean damaging them, not actual snapping in two. :thumbsup:

Thanks
Dave

Any recommendation for a first time snow removal run? I have never done this before and could use any information all you vets have for me. :biggrin: I leave in two days to pick up a snow blower 842.240510 and chains. $220.00

Attachments

• snow blower.jpeg
    snow blower.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 19

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have an owners manual ? It should give you a ballpark weight limit. Usually you could find the manual online.

Not being familiar with the model, if it is a "lawn tractor" it will be built to handle less weight than a "garden tractor".

Someone familiar with this model will probably help more. :biggrin:

kermit911

Threads
Do you have an owners manual ? It should give you a ballpark weight limit. Usually you could find the manual online.

Not being familiar with the model, if it is a "lawn tractor" it will be built to handle less weight than a "garden tractor".

Someone familiar with this model will probably help more. :biggrin:

Thanks for the responce, I do have the manual but it says nothing about weight limitations. This is what my craftsman owners manual says, "Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for wheel weights or counterweights to improve stability." Isn't Craftsman the manufacture? :biggrin:

kermit911

Threads
Here is the manual.

Attachments

• L0308208.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 17

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman is the name stuck on it by Sears - they have quite a few companies make tractors for them. I don't see anything in the manual about who made it.
Look for the model and serial # tag and see if it is on that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are mounting a blower... with that you will not need a lot of weight ...

If you were mounting a blade and thinking of plowing snow, Then you would need a lot of weight...
You should be fine without going too extreme... :smile:KennyV

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 12 HP wheel horse with a snow blower with tire chains and wheel weights. I don't have any traction problems but could use a little more HP. I googled your tractor and it looks like you shouldn't have any problem with a snow blower on that tractor.

kermit911

Threads
Awesome, thanks everyone. This makes me feel a lot better. I'll just put chains and wheel weights on my tractor and see how it works. You guys ROCK!!!:thumbsup:

kermit911

Threads
Craftsman is the name stuck on it by Sears - they have quite a few companies make tractors for them. I don't see anything in the manual about who made it.
Look for the model and serial # tag and see if it is on that.

Now that's interesting, I would like to know who made my tractor. Should there be a separate manual from the manufacturer? I will check out the tag when I get home and see if it says anything. Any idea where the tag might be?

Thanks
Dave

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those tags are generally not too hard to find. Some are near the key switch or on a frame member.
Someone that is familiar with the model (or someone at Sears) should be able to tell you.