Engine How does my solenoid work? Unable to start.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The green solenoid wire goes from the key switch to a relay. I have been told these relays can fail and may be responsible for my failure to crank problem. Can you advise how to check the relay? I had tested the safety switches for continuity earlier but not for voltage and they were ok. What do you think?

Buy a new relay of the correct part number from your Scag dealer and install it. The green with black tracer coming from the relay plug goes to the electronic control module. When all the safety circuits are correctly positioned for cranking, the module will ground the relay and allow voltage from the key switch in the start position (green wire) to close the relay which in turn will operate the start solenoid and allow high amperage power to turn the starter motor.
Otherwise do as suggested and get this machine to a Scag dealer that has quality service. I'm out!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have worked for enough dealers to know that they wouldn't swap out any electrical parts. They don't swap out parts in their own shop much less for a customer. What they will do, and a very good chance for free test it for you.

Using new parts from the parts dept as trouble shooting tools, done it many times. But there are many service departments that will keep on swapping out parts until either the item finally operates or the parts and labor bill total becomes to many $$$$$$$$$!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought that you were "out"!!!!

I think that we are on the same page anyway!!!

Many times there are 2 or 3 relays on a unit, and they are all the same the relay, so swapping them out would be a good idea if they are indeed the same.

I always enjoyed being on hold at the Scag tech phone lines, and these kids tried to read from a book how to test these relays and modules After sitting on the phone for a few hours, the good techs would just sneak into the parts room and grab the damn module and plug it in, and see if that was the cure......

Hell, if us chumps here could figure it out for you. we would be making big bucks......... Well, no, in this industry, we would still be making $15 an hour.........

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
And if we or anyone else figured it out for you, you would pay us/him nothing.....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well, let us leave him with his "cook".....

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry, I'll log out for a while......

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Using new parts from the parts dept as trouble shooting tools, done it many times. But there are many service departments that will keep on swapping out parts until either the item finally operates or the parts and labor bill total becomes to many $$$$$$$$$!!!
Mad Mackie in CT

Its always been a thing that wasn't done at any dealer I worked for. Not new parts. We had to test them to see if they were bad. Maybe a small dealer would do such a thing? Now how would you like to buy a new used part from a dealer not to mention a lot of new parts come in a sealed package. Now I have worked for a large company and yes we could swap parts but never at a dealer. Also I have done that, swap a relay around on the same vehicle many times because its a easy way to test them. Now working for myself I just don't have parts laying around to swap so I have to know if they are bad or good. I know you might not like this but the person that just swaps parts I will say they don't know what they are doing.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tell me how you test a Scag P/N 483029 electronic interlock module???
Tell me how you test a Scag P/N 483537 hour meter?
Tell me how you test a B&S P/N 797375 regulator?
Tell us that as a power equipment service technician that you have NEVER EVER used a new or serviceable part as a troubleshooting tool to diagnose a problem on a piece of equipment!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

John Ambrosia

Threads
After 3 pages, we recommend you take it to a Scag dealer and beg them to swap out electrical parts!!!

Sorry........ We are just a batch of bad cooks.....

Not a bad cook among the group!! This is a good challenge and I will get to the solution soon enough-and I am learning a ton along the way. I only wish I had more time to devote to the process all at once instead of attacking it a few minutes here and there.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought that you were "out"!!!!

I think that we are on the same page anyway!!!

Many times there are 2 or 3 relays on a unit, and they are all the same the relay, so swapping them out would be a good idea if they are indeed the same.

I always enjoyed being on hold at the Scag tech phone lines, and these kids tried to read from a book how to test these relays and modules After sitting on the phone for a few hours, the good techs would just sneak into the parts room and grab the damn module and plug it in, and see if that was the cure......

Hell, if us chumps here could figure it out for you. we would be making big bucks......... Well, no, in this industry, we would still be making $15 an hour.........

Hi Fish, no doubt we are on the same page!!!
There are times when I enjoy a good retort!!!! There must be something as to why my Army co-workers named me Mad Mackie, even our Colonel picked up on it, plus a few more nick names that I won't mention here!!!!!
Later
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited: