Honda 389cc engine binding in one spot

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
No such thing as stupid questions, but there can be stupid answers :LOL: asking questions it's how you learn.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I understand Berts answer. As in "No, don't reuse that one. But an OEM one. (as in not a Stens one)

I'm just making sure. Tomorrow is my Stens order day.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
a Honda one is 2.95 @parts tree, that's not bad for a headgasket,

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
a Honda one is 2.95 @parts tree, that's not bad for a headgasket,

No, it's not the price I'm worried about. But parts tree is at least 3 to 4 days from arriving. Customer needs this Saturday morning. Make my order by 1pm tomorrow, I'll get it friday, and it'll be ready to go. It's a commercial customer.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
AS will a screw that has dropped out of the throttle or choke butterfly .
This is the time hen that Bore-0-scope you have been thinking about buying suddenly becomes an essential item.
But get a good one that hooks up to our PC & can look backwards as well as forewards .
Down the plug hole then down the sump drain (after the oil is gone .) can save a lot of time on a rejected repair quote.

I got my endoscope in, I peeked down into a Briggs single that I suspected the compression release had broken on. And wadda know, the compression release in it was still in tact. Except it's worn down to the point it doesn't release any compression. Still needs a new one. But at least I don't have to worry about pieces of it getting caught in the cam gear or other places.
After advising the customer of this, and showing them the picture, they decided to just let me have the mower.

It's a shame it's an old one. I'm not sure if I wanna put a new cam in it. Or just a new battery with more cranking amps. I've already got new new drive belts, new carburetor, filters, gas and oil in it. Being this late in the year, I think I'd have trouble selling it for $500.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Gee, thanks for putting a lot of parts on my mower but now it looks too expensive to really fix so why don't you keep it and eat the parts?" Have a nice day!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Gee, thanks for putting a lot of parts on my mower but now it looks too expensive to really fix so why don't you keep it and eat the parts?" Have a nice day!

Uh huh, this was one of my take ins before I started almost demanding money up front. And one of the reasons I had to start taking in "up front" money.