Hibernation is about over.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Things seem to run in spurts. Hadn't worked on an old style tecumseh carb in a while but had to clean and rebuild 3 in the last 2 days. A old tiller and 2 old snowblowers. I will probably see the snownnlowers again as people seem to think draining the fuel is against the law. I love the folks who call and want to get in for annual maint and ask if it will ba a day or 2. I have 6 waiting for me to pick up besides what i have in the shop now. Tis the season.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I currently have a 2 week waiting list to pickup items from customers for service. Shop is full and don't have any place to store it unless it sets outside in the weather. Heck I have to push stuff out in the rain just to have room to work on other things in the shop.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can get 5 riders in my little 24x24 shop unless the decks are off. Froze my a** off tuesday working outside because the shop was full and today it is 70. Got 3 done today and i hope they pick them up tomorrow as i need the room. When you push stuff out in the rain you can charge an extra $5 for "washing" customer equipment.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can get 5 riders in my little 24x24 shop unless the decks are off. Froze my a** off tuesday working outside because the shop was full and today it is 70. Got 3 done today and i hope they pick them up tomorrow as i need the room. When you push stuff out in the rain you can charge an extra $5 for "washing" customer equipment.
I currently have a Cub Cadet with a 42 inch deck. 3 Toro Timecutters with 42 inch decks, a JD 445 with a 60 inch deck. A front tine tiller, and push mower, a DR 34 inch field and brush mower, an Arctic Cat 400 ATV and 60 gallon air compressor still on the pallet with a bad motor, and 30 gallon air compressor that has been dropped on its head and awaiting compressor pump parts,

And currently in the middle of a 2 inch plus thunderstorm with tornado watches.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being mobile I only work on hand helds inside the shop
And yes at the moment I have 5 customers mowers in the yard under covers

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I currently have a Cub Cadet with a 42 inch deck. 3 Toro Timecutters with 42 inch decks, a JD 445 with a 60 inch deck. A front tine tiller, and push mower, a DR 34 inch field and brush mower, an Arctic Cat 400 ATV and 60 gallon air compressor still on the pallet with a bad motor, and 30 gallon air compressor that has been dropped on its head and awaiting compressor pump parts,

And currently in the middle of a 2 inch plus thunderstorm with tornado watches.
I ain't got that kind of room. Wish i did but the CFO has nixed the idea of expanding. I was in Akron the past weekend installing cabinets and a dishwasher at my son's and got up to 3 inches of lake effect snow Sunday morning. We had the tornado warnings last week. I love it when my phone starts screaming at 3AM about a tornado warning 50 miles away from me. I have a hard enough time sleeping without crap like that.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I ain't got that kind of room. Wish i did but the CFO has nixed the idea of expanding. I was in Akron the past weekend installing cabinets and a dishwasher at my son's and got up to 3 inches of lake effect snow Sunday morning. We had the tornado warnings last week. I love it when my phone starts screaming at 3AM about a tornado warning 50 miles away from me. I have a hard enough time sleeping without crap like that.
And still have a Snapper rear engine, 2 Troybilt 42" riders and a Kubota L3830 to go get for a complete service including hydraulic oil and filter change and sharpen the 6 foot rotary cutter blades.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here all my work is outdoors as the 24x24 shop is full of parts and tools. Heck I even twelve 18 gal storage boxes of parts in my bathroom. When moved here I thought I had a storage area until the roof caved in from what a stupid repair job by the previous owner. Someone put the tin roof on backwards so the insulation trap a lot water the rotted out along the back wall. I just hoping material costs drop soon so I can do the repairs.

As for getting a helper that is a problem when they are not qualified to turn a wrench. I had several to ask but fail even a simple questioning test. I need someone that I don't have to hold their hand to do the work.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The local JD dealer wants to hire me at a wage that is a bit of an insult. I offered to work as an hourly contractor for $30 an hour while the dealership charges $98 an hour. No benefits or other withholdings for me. They would make $70 an hour plus have a flunky to wash equipment, change oil and sharpen blades. I have no illusion as what jobs the temp new guy would be doing. The owner thought that was crazy. I am better off in the long run just doing my own thing. The dealer is already backed up 4 weeks.