Hey Folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The world has changed. Now with the internet, Google & YouTube and others, we have made information available and have encouraged people to use the internet to get information and to purchase new stuff and to repair their old stuff. For example car dealers use the internet to promote their dealerships by offering discounts and incentives. But when you go in to get one of their deals, they switch tactics and actually get upset when you tell them your going to shop on the internet for another quote. When I Google cars, I come up with a lot of options. Manufacturers have encouraged us to use the internet to find them and to shop. Unfortunately for them we also see their competition. The internet has taught us to research and to educate ourselves. DIY has come a long way because of the internet. When seeking advice on a help site like this, we as seekers owe it to you to ask intelligent questions and provide adequate information so you can assist. And follow up with a thank you and results of the assist. Often times this process is lacking due to the original post not being clear on his needs. Just as with our children, guidance, patience and forgiveness come into play.
At times the person who has the problem just post I have an XYZ1234 Mower and it won't start. What is the problem? First off what to heck kind of mower is a XYZ1234? If he had posted I have a Blue Brute XYZ1234 we would know what to look for. All hypothetical. First off this is not 20 questions. It won't start why. Will it crank over when you turn the key to start or will it crank over but won't start. You then have to figure out why it won't crank over or won't start when it cranks over. Won't crank over dead battery, blown fuse, bad solenoid, bad starter, bad connection in the wiring, engine seize. Cranks over but won't start, no fire, no fuel, not enough compression, valve problem, push rod off. cam bad. No rocket science but don't throw parts at it and hope you find the one that fixes it. Some call this the process of elimination. LOL That could get expensive. Post the model type and code no. Model and Serial no. Model, spec. and serial no.

sugartooth

Threads
I have to add my two cents worth. I am a 90 year old with a lot of shop experiance, the drawback is all of my experience is also many years ago so I don't kick in much, but if you want to know about a 1958 or so briggs, I might remember. But my real reason for answering is to thank all of the techs who are spending their time trying to help some noodnick who quotes part numbers for a snowblower when inquiring about a lawn mower THANKS GUYS, some appreciate you.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks to all who have helped me, doing some of the things (mods, etc) I've done. It's hard to help one & never get a Thanks.

I've been wrenching on my own (my bread & butter) on Harleys since 1990, when I quit my day job. So not a stranger to mechanics etc. But will admit mowers are different animal, in certain ways, & I don't mind asking, & love learning new stuff in my senior years.. And there are times I can offer my .02.

Last edited:

grumpygrizzly

Threads
So, what's the purpose of this site? To lend a hand when you think you can or to analyze and discourage the people asking for help and those who try to help without your years of experience?
Well said Joed. I for one don't see anything about requiring users of this site to solve X number of problems for people asking questions.

I myself am a self taught small engine repqir guy, I buy weed eaters, chainsaws, leaf blowers and any othe small engine (usually 2 stroke) machines at yard sales where the seller swears it worked great last year but, can't get it to start this year.

Thanks to Covid, pickins are a little slow this year but, I did manage to pick up two Husqvarna leaf blowers for $10 for the pair and at the very next sale, there was a Stihl leaf blower and when I asked how much, they just said "Take it, we can't get it to run.

I took all 3 home, dumped the old gas out, pulled the spark plug and cleaned it on my wire wheel I have on my bench grinder, put fresh 2 stroke gas in it, gave it a little shot of ether and they all fired right up. I sold the Husqvarnas for $40 each and kept the Stihl for myself.

I carry all my small engine tools in a 5 gallon bucket with one of those pocket wraps that hang on the outside. That way I have a place to sit while working and have all my tools, gas line, filters, etc.. etc.. right there with me.

In my pickup truck, I always have an Arnold multi-tool that's made for working on small engines and I've added a couple of brass fitting cleaners (Work great on carbs and gas lines) as well as a can of WD-40 and a can of ether and some other larger tools inside the bucket.

So, nobody asked me to go into any detail, I offered this up free of charge. Now if someone comes in wanting to know how to start thier chainsaw/leaf blower.wee eater, you can just point them to this thread.

sano888

Threads
I use this site when I have a problem. I appreciate the sage advice given. I value learning and have learned quite a bit about small engines over the years, mostly so I can keep my equipment running at minimal cost. I enjoy working with tools and the satisfaction of being able to fix something myself, even if it doesn't always work. Sometimes I just don't know where to begin. That's where the pros on sites like this come in. Thank you for your patience and for not treating me like an imbecile when I don't know what you're telling me (even if I feel like one).

I agree with other posters about how our society has lapsed. I will pay extra for things at my local mower shop, even when I can get it a bit cheaper at a big box. They take the time to answer my questions and give me advice, for free mind you. The least I can do is support them when I financially can. Too many people expect instant answers and feel entitled to information or services.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks to all who have helped me, doing some of the things (mods, etc) I've done. It's hard to help one & never get a Thanks.

I've been wrenching on my own (my bread & butter) on Harleys since 1990, when I quit my day job. So not a stranger to mechanics etc. But will admit mowers are different animal, in certain ways, & I don't mind asking, & love learning new stuff in my senior years.. And there are times I can offer my .02.
I came via the same path as you
Motorcycles , mowers should be the same right ?
wrong
Engines were a walk in the park but it is all the other bits that had me tearing the hair out .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agreed Bert, & I remember ya talking about yer Bikes..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rode the 1943 out today 20 miles to vote
Was having such a nice ride ( no traffic ) I ended up riding to the far end of the electorial district ( 75 miles ) voted , had me saussage & lammington then rode back home
Just started to clean the reocker cover gasket off the Courage single & it bucketed down .
In fact the more I ride the old bikes , the stronger & better I feel so perhaps that sticker that said "motorcycling keeps you young" was right after all

mikehouse

Threads
Sorry Scrub but I must disagree with you on this one. I think that the majority of those who come here are just looking for the cheapest way to solve a problem. They only want to solve them problem quickly, but not solve the cause of the problem. How many times have you asked for additional information to help them, but they don’t come back or reply with only minimal info, which means you have to ask again and again. Others will assume that they know more than you and won’t attempt to try the solutions you suggest, How many times have you wished you knew if the problem was solved, but the OP never comes back. Less than 1% come back to say THANK YOU, and those are the few who WANT to LEARN. Don’t get me going on the DIY guys who reply,” I had a similar problem on a different brand 15 years ago and solved it like this” or those who never read a complete thread and make statements which are either way off base or been suggested before. Just my opinion, as I’m not smarter that anyone one this site, just made more mistakes than most, which I try to never repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.