Export thread

Hey Folks

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Keep in mind a good number of people on here have come here because either they WANT to LEARN how to fix their equipment or in some cases can not afford repairs from a shop and again, WANT to LEARN how to fix it... people who actually want to learn are few and far between nowdays.
Be patient with them.. they may not have your 10, 20, 40 or 50 year's experience with small engine repair.

-Scrub.

R

Rivets

Sorry Scrub but I must disagree with you on this one. I think that the majority of those who come here are just looking for the cheapest way to solve a problem. They only want to solve them problem quickly, but not solve the cause of the problem. How many times have you asked for additional information to help them, but they don’t come back or reply with only minimal info, which means you have to ask again and again. Others will assume that they know more than you and won’t attempt to try the solutions you suggest, How many times have you wished you knew if the problem was solved, but the OP never comes back. Less than 1% come back to say THANK YOU, and those are the few who WANT to LEARN. Don’t get me going on the DIY guys who reply,” I had a similar problem on a different brand 15 years ago and solved it like this” or those who never read a complete thread and make statements which are either way off base or been suggested before. Just my opinion, as I’m not smarter that anyone one this site, just made more mistakes than most, which I try to never repeat.

S

slomo

Ol' boy DH is killing me with his Ariens 20 year old mower never skipped a beat since new now it won't fire a spark plug LOL. Or it will fire a plug not 1/4" gap, or was it LOL LOL. Turn on the light. What does that mean? I see a bulb mounted to the ceiling? Do you think I need electricity to see at night?

B

bertsmobile1

Rivets has nailed it
Most come here after trying what some brainless ball of ego fat posted on You tube .
They want some one here to wave a magic wand so they can fix their mower at no cost and rarely ever come back.
Although it must be said, I get a lot more thanks yous as a PM than I see posted but who cares I am here to learn from the experiences of others.

As for people like DH I ask them to do some thing
If they argue or don't then I have better things to do with my time.
I do like to explain the why but most seem to just want the put tab A in slot B and fold answer.

R

Rivets

Guess some people think I’m looking for thanks, based on two PM’s. Couldn’t be farther from the truth. To those members I say this. If I only do this to get a pat on the back, I would have stuck around for 9 years. I do it because it is part of a teachers character to help others learn. Just like the real world, most people think that all professionals charge too much and feel because they pay the bills that’s thanks enough. Plus they have been hurt by the 10% bad ones, they feel we all are out to get them. That’s why you’ll see me belittle everyone of them who rants about them when they can’t get what they want on their own terms. That’s one reason why I wish this forum had a way to identify which members are technicians, so when professionals reply, the OP’s know it’s not a garage mechanic just giving an opinion. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of good DIY guys here, but only the pros can indentify them quickly, but most time they are professional enough to just let it go. Most of them “slept at a Holiday Inn last night” If you’re old enough to remember that commercial.

B

bertsmobile1

And what some would not know the go now days is for instant answers
So not uncommon to find the same post on a dozen or more forums .
This is of course because I am the most important person in the world and the whole universe revolves around me.
I have always wanted to ask these posters if they wee an only child.
In person I can usually tell people from a single child , two child or more than 2 child family.
Almost to a person , the single & 2 child people have a massive idea of their own self importance & generally self centered selfish nature ,

S

slomo

Keep in mind a good number of people on here have come here because either they WANT to LEARN how to fix their equipment or in some cases can not afford repairs from a shop and again, WANT to LEARN how to fix it... people who actually want to learn are few and far between nowdays.
Be patient with them.. they may not have your 10, 20, 40 or 50 year's experience with small engine repair.

-Scrub.
Most shops have terrible techs too. People want to learn to fix their own stuff.

Dad took his Toro pusher to one very large mower shop in OKC. Shops answer for non-starting was he was using E-10 87 gas. They wouldn't touch the mower because of that. Dad told them he used 89 real gas all the time. They still wouldn't work on it. LOL Kept blaming his fuel. They wouldn't dump the tank that holds maybe a full quart of gas and pull the rope using their fuel. So lame.....

Q

qmark

I am a DIFer. I farmed for over 50 years using older equipment which I for the most part kept operational
That was without the blessing of the internet, which I now love for information. My mower is a hopper 725G2. I was unhappy with the gas engine so swapped in a 3 cylinder Kubota turbo diesel. . This is a very simple mower so I have to this point needed no advice on servicing. But if something arises I will happily ask on the forum, post any results and thank the re pliers who devote their time to this.

I now have a fleet of older autos and trucks which I often consult forums for wisdom. I also contribute if I have anything to contribute.

oldlawnguy

oldlawnguy

DIY stiff here with my U.S. $.02 (actually $.01 cuz of transitory inflation :ROFLMAO: what a joke)

In my few years this site gets the full analog spectrum of OPers from various expertise level DIYers willing to slog the sweat & details and LEARN, LEARN, LEARN (rinse & repeat) all the way to lazy, cheap, arrogant, know-it-alls who want a quick fix at someone else's time and expense instead of theirs. Then you have the various mix & match combo of folks who fall in between the two extremes. e.g. you can be a cheap, arrogant diligent learner, a wealthy, polite advanced learner, a lazy, know-it-all who can't read the directions for a flathead screwdriver, but has PhD in theoretical physics or a musician with 40 platinum records that wants to learn how to fix stuff cuz he is both left and right brain dominant.

Basically this site brings all types just as we see in that thing called life.

Generally, what you get out of life usually is directly proportional to what you are willing to put into it. Yeah some folks may have gotten bitten by a bad shop in their view, but maybe they forgot to tell you they broke their JD tractor AFTER the shop FIXED it (TWICE for FREE)! Yes their are bad shops, bad customers and bad parts, but there are also good shops, good customers and good parts. Pick your industry: cars, doctors, accountants, stock broker, HVAC, attorneys, etc. All the same, your mileage may vary...

I get that this forum has basic ground rules as does life, but given it is FIX focused you got to bring the goods on specifics when asked and IMO that includes some calloused skin and especially a sense of humor. Nobody cares here that you are a member of Skull & Bones, or your the type that says "Do you know who I am?" (yeah your the OP who can't fix your mower), but we should all care if you have 30+ fixing stuff in your shop.

For me this site is great forum for getting FREE pro advice & teaching, great DIYer help too, but OP has to do their homework/research if "you" (not forum) want to fix your gizmo. I'd work in any of the above poster pro shops for free for a day or two just to pay it forward for their FREE teachings (would be fun too). Oh and pet peeve of mine, follow-up and saying thank you also costs nothing on this site -- core values.

Nothing better brings out ALL types when you include the word FREE... :)

J

Joed756

So, what's the purpose of this site? To lend a hand when you think you can or to analyze and discourage the people asking for help and those who try to help without your years of experience?

oldlawnguy

oldlawnguy

So, what's the purpose of this site? To lend a hand when you think you can or to analyze and discourage the people asking for help and those who try to help without your years of experience?
My view is your 1st point caveated by the etiquette of the OPer and their willingness to learn & do with forum help on their time, their effort, their added research, their $ etc. If intent is to "do it all for me" then that is usually where posts can go sideways.

I have yet to see lack of collective forum help on any post with: a problem summary AND equipment model #. I'm here as a continuous learner from all contributing on this forum no matter how many years of experience. My 3 adult kids are still teaching me...

H

hlw49

Well I see a lot of good points here on both sides. I have been in the lawn and garden industry for 45 years and love what I do. I work at a hardware store that sells and services lawn mowers and hand held equipment. I have repaired all types from 2 stroke to commercial mowers. I now only do the lawn mowers. What really gets me is the person who comes in wanting parts for their equipment without the model # and expect you to know with a comment like it's a Dixie Chopper. I bought it here. Like going to the parts house saying I need an air filter for my car and saying it's a Chevy.

Then the joker who comes in and wants free advice and I am always kind enough to go and talk to them. Then they do something dumb like answer their cell phone or start arguing. Sorry dude you just lost me I have turned and walked away for idiots like this. We get $80.00 and hour to work on the equipment I am kind enough to take the time to answer their question and they think I am going to stand wait for them to chit chat on the phone.
think not. One guy did this I walked away, he went to the store manager and demanded he fire me on the spot. Yea really good luck with that one.

A thanks and respect is not too much to ask. Just my to cents worth or maybe a Dollar. LOL

Great forum and some really good posters here thanks to you all.

Those of us with years of experience are getting older and we like it or not are a dying breed. I am 70 years old and still working every day. Still love what I do.

B

bertsmobile1

Like about 50% of all sites on the www it is here to make money for the owners
The other 50 % are there to spread properganda .

But I do like to get inside peoples heads

S

SamB

Guess some people think I’m looking for thanks, based on two PM’s. Couldn’t be farther from the truth. To those members I say this. If I only do this to get a pat on the back, I would have stuck around for 9 years. I do it because it is part of a teachers character to help others learn. Just like the real world, most people think that all professionals charge too much and feel because they pay the bills that’s thanks enough. Plus they have been hurt by the 10% bad ones, they feel we all are out to get them. That’s why you’ll see me belittle everyone of them who rants about them when they can’t get what they want on their own terms. That’s one reason why I wish this forum had a way to identify which members are technicians, so when professionals reply, the OP’s know it’s not a garage mechanic just giving an opinion. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of good DIY guys here, but only the pros can indentify them quickly, but most time they are professional enough to just let it go. Most of them “slept at a Holiday Inn last night” If you’re old enough to remember that commercial.
While I'm not an OPE repair pro,I do have a long mechanical employment background. So I can somewhat tell if the poster offering help and a solution is a learned professional or not, just by how the problem is approached. It's a simple courtesy to everyone here to report back on what worked or what solved the issue at hand. I I have learned a lot about issues I have not had (yet!) by just sitting back and listening to those with a lot more knowledge about mowers and engines than I have,all the while enjoying the read. I thank the technicians here and listen to what they say. While there may not be a flag that shows them to be technicians, to a lot of us,it shows!
I like to adhere to the adage that you can't(or won't) learn anything when your mouth is open!

S

SamB

Not sure you'd like it there. I myself am out of it sometimes! LOL!

B

bertsmobile1

Not sure you'd like it there. I myself am out of it sometimes! LOL!
People are facinating and what makes them think a particular way is even more facinating.
Like some here who think that The President actually controls the price of fuel .
Firearms are always fun along with fire arm regulations or lack there of.
Then there is "freedom"
Amazed how many people think not wearing a face mask is a sign of "freedom" from authority
Yet the same people have a Google & face Book accounts , giving them all of their personal information and generally a pile of reward cards for shopping with .

What people think is of little interest because I know I am right & they are all wrong :cool: but why they have come to those wrong conclusions is the interesting bit .

One of the very good things about the moderating of this forum is that the moderators do allow threads to go off topic & delve into personal beliefs and even religions provided that the discourse remains civil.
Most forums will not allow this at all and that tends to make them some what sanguine.
I have been kicked off several forums because of "communist subversive comments " , " un American attitude " or even "un Christian comments "
And the one that floored me was a forum where Chinese made items were denegrated on a daily basis and all sorts of inuendoes about the interlect of Chinese was quite acceptable.
When some one asked about "Indian parts " I suggested that the poster might be a little racist as India the country actually makes nothing but there are thousands of people in India who do make things and considering them all to be the same is a touch on the racists side unless he knew which Indian was making the parts he was considering .
They tossed me off of there because I used the word "racist"

H

hlw49

Like about 50% of all sites on the www it is here to make money for the owners
The other 50 % are there to spread properganda .

I don't mind helping just don't like to be taken advantage if people come into the shop on my time they should show a little respect and appreciation. I get paid an hourly wage plus a percentage of the labor I turn. To me and the place I work it is not cost productive. Most of the people who come in like that are not paying customers anyway just want something for nothing. Oh they might buy some parts but a lot of them will find out what they need and buy the cheap stuff off the internet any way.

bkeller500

bkeller500

The world has changed. Now with the internet, Google & YouTube and others, we have made information available and have encouraged people to use the internet to get information and to purchase new stuff and to repair their old stuff. For example car dealers use the internet to promote their dealerships by offering discounts and incentives. But when you go in to get one of their deals, they switch tactics and actually get upset when you tell them your going to shop on the internet for another quote. When I Google cars, I come up with a lot of options. Manufacturers have encouraged us to use the internet to find them and to shop. Unfortunately for them we also see their competition. The internet has taught us to research and to educate ourselves. DIY has come a long way because of the internet. When seeking advice on a help site like this, we as seekers owe it to you to ask intelligent questions and provide adequate information so you can assist. And follow up with a thank you and results of the assist. Often times this process is lacking due to the original post not being clear on his needs. Just as with our children, guidance, patience and forgiveness come into play.

StarTech

StarTech

Then maybe poster can understand my frustration when I see totally off the wall posts. I am learning just not to reply to them. One recently was about a two piece flo-jet carburetor that repling poster thought that they could only be that the float was miss adjusted or damage or the needle/seat wasn't sealing. I have fix several over the years that there is another cause possible but I kept quite about it.

And the original poster asking for help understand that each equipment config can be unique and that we are not mind readers as we are not standing by their sides. We ask for equipment number so can look up things so we can become familiar with what have in front of them.

I will not look at a YouTube video any more on repairs; unless, it is posted by the OEM. It sorta like all those use JB Weld to fix things which I have never got work. Heaven forbid one tries duct taping a blade on. I have have seen it to come into my shop once.

B

bertsmobile1

The world has changed. Now with the internet, Google & YouTube and others, we have made information available and have encouraged people to use the internet to get information and to purchase new stuff and to repair their old stuff. For example car dealers use the internet to promote their dealerships by offering discounts and incentives. But when you go in to get one of their deals, they switch tactics and actually get upset when you tell them your going to shop on the internet for another quote. When I Google cars, I come up with a lot of options. Manufacturers have encouraged us to use the internet to find them and to shop. Unfortunately for them we also see their competition. The internet has taught us to research and to educate ourselves. DIY has come a long way because of the internet. When seeking advice on a help site like this, we as seekers owe it to you to ask intelligent questions and provide adequate information so you can assist. And follow up with a thank you and results of the assist. Often times this process is lacking due to the original post not being clear on his needs. Just as with our children, guidance, patience and forgiveness come into play.
Getting off track, but the internet has taught us nothing other than how to be greedy & lazy
Greedy to expect to get the cheapest possible price from everyone to the point of being abusive if the vendor does not match the cheapest internet price.
Lazy because we really do not search, we let google / facebook do that for us
Stupid because we do not question what we see on the screen.

A TV commercial can cost anything from $ 5000 on late night TV to $ 5,000,000,000 during the super bowl , every time it is run
Add $ 100,000 for production and they become very very expensive
A You tube add can be produced for under $ 1,000 if self made and as low as $ 10,000 if done by pros
A you tube / face ache presentation costs nothing to the poster per viewing so their only cost is what they pay to the web host to direct the viewers to their add which is generally a few cents per click through .
A brouchure or catalogue can cost a small fortune to produce then twice as much to print & distribute.
However an e-catalogue can be made virtually for free and costs nothing to distribute.
Even better is it can be changed at any time and with high speed printers the dealer can run you off one in a couple of minutes if you want some paper to take home .

H

hlw49

At times the person who has the problem just post I have an XYZ1234 Mower and it won't start. What is the problem? First off what to heck kind of mower is a XYZ1234? If he had posted I have a Blue Brute XYZ1234 we would know what to look for. All hypothetical. First off this is not 20 questions. It won't start why. Will it crank over when you turn the key to start or will it crank over but won't start. You then have to figure out why it won't crank over or won't start when it cranks over. Won't crank over dead battery, blown fuse, bad solenoid, bad starter, bad connection in the wiring, engine seize. Cranks over but won't start, no fire, no fuel, not enough compression, valve problem, push rod off. cam bad. No rocket science but don't throw parts at it and hope you find the one that fixes it. Some call this the process of elimination. LOL That could get expensive. Post the model type and code no. Model and Serial no. Model, spec. and serial no.

S

sugartooth

I have to add my two cents worth. I am a 90 year old with a lot of shop experiance, the drawback is all of my experience is also many years ago so I don't kick in much, but if you want to know about a 1958 or so briggs, I might remember. But my real reason for answering is to thank all of the techs who are spending their time trying to help some noodnick who quotes part numbers for a snowblower when inquiring about a lawn mower THANKS GUYS, some appreciate you.

Thanks to all who have helped me, doing some of the things (mods, etc) I've done. It's hard to help one & never get a Thanks.

I've been wrenching on my own (my bread & butter) on Harleys since 1990, when I quit my day job. So not a stranger to mechanics etc. But will admit mowers are different animal, in certain ways, & I don't mind asking, & love learning new stuff in my senior years.. And there are times I can offer my .02.

grumpygrizzly

grumpygrizzly

Well said Joed. I for one don't see anything about requiring users of this site to solve X number of problems for people asking questions.

I myself am a self taught small engine repqir guy, I buy weed eaters, chainsaws, leaf blowers and any othe small engine (usually 2 stroke) machines at yard sales where the seller swears it worked great last year but, can't get it to start this year.

Thanks to Covid, pickins are a little slow this year but, I did manage to pick up two Husqvarna leaf blowers for $10 for the pair and at the very next sale, there was a Stihl leaf blower and when I asked how much, they just said "Take it, we can't get it to run.

I took all 3 home, dumped the old gas out, pulled the spark plug and cleaned it on my wire wheel I have on my bench grinder, put fresh 2 stroke gas in it, gave it a little shot of ether and they all fired right up. I sold the Husqvarnas for $40 each and kept the Stihl for myself.

I carry all my small engine tools in a 5 gallon bucket with one of those pocket wraps that hang on the outside. That way I have a place to sit while working and have all my tools, gas line, filters, etc.. etc.. right there with me.

In my pickup truck, I always have an Arnold multi-tool that's made for working on small engines and I've added a couple of brass fitting cleaners (Work great on carbs and gas lines) as well as a can of WD-40 and a can of ether and some other larger tools inside the bucket.

So, nobody asked me to go into any detail, I offered this up free of charge. Now if someone comes in wanting to know how to start thier chainsaw/leaf blower.wee eater, you can just point them to this thread.

S

sano888

I use this site when I have a problem. I appreciate the sage advice given. I value learning and have learned quite a bit about small engines over the years, mostly so I can keep my equipment running at minimal cost. I enjoy working with tools and the satisfaction of being able to fix something myself, even if it doesn't always work. Sometimes I just don't know where to begin. That's where the pros on sites like this come in. Thank you for your patience and for not treating me like an imbecile when I don't know what you're telling me (even if I feel like one).

I agree with other posters about how our society has lapsed. I will pay extra for things at my local mower shop, even when I can get it a bit cheaper at a big box. They take the time to answer my questions and give me advice, for free mind you. The least I can do is support them when I financially can. Too many people expect instant answers and feel entitled to information or services.

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks to all who have helped me, doing some of the things (mods, etc) I've done. It's hard to help one & never get a Thanks.

I've been wrenching on my own (my bread & butter) on Harleys since 1990, when I quit my day job. So not a stranger to mechanics etc. But will admit mowers are different animal, in certain ways, & I don't mind asking, & love learning new stuff in my senior years.. And there are times I can offer my .02.
I came via the same path as you
Motorcycles , mowers should be the same right ?
wrong
Engines were a walk in the park but it is all the other bits that had me tearing the hair out .

Agreed Bert, & I remember ya talking about yer Bikes..

B

bertsmobile1

Rode the 1943 out today 20 miles to vote
Was having such a nice ride ( no traffic ) I ended up riding to the far end of the electorial district ( 75 miles ) voted , had me saussage & lammington then rode back home
Just started to clean the reocker cover gasket off the Courage single & it bucketed down .
In fact the more I ride the old bikes , the stronger & better I feel so perhaps that sticker that said "motorcycling keeps you young" was right after all

?

mikehouse

mikehouse

Sorry Scrub but I must disagree with you on this one. I think that the majority of those who come here are just looking for the cheapest way to solve a problem. They only want to solve them problem quickly, but not solve the cause of the problem. How many times have you asked for additional information to help them, but they don’t come back or reply with only minimal info, which means you have to ask again and again. Others will assume that they know more than you and won’t attempt to try the solutions you suggest, How many times have you wished you knew if the problem was solved, but the OP never comes back. Less than 1% come back to say THANK YOU, and those are the few who WANT to LEARN. Don’t get me going on the DIY guys who reply,” I had a similar problem on a different brand 15 years ago and solved it like this” or those who never read a complete thread and make statements which are either way off base or been suggested before. Just my opinion, as I’m not smarter that anyone one this site, just made more mistakes than most, which I try to never repeat.

KM Richards

KM Richards

I think that the majority of those who come here are just looking for the cheapest way to solve a problem

Is this not want everyone does including yourself?
Nobody likes to spend any more money than is necessary to fix stuff.

How many times have you asked for additional information to help them, but they don’t come back or reply with only minimal info, which means you have to ask again and again.

Then just let it go! No need to get upset at folks that won't help you help them.

So not uncommon to find the same post on a dozen or more forums

That increases one's chances of getting answers as well as different points of view because... not all answers one gets on a forum are what is needed to get the job done.

This is of course because I am the most important person in the world and the whole universe revolves around me.

Don't all of us elevate our concern when we have some big problem we are trying to resolved???