Here's something I had to happen to me today.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The IRS is dicking me this year. Accountant did the taxes and now the IRS says what i paid for healthcare on the return doesn't match the the amount the form THE GOVERNMENT SENT ME ! Really??? She used that form to fill out the return. Holding up a sizeable refund. Thanks IRS
Sounds about right. Why you think I call them the "Idiot Ran Service"?

They are now so screwed up they don't pay the funds that are owed to the tax payer but will take legal actions to collect funds that are not owed to the government. I use to be able to go to the local IRS office and get things done but now the closest office is in Memphis and even drove the two hour to get there, I can't even get in there because I don't have a star on my driver's license. Just another government roadblock throw in the way to keep the tax payer from getting anything done.

I wouldn't be surprised the Social Security finds a way to screw me out of the rocking chair money and Medicare in two years.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This really pissed me off to a point. I stop to buy $45 of fuel and ask for a receipt as I usually do for business expenses. The clerk asked for a phone and would not process the payment; unless, I gave it to him. I refused and demand my money back. I went 1/4 mile down and got my gas. I will not be going to that crazy station again.

Why in the heck they need my phone number just to sell me gasoline? I don't want telemarketers bugging me on the phone.

Pizza Hut did the same thing to me. They wouldn't even take my order without a phone number. I felt like a Karen standing there arguing with the manager. But dang it, I just wanted a pizza.
I ended up going to Walmart, getting two of theirs for less than I would've paid for 1 Pizza Hut pizza. No questions asked.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Happens every day
I have an old phone & old phone number for that purpose
It gets anything up to 200 calls a day and usually only 1 or 2 of them will leave a message .
When covid lock downs were in force that rose to a maximum of 800 calls till the battery went flat .
Naturally it sits on a shelf & gets looked at in the morning over breakfast
Yesterday there were 44 calls with no messages .
Good thing down here is the Federal tax laws require a receipt for every purchase over $ 1
So when some one asks if I want a receipt I ask them if they want me to report them to the Tax office for a $ 30,000 fine .
The big two supermarkets are actively lobbying for changes to the receipt laws to speed things up through the checkouts and of course save them around $ 250,000 for till rolls .

You just gave me a good idea. I'm going to start giving out my ex's phone number in instances like this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You just gave me a good idea. I'm going to start giving out my ex's phone number in instances like this.
Naughty.
But it is a big problem
Most of the people in my social circle who are in IT have a sim card they bought, authenticated then removed from the phone
Thus when which ever snoopy moron calls the number the system sees a real valid phone number that is switched off or unavailable
Down side is it costs around $ 80 /year to keep the sim card active but most feel it is money well spent .
Interesting that none of them have any social media either .
I have a specific email address that I use for joining all forums & groups
When I join , I turn off the rule that sends every message to the trash , authenticate my membership then turn the rule back on again
And none of them do phone or internet banking either .

MowManWV

Threads
Just wait till Biden's 87,000 new IRS agents get going!

I'm at a bit of a loss.....OP.....did the clerk want your phone number or did the clerk want your phone?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
He want the phone number. If he wanted a phone I got one in the truck somewhere that has been ran over several times at 55 mph +.

I go back correct the post adding "number". I do think faster than I type.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This really pissed me off to a point. I stop to buy $45 of fuel and ask for a receipt as I usually do for business expenses. The clerk asked for a phone number and would not process the payment; unless, I gave it to him. I refused and demand my money back. I went 1/4 mile down and got my gas. I will not be going to that crazy station again.

Why in the heck they need my phone number just to sell me gasoline? I don't want telemarketers bugging me on the phone.

Remember when you wanted to use a website for something. You'd just go to that website and use it. Now, you have to create an account, give them your email and sometimes phone number. Create a screen name. blah blah blah. And they're claiming they're protecting your privacy. LMAO..
Next thing you know, you're email is getting spammed and robocalls coming on your phone 10 times a day.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The other day my PayPal account would not let me login demanding a mobile telephone number. Don't even have a mobile phone that works and haven't for the last ten years. I called to find how to get around it they had no idea how I could get around it. I explain to them I did not have a mobile number and it just when in one ear and out the other. I finally figured a way on my own what they were wanting. I was about to the point of just setting up another account. All I was needing to that day was to delete a closed bank account and setup the new bank account for auto pay to PayPal.

All I normally use PayPal for is add an extra layer of security between the vendor and my credit card. As I had my card info stolen 4x of in the last 10 years. Bailey's was the worst offender when someone installed a key logging program on their system.

Having it stolen is a pain as it shuts me down for at least a week while wait on a new card.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We are now in 4th gen IT geeks and for them the magic phrase is "Data Capture"
I was at round table working on log books for historic vehicles.
The people on my table were all from the IT department and they wanted every one to log into an app on their phone rather than use a paper book.
I asked why & the answer was for data capture so the next question was why ?
They had no answer .
Then the delegation from the bush asked them what would happen if you could not log in as 80% of the Australian land mass has no mobile phone coverage
Again they had no answer.
Being city based IT geeks none of them has ever been more than 10 miles from their computers .
But the alternative on line log book has just been released
And it has a space for start & end point .
As all of our rides go in a loop we put the same point in for both and it crashed .

But that is what they drum into the heads of IT people now days
Data is bigger than God and you must capture every scrap of data that you can .

If you feel narky & want to have fun at the expense of your phone company, take the sim card out of your phone several times a day
Then when they call you telling you your phone is faulty ask them how they know that if they are not tracking your phone .

And if your really want to feel parrinoid, do a google search using your own name .
I shop mostly at a corner store because they do not have a spy wear scheme monitoring what I purchase and I always pay with cash

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My day consisted of taking my father to the doctor at 8 this morning, and then found out he had gangrene on the toes on his left foot. Drove the extra 25 miles to the hospital to the ER, got there about 10 am and by 11 knew they were going to admit him. and start him on IV antibiotics. As of 4 pm he was not on his antibiotics, and was still waiting on a hospital room. At 4 I drove the hour home, to discover that his diabetes doctor has put in a request for a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) which was turned down 2 months ago. So with the arrival of his CGM supplies now until I get this stuff sent back and give the doctor that gave the unauthorized order for supplies a stern talking to, I can't get his normal test supplies.