Help

Colby2566

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue. I have a Grasshopper mower Model 1822 with a B&S 18hp model 422437 Type 0678 01 Code 83112912 and only has 530 hrs on it and the engine is bad. I know the unit is really old and I've been told that I can't get a replacement engine for it. Is there a company that has this engine or what are my options. Other than the engine the rest of the mower is in great shape.

Born2Mow

Threads
I have a Grasshopper mower Model 1822 with a B&S 18hp... only has 530 hrs on it and the engine is bad.
You mean "bad" as in it's involved in under-age drinking, or "bad" as in it mugs little old ladies on the subway at night ?? Can you describe what this term means ? And how does the problem reveal itself ?

Colby2566

Forum Newbie
Threads
One of the connecter rods is broken. I was using it and the engine made a rattling noise and then the engine rev up and no response when I lowered the throttle. I checked the governor springs and linkage all looked good. So I took it to a repair shop and they told me the rod was probably broke and broke the governor inside the engine. Then they said there isn't a replacement engine for it and parts are obsolete since it's a 1983 engine. So I'm looking for some help or ideas on how to get my mower going again.

Colby2566

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well he did pull the spark plugs while I was there and one cylinder didn't have compression, so I know something is broke inside engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually the diagnosis fits the symptoms quite well .
What we need to know is the actual engine numbers
Being in a hopper It is most likely a horizontal shaft engine and probably a flat twin but we really need to know more to go any further .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
easy check you can do...
remove the spark plug(s) insert a pencil or something of similar diameter into the bore rotate the engine... if one of the pistons doesn't move. most likely its a broken rod, that also took out the governor gear inside the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some one with dealer access to the Power Portal might do better but the civilian version recognizes the numbers then comes back with "no information available "