Help Snapper Honda GCV160 replacement engine Identification

Gord Baker

Threads
  • / Help Snapper Honda GCV160 replacement engine Identification
Try straightening it, then when it is close SELL IT. Not worth the repair effort or cost.

muddy51

Threads
My 2 cents. I had a Briggs with a bent crank shaft. Put the mower on its side, found the high side and hit it with a small sledge. Brought it back in close enough. I'm sure the Pros don't want to hear this but it worked for me. What did I have to lose. I continued to mow with the machine.
Honda motorcycle service books used to tell max runout that could be fixed and how to straighten with hammer, v-blocks and dial indicator.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
they straighten camshafts with a hammer but it isn't what one thinks. The blows are on the opposite side of what one would think. It compresses the steel and bends it towards the blow. With a small one journal crankshaft it is probably twisted too. I'd replace it rather than try to straighten it. And I certainly wouldn't try to dump it after pounding on it, as-is to some unsuspecting buyer. But like they say, Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware.

pls1911

Forum Newbie
Threads

Ok gents, I just installed a Briggs and Stratton 104M02-0197-F1 7.25 GT Vertical Shaft Engine as a replacement for the Honda GCV-160.

This engine has had a few negative comments but I fail to find their rationale.
This engine demonstrates how Briggs has stepped up their game on recent years with the overhead valve engines. My experience couldn't have been better. ( In order to directly bolt to my Snapper High Vac, I did thread the mounting holes, which were predrilled to the correct size).
I mounted the engine, filled the oil (Rotella T6) and gas... it started on the first pull.
I mowed about an hour, occasionally stopping for a few minutes, and it restarted every time on the first pull.
No issues what so ever.
Given that overall condition of this all stout steel mower is in near new (very well cared for...) , and the new equivalent Snapper is pushing $900+
I have a new mower that should outlast my mowing days for only $230.
What's not to like?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hope it all goes well for you
I replace more carburettors on these engines that everything else ( including all of the cube carbs ) added together and multiplied by 3 .
Wait a season or two and see if you still feel the same
I buy the auto chokes by th box full because I replace so many failed ones , most seem to scrape through the warranty period .

pls1911

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the heads up.
I plan to run it dry after each use, and I use Sta-Bil every time I buy gas, although along with the 30 Horse Kawasaki on the 60" Ferris, I don't usually have gas more than 30 days old.
We'll see how the durability goes

Frank Woodbery

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I retired my old Wisconsin Robin 4 stroke engine, I opted to repower with a Kawasaki FJ180V. It's a wonderful replacement engine that Snapper used some time ago. You just have to make sure you order the right shaft length for the Snapper deck, and you will need to change the mounting hole locations in the deck. It also has a 25mm (~1") shaft diameter, so you would need a 1" blade hub (instead of the 7/8") and a 1" drive belt pully. None of this is a big deal.