Help Snapper Honda GCV160 replacement engine Identification

pls1911

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Help Snapper Honda GCV160 replacement engine Identification
I have a Snapper RP215517HC (84905) 21" 5.5 Hp Steel Deck with a Honda GCV 160 engine,
engine block markings: GJAEA-1742851, A1A*.
Due to a bent crankshaft, I need a replacement engine and am having a tough time on line determining the correct engine with Snapper shaft dimensions.
any help??

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
with it being almost 20 years old have you considered just replacing it? I know usually over that time other parts start to wear out, decks rot, crack, transmissions wear. Or maybe look on FB marketplace, or CL to see who is trying to get rid of old snapper mowers near you. Sometimes the motor is still fine but needs a carb or something, wheels falling off. Might find a good motor on one. There are probably 10 for sale used here near Sacto plus at least one guy collecting them who has parts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1649439485568.png

pls1911

Forum Newbie
Threads
with it being almost 20 years old have you considered just replacing it? I know usually over that time other parts start to wear out, decks rot, crack, transmissions wear. Or maybe look on FB marketplace, or CL to see who is trying to get rid of old snapper mowers near you. Sometimes the motor is still fine but needs a carb or something, wheels falling off. Might find a good motor on one. There are probably 10 for sale used here near Sacto plus at least one guy collecting them who has parts.
Thanks for the reply. This mower has maybe one season on it, and everything is in perfect shape...much better materials and workmanship than mowers currently available. With a new motor, it should out last my mowing days.

ken2

Threads
Smallenginewarehouse is where we use to order our engines from. They bought engines damaged in shipping or shop foreclosures. They grind the serial numbers off because the engines have no factory warranty. You need to measure your crankshaft to find the correct replacement. It will have a metric crank. You need to measure in MM. If you have a bagger. The side chute may hit the corner of the new engine. We used to heat the plastic chute and push it in to clear the corner of the fuel tanks.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
using Star Tech's diagram, 22.2 mm is 7/8" . 86.7mm is 3.41" = 3 13/32". 3 3/5" is 3.6"

pls1911

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for the replies.
Measured with caliper, my crank actually measures .750..... 7/8 = .875.
I'll likely have to go with a 7/8" shaft and simply replace the blade hub and drive pully with 7/8" components.

Mattmotors

Threads
My 2 cents. I had a Briggs with a bent crank shaft. Put the mower on its side, found the high side and hit it with a small sledge. Brought it back in close enough. I'm sure the Pros don't want to hear this but it worked for me. What did I have to lose. I continued to mow with the machine.