Help locating parts for Pulsar mower

smhardesty

Threads
Most people look at the number of forum members and think as you did, some many members, lots of techs. On this forum there are less than a dozen experienced techs who frequently respond to problems. Then come about two dozen who have minimal experience, Most, about 50% of the posters are DIY guys who had a similar problem 5 years ago, don’t fully read the thread, and offer solutions which won’t help with the OP’s problem. The rest are those who no longer are around. On top of that we have the guys, 29-30 years old, who expect a working solution in 24 hours, but never bother to post relevant info because we are the experts with ESP.
I understand. I did try to find a complete list of members, but only found the page that shows the most active members, etc, etc, etc. A lot of the forums I have been on have a complete list of members that also shows when they signed up and the last time they were online. That gives a really good idea of how many guys are available to respond.

My Aussie friend (not really) on the other forum is a prime example of someone offering advice who had no business doing so. I still grin when I read that post he made. I wasn't sure if he was being serious or posting some kind of joke. When it turned out he was very serious I was kind of taken aback.

Now that I no longer really work and my wife has finally retired, I'm a whole lot more reserved and laid back than when I was still doing the all nighters on some computer network somewhere. I've had this Pulsar sitting on the bench for about a week. I suppose I'd be a little more enthusiastic if it was a customer's mower that he wanted repaired, but since it's just a mower I'm refurbing for resell, I'm not quite so enthused. LOL!

I am starting to get a few responses to my meager means of advertising. I've got a couple of mowers coming in sometime this week and one guy asked if I'd work on a really old Troy-Bilt tiller. I told him I would, but until I see it and know what it is, we can't be sure that replacement parts are still available. He wasn't too sure but thought it was from the 60s or 70s. He said the gear box made some really strange noises, then the thing stopped running and gear oil started running out of it. That really doesn't sound too good. LOL!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did just a quick search for fuel filters that can be cleaned as opposed to being replaced. I think the cheapest one I ran across was $27. That could buy quite a few replaceable filters. I'm sure the ones that are to be cleaned are relatively easy to clean, but can they be cleaned as well as a brand new, replaceable filter will be? I'm guessing they are at least supposed to be that clean, but I'd worry about contamination left in the cleanable filter. On the other hand, if there was suddenly no other choice, I'd have to get used to cleaning the fuel filter.

It seems funny that in a world where so much is now "throw away", they'd introduce a cleanable fuel filter. I expect those filters have a real use in some application, somewhere, but I can't see them as being a reasonable alternative to the inexpensive, replaceable filters in use on most small engines. But, now I know.

I am finally over that step throat that hung around for a lot longer than I expected. I'm headed to the shop to see if I can get that bracket straightened on this wonderful Pulsar mower. Hopefully I can. Then, I'll get the parts ordered to get it up and running.

I should probably start a new thread for this question, but since it still pertains to the Pulsar, I'll ask it here. Assuming I get the bracket straightened and then get the mower running as it should, what kind of price should I hang on it? I feel stupid for even asking this question, but I have no history with these Chinese products. I have only dealt with mowers carrying Briggs, Kohler, and Honda engines, with a few Tecumsehs thrown in. I have two thoughts. One, it's a really cheap, Chinese product that has NO replacement parts available anywhere except directly from the home office. With that thought in mind I'd have to say it's a $75 mower, give or take. But, then there is the fact that it still carries the original $149.99 price sticker on it and it has only been used two seasons. If I get it running like it should, and get it cleaned and shiny like I'm sure I'll be able to, is it a mower worth hanging a $100 to $125 price on? What is the market for something like this? I haven't managed to turn up another used mower like this for sale anywhere on the 'Net, so that didn't help me.
Need to determine what the going price for push mowers are in your area. My area I have issues with people selling used equipment in their front yards, so in my area that is a $15-25 mower.

smhardesty

Threads
Need to determine what the going price for push mowers are in your area. My area I have issues with people selling used equipment in their front yards, so in my area that is a $15-25 mower.
Dang. That's pretty sad. I was kind of afraid that was the situation.

But, as to the Pulsar, I spent an entertaining afternoon. Note I said entertaining and NOT enjoyable. First, I got the front axle assembly with the bent bracket on it removed. I put it in my vice, grabbed a 10" Crescent that has a hole for hanging it up, placed it over the spindle, and was able to bend that bracket any way and in any direction I wanted to. I was amazed at just how weak that bracket is. So, that didn't sit well.

Next, I put the whole thing back together, and those little bolts and nuts that hold the assembly to the deck are a pain in the butt. Knowing I'm not as sharp as I once was, I made sure to put a nice, yellow, crayon mark on the bracket that needed bent, just to be sure I got it back together correctly. Once I got it in place, I tried connecting the adjustment link bar to the axle assembly. There was just no way. The hole on the bracket was forward of the spindle and the link bar lacked about 3" to 4" of being able to bolt together. The first thing I did was check for my crayon mark. It was where it was when I disassembled. After looking at things for a few minutes I took the axle back out, reversed it and,,, lo and behold,,, things went together correctly. The previous owner never bothered to tell me he took it apart, but it was obvious that he had.

Then, I went to put the front wheels on.Tthe thread on the spindle on the side that was bent was all boogered up. I had to chase the thread to get the locking nut to start and thread. It was turning into a wonderful afternoon.

Once I finally got the whole front end fixed and made sure the adjustment worked as it should, it was time to see if the thing would fire. I pulled the plug and it looked fine. I cleaned it off with carb cleaner and checked the gap. Then I shot a healthy dose of Seafoam in the cylinder. I pulled the air filter and gave the carb a healthy does of Seafoam, as well. Pulled the engine break lever and gave the starter cord a good, healthy pull and the thing blew OIL out the exhaust, all over the shop. I opened the door and took it outside to continue. No matter how many times I pulled, it never stopped blowing oil. I removed and reinstalled the plug about a half dozen times and each time the plug was dripping with oil. I kept cleaning things out and shooting Seafoam in it, but it never stopped blowing oil. I put it back on the bench.

Tomorrow I'll pull the engine off that deck and throw it in the dumpster. I have a good, 4.5 HP Briggs Quantum sitting in one corner of the shop. The deck it was on was toast, but the engine still started and ran perfectly. It only needs a good tune up and a thorough cleaning and it'll make a good mower for somebody. I have no idea if this Chinese made deck has the same bolt configuration as other motors, but I'll give it a shot. Cheap, Chinese junk!

AntiqueMan76

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had another mower come in with a brand name I had never heard of. It is a Pulsar model # PTG12205, with a serial number of PTG1220520090337. The engine data stamped on the back of the case is DV0150 19123092329. I have searched and searched and can't find a single site that has any parts for this thing. I'm not 100% sure, but this thing can't be over 3 or 4 years old, and might even be newer, at least by looking it over. The original, paper, stick on price tag is still on the top of the motor. I'd think that would have been long gone if the mower was older than a few, short years.

It might be an off the wall, cheap push mower, but it has a couple of features that are pretty nifty. First, the handle is shaped with the end turned up, giving taller guys like me a more comfortable handle height to use. Then, there is a really nifty height adjustment system. There is a nice, large handle sticking up on the right rear wheel you use to make the adjustments. The rear wheels are connected by an axle assembly and a rod runs from the left rear wheel to the left front wheel. Another axle assembly connects the two front wheels.

There is a slight problem with the front left wheel. The owner backed a big zero turn over the left front corner. It bent the left front wheel bracket and the rod of the axle assembly. I'm about 99% sure when I take the front end apart I'll be able to straighten things out, but in case I can't for some reason, I'd like to be able to order whatever new pieces I need. I'll also need either a carb rebuild kit or a new carb. I haven't tried tearing things down yet. Before I get armpit deep in this thing I'd like to know for sure that I can get replacement parts.

The only thing I found online is in the link below. You can buy a whole new mower, but they don't list parts. I have sent a message to them requesting info on where I can get parts, but haven't received any reply yet. Any help in locating a parts dealer will be greatly appreciated. Oh, yeah. I managed to find a site to download an Operator's Manual for it and that site also had a parts list diagram. When I downloaded the parts diagram it was so small I couldn't read it and when I tried zooming in things were so blurry I for sure couldn't read it. Heck, I even put my really strong reading glasses on and couldn't see things clearly. LOL!

https://pulsar-products.com/our-products/lawn-mowers/#
Here is some info that may help :
For parts, service and warranty request, please contact us at 1-866-591-8921 or email us at support@pulsar-products.com. Our support center hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00am-4:00pm pacific.

Sales & General inquiries​

Email: info@pulsar-products.com

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I also learned that some China produced engines made for various US brand names where black marketed to various OEM's without knowledge or valid US serial numbers by China. Get that! China will do anything to overtake the world.
Really ?
it is not those nasty evil communist Chinese that are the problem
It is the excessively greedy USA companies looking for cheaper & cheaper supply lines plus cheapskates customers who think they can have whatever they want a t a price they can easily afford because the universe revolves around them.
Just like if no one baught stolen goods their would be no property theft, if no one bought cheap useless mowers then this problem would not exist.
As dad used to say
"he who buys cheap pays thrice "
When customers come in with trash products they get told honestly that they are trash throw away products that are destroying the planet & our economy.
If they want me to fix them then they will have to pay for all of my time including time spent trying to find parts that fit .
Usually I get sworn at but I am a big boy & I can take it .
When I first kicked off I would take on any repair but I very quickly found out that repairing trash was costing me money big time and even worse was annoting my customers with quality brand name products because I was always busy chasing my tail trying to fix "temporarly diverted land fill ".
I regularly get people coming in saying that the salesman said "parts are no problem because Honda / Briggs / Kohler parts fit it"
Now days when that happens I tell them to go back and get the Honda / Briggs / Kohler part number for the Honda / Briggs / Kohler part that fits & I will order the parts for them
They never come back & I am glad that they do not .
I am not in business to loose money so some slease bag can make a fortune flogging stuff without supplying any customer support because it is the warehouse full of parts and the corrosponding service information that costs all the money .
I can buy lawn mowers from China for as little as $ 25 US if I buy them by the thousands and for another $1 or $ 2 I can get them branded with any name I like then add another $ 1 or $ 2 for custom paint colours .
Then add $ 5 for freight and they land for some where between $ 25 & $ 35, sell them via Amazon for $ 100 and make a killing, literally .
And this is what companies like Pulsar are doing .

And yes I have no doubt that the long term aim of the Chinese government is to destroy every democratically elected government on the planet and achieve world domination.
But they are not doing it with a master plan, they are using the inate greed & selfishness of the now unregulated capitalist economies to facilitate the greed of their populations to destroy their own countries and from what I can see the plan is working very very well .

Richard Martin

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I first kicked off I would take on any repair but I very quickly found out that repairing trash was costing me money big time and even worse was annoting my customers with quality brand name products because I was always busy chasing my tail trying to fix "temporarly diverted land fill ".
I regularly get people coming in saying that the salesman said "parts are no problem because Honda / Briggs / Kohler parts fit it"
I have had pretty much the same issues. I'd spend more time chasing down parts via the web than I was diagnosing and repairing a machine. I'm done working on Chinese machines. I have one more Chinese machine in my shop, a DuriFuel generator, and when it is gone there will be no more. It needs internal engine parts, specifically an exhaust valve spring, the retainer, and the 2 retainer locks. It has been a miserable task just finding the part numbers and then finding a retailer that had them in stock. If it looks like a Honda but doesn't say Honda on it anywhere, take it to someone else because I'm not working on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Uses Honda parts they say. What the don't say is to repair the carb you need a gasket set from two different engines because you need the bowl gasket from one and the base gasket from the other and the float valve from a third engine

MikeH62

Threads
It's a shame that retailers like Menard's Lowe's Home Depot, Walmart, etc, etc, decided it was good for business to buy a boatload of this stuff, sell it out for minimal profit, then refuse to offer service or stock parts. Just how in the hell is that good for either the consumer OR the overall economy of this country?

First of all, over 90% of the product these retailers sell is from overseas. Second, Did you ever wonder why they would choose to buy from another country and not the USA? Other countries can make products for pennies on the dollar, plus with the cheap child labor that they enjoy, it's still cheaper to have these companies make the product and ship it than it is to buy American. Americans did it to themselves. Always looking for cheap cost of buying something, that's why manufacturing for a lot of companies moved overseas, then of course we have all the Gov't taxes and all the EPA and OSHA regulations in this country. Manufacturers here can barely breath, while in other countries Gov't officials turn their heads the other way. Bottom line, it's all about profit. You buy a cheap throw, you get what you pay for. Now days, try to find a pure 100% American made and manufactured anything.

kjonxx

Threads
Found this maybe it will help for part numbers its exploded view of mower and eng.

Attachments

• Pulsar 12.pdf
    576.9 KB · Views: 2