HD52, 991083 loud deck when engaged!

bassadict69

Threads
The piece isn't reverse threaded is it?

mmoffitt

Threads
yes well done video..but, the folk who learned me up when pressing in ANY bearing is tha the force and or load is put on the outer race...

darksoul251

Forum Newbie
Threads
My deck is REALLY loud when the blades are engaged and I pretty sure it's the pulley bearings or spindle bearings. I would like to change them all...do all the bearings have bearings? Just trying to formulate a parts list before I get a chance to pull the mower out and look things over.
Don't know what brand you have. But for my Toro I go to ebay. They have deck kits for different brands.

Ciltech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just replace the towers as complete units. Save you a lot of grief chasing correct individual components. Have to remove the towers either way. Done in under an hour versus a day of words and frustration.

Ciltech

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes well done video..but, the folk who learned me up when pressing in ANY bearing is tha the force and or load is put on the outer race...
That depends on whether pressing onto a shaft or pressing into a housing. Outer for housing, inner for shaft.

goodO1boydws

Threads
If you can find the matching size bearing in the better, DOUBLE SEALED version, they will not wear out as quickly as the metal SHIELDED version. Plus they will not DEPEND on additional greasing to make them seal better.

IMHO, from both an engineering and common sense standpoint, (if you intend to keep your machinery running for a long time, and look favorably on anything that contributes to longevity and reliability), DUST SHIELDED BEARINGS really should not be being used on equipment that is USED primarily or exclusively outdoors.

If you have all the dimensions, and can't find them elsewhere, look on either WW Grainger OR McMaster-Carr's websites-that's where I've bought my bearings for several other mowers (and for idler pulleys on cars too) and found that in every case where i had to replace either ball or roller bearings the bearings from the mower OEM's, were not unique in configuration.

I still have an extra spindle set or 2 of the NTN bearings left on the shelf that I bought at Grainger for our own 1997 rider about 15 years ago. I've replaced spindle HOUSINGS several times after physically breaking one or having the lower bearing recesses get too worn from various impacts and allowed enough movement for a blade to be able to tilt or wobble excessively, and a few times entire spindle assembles, (usually after hitting one-too-many hidden, partially buried steel fence posts or pieces of rebar), but for me, when I've put in the NTN sealed bearings, they've outlasted the housings every time.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just replace the towers as complete units. Save you a lot of grief chasing correct individual components. Have to remove the towers either way. Done in under an hour versus a day of words and frustration.
Read the whole thread before you post please.
This mower has fabricated steel spindle housings that are several hundred each.
It is not a garbage Husqvarna nor junkbox MTD mower with 2 bob spindle housings ,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nor are the CSA205-16 1" bearing available with rubber coated seals, just the metal ones. Grainger has them but they are more than twice the price of my bearing supplier.

On the Gravely and Ariens mowers these bearing are well shielded against foreign materials. But as suggested adding grease zerks should help as grease does dry out over time.

One problem with both Husqvarna and MTD spindles is even if they grease zerks the OEM uses sealed bearings. Many of the sealed bearing I receive has to be repacked with EP2 as what is use in them is a poor grade of grease.

Sympolman

Forum Newbie
Threads
My deck is REALLY loud when the blades are engaged and I pretty sure it's the pulley bearings or spindle bearings. I would like to change them all...do all the bearings have bearings? Just trying to formulate a parts list before I get a chance to pull the mower out and look things over.
Some spindles are repairable and some are not. Most Parts Breakdowns don't go down to the bearings. But are rebuildable. You have to disassemble and measure the bearings. I found that its good to have a spare set. That is order a new set and rebuild the old set.

shadetree#1

Threads
Sometime you can find a re-build kit for decks at 8TEN if you happen to need to replace spindles, blades, pulleys and belts and save several $$'s vs buying individual replacement parts.
check with 8tenparts.com.
You will need your mower model and serial number.
If you just need bearings only you will be lucky.
When re-building decks for myself I re-pack the new bearings with grease because I've found that lots of the replacement bearings are not properly lubed internally.