Hard Starting Honda Generator

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is an EM-2500, frame serial number: EZCN-1049312, engine serial number: 3854913. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the help.

That is an EM2500X (K1) which is a slightly updated version of the original model (K0). K1 changes were to make the engine compliant with California Air Resources Board rules.
This specific serial number was wholesaled by Honda to a dealer in Burnsville MN, on 2/12/1996. There is no records of the first retail sale/customer on file. If you'll send me a PM with your name add address, I can update the database to show you as the current owner. Honda asks for this information in the unlikely event there is ever a Product Safety Recall and Honda can contact you.

"Only runs on full choke" is a classic symptom of a clogged main jet and or main nozzle (see highlighted parts):

em2500carb_zpsc16078bb.jpg

Sometimes a good quality fuel system cleaner can flush out the slime/debris, but it may required the carburetor to be removed and completely cleaned. This can be done with some spray carb cleaner and compressed air, or, have the entire carb spend a few hours in a ultrasonic cleaning tank. As a last resort, it can sometime be cheaper/faster/easier just to replace the carburetor, but this list price on a whole new one is $51.87, so a cleaning might be best to try first.

The carb should be removed from the engine for a proper job. This is quite straightforward on the EM2500, and be sure to have a clean well-lit workspace when tearing down the carburetor. A shop manual will help tremendously with this job, and Honda sells paper copies on eBay and Amazon, either with free shipping.

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I fix a lot of these carbs as they are fitted to fire pumps that are fitted into residential street fire trailers all over the state & I have a contract with the maintenance company.
When not used for a long while they seem to suffer really badly from both galvanic corrosion & bacterial infestation if left with fuel in the float bowls.
On a newer engine it is off with the float bown , out with the main jet & emulsion tube.
These 3 items go into the ultrasound for a 1/2 hour cook , rinse in boiling water then carb cleaner & blow dry.
About 1 in 40 need the carb itself to be removed and cleaned it is nearly always in the float bowl .
Be really careful with the screwdriver you use to remove the main jet , the sot is easily damaged and there is usually substantial corrosion on the threads in the carb.
I use one of those ratchet drivers with a short 3" driver like a socket driver so I can apply heavy upward pressure on the driver head with my thumb while doing the turning with the other hand so the main jet knocks the crud off the thread as it comes out.

If the zinc plating on the inside of the float bowl is compromised anywhere, replace the bowl.
I have never had to replace anything other than the bowl itself, the bowl gasket ( every time ) & ocassionally an emulsion tube if they have not been mutilated by prior ham fisted clots.
On some really old carbs the floats stain very badly and seem to get a little heavy & brittle so 1 in 50 might get replaced.
There was a 10 pack of float needles in the take over stock with 9 needles in it and over the 2 years I have used one of them & that was because the customed demanded it get a new needle.
AFAIK the seat is not removable.