Hard Starting Honda Generator

mucksiegooma

Threads
I have a 1996 Honda EM-2500X generator that has been a bugger to start since new. I only run it occasionally, really haven't had a real need to use it, but want it ready in case of an emergency. Here in northern Minnesota, starting some small engines in colder weather can be a real chore. Today I tried to start the engine and when I didn't start, I took of air filter and squirted some starting fluid. It started but it would only continue to run on full choke. When I had run it for a reasonable length of time and engine was warm, I tried to open the choke to normal operating position. As soon as I started to move the choke lever the engine started to starve for fuel. It will only run on full choke, which isn't recommended. What the heck can be the problem. A plugged jet? I'm not a mechanic and I can only guess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Normally in this case I would be recommending removing the carb and cleaning plus rebuilding it. NOT THIS TIME. Carbs on these units a cheaper to replace than rebuild. Post all your model numbers and we will be able tell you the part number and approximate cost. Robert@Honda will probably chime in and be able to give you some other ideas, but he will need all those numbers also.

mucksiegooma

Threads
This is an EM-2500, frame serial number: EZCN-1049312, engine serial number: 3854913. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the help.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Generator ten to just set around till needed. The gas just go's bad. Try to drain out the old gas and install fresh gas just to see what happens. I have had several generator's come into my shop that I just clean the carburetor without spending any money for parts. Some times the needle valve will go bad but it doesn't sound like that is your problem. I would say if you can't repair it yourself then maybe the new carburetor would be the way to go.

mucksiegooma

Threads
I have been using non-oxygenated gas, 91 octane, with either Sea-Foam or StarTron enzyme gas additive. I have used this for a while. I only start and run this generator about 3 times a year so I have been pretty picky about what kind of gas I use. I would suspect that the jets need to be cleaned out. From what I have been reading on the forums, that seems to be the general consensus.

mucksiegooma

Threads
Generator ten to just set around till needed. The gas just go's bad. Try to drain out the old gas and install fresh gas just to see what happens. I have had several generator's come into my shop that I just clean the carburetor without spending any money for parts. Some times the needle valve will go bad but it doesn't sound like that is your problem. I would say if you can't repair it yourself then maybe the new carburetor would be the way to go.

I have been using non-oxygenated gas, 91 octane, with either Sea-Foam or StarTron enzyme gas additive. I have used this for a while. I only start and run this generator about 3 times a year so I have been pretty picky about what kind of gas I use. I would suspect that the jets need to be cleaned out. From what I have been reading on the forums, that seems to be the general consensus.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just because you add junk to your gas its still go's bad. Start small and work up to the bigger things. I just suggest to start with the simple things first like fresh fuel. Jets just don't plug by themselves with clean fuel. Yes clean the carburetor would be my second step. Them if that doesn't work as first suggested new carburetor. Instead of all the additives I would install a fuel filter. Sorry I am just a nonbeliever of additives and high octane gas because I find they do more harm then good. The only additive I do install in a small amount is dry gas.

mucksiegooma

Threads
Just because you add junk to your gas its still go's bad. Start small and work up to the bigger things. I just suggest to start with the simple things first like fresh fuel. Jets just don't plug by themselves with clean fuel. Yes clean the carburetor would be my second step. Them if that doesn't work as first suggested new carburetor. Instead of all the additives I would install a fuel filter. Sorry I am just a nonbeliever of additives and high octane gas because I find they do more harm then good. The only additive I do install in a small amount is dry gas.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what "dry gas" is. I will install a fuel filter and have the carburetor cleaned.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what "dry gas" is. I will install a fuel filter and have the carburetor cleaned.

Dry gas is for moisture in the fuel and any auto parts store has it, just ask for it.