Gravely/Ariens Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Living in the North Dakota enjoying the warm weather on my Gravely Mower zero turning mower. I love this machine and I don't plan on purchasing another.

Welcome to the forums and to the growing Gravely family here!!! What year/model Gravely do you have? Yeah........post some pics(we wanna see it:0)

Talons06

Threads
I have a 2004 Gravely ZT 1540 and have been pleased with it. Now that it is getting older I am needing parts. I have rebuilt the spindles, but could not get parts for them. Seems you have to buy the entire assembly. So, I pulled the bearings and went to Motion Industries and found them.

Now I have an axle that has broken on the left side and can't find an axle or any parts for the trans-axle.

Where can I find parts???? not the entire assembly.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2004 Gravely ZT 1540 and have been pleased with it. Now that it is getting older I am needing parts. I have rebuilt the spindles, but could not get parts for them. Seems you have to buy the entire assembly. So, I pulled the bearings and went to Motion Industries and found them.

Now I have an axle that has broken on the left side and can't find an axle or any parts for the trans-axle.

Sounds like you've worked that ZT 1540 hard for ten years. How many hours are on it's meter? Do you just mow your own lawn or do you have a lawn service? Maybe it's time to upgrade the ZT 154-0 to a newer, more durable ZTR. You need to check for a Mfr label to get the exact transaxle you have, but I would guess that those are HydroGear EZT trannies and they are not serviceable(not designed to be able to change the oil, filter). So ZTR dealers won't even repair them, much less carry parts for them. They are pretty well considered "throw-away". But if you are confident about doing the R & R parts replacement yourself I would recommend that you go to the HydroGear website(see link below), find the service manual and parts diagram and contact HydroGear directly for the parts you need. I'm sure they would hook you up with a nearby distributor or maybe ship directly to you. Good luck if you decide to rebuild the tranny!!

Hydro-Gear Hydrostatic Drives Transmissions and Transaxles

gfp55

Threads

You can gets parts at richards lawn&garden 1-800-827-4551 Parts, Tech 304-927-4580

Talons06

Threads
You can gets parts at richards lawn&garden 1-800-827-4551 Parts, Tech 304-927-4580

Gravely does not have parts to rebuild the spindles either, but I've rebuilt 2 of them so far and are working fine. The third one's housing was bad, so I had to replace that one. I got bearings at Motion Industry for $20.00 each. Cheaper than the $86.00 to replace them.

If I can get the shaft for the Trans-axle, I can fix this one too. From what I have read on the web, the left Trans-axle is the one that goes out. A $50.00 shaft is a lot cheaper than the $800.00 to replace it.

You guys are great, Thanks for the info. I hope I can find the shaft. The 1540 has been a great mower ( home use only, but a big yard) I hope I find another one as tough when I replace it.

Heck the battery just went out this spring. That's 10 yrs for that battery. Tires are worn out too, but they can be replaced as well. OH, I almost forgot, I replaced the bearings in the front casters this spring too. $10.00 per wheel, not the $60.00 each for the caster assembly they wanted to sell me.

You can fix these things, if you can find the parts. If worst comes to worst, I have a buddy with a medal lathe. I'll make one and it won't cost $800.00.

Thanks again !:thumbsup:

Talons06

Still looking for parts.

Talons06

Threads

Thanks Guys,
I found the parts I need for the Trans-axle. Error

Hydro Gear makes the Trans-axle for Gravely and a host of other ZTR mowers.

They had the exact part that I needed and the drive shaft (axle) is on it's way.

They also told me it was wholesale pricing. I can order the entire complete Trans-axle if I need one cheaper that getting it from a Gravely Dealer.

I compared prices and they were a LOT cheaper.

Thanks!!!!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Guys,
I found the parts I need for the Trans-axle. Error

Hydro Gear makes the Trans-axle for Gravely and a host of other ZTR mowers.

They had the exact part that I needed and the drive shaft (axle) is on it's way.

They also told me it was wholesale pricing. I can order the entire complete Trans-axle if I need one cheaper that getting it from a Gravely Dealer.

I compared prices and they were a LOT cheaper.

Thanks!!!!!

Glad you found what you needed. So.....you planning on getting 20 years outa that ZT 1540?????:0)
Did you ever answer my question about how many hours you have on it?

Talons06

Threads
Glad you found what you needed. So.....you planning on getting 20 years outa that ZT 1540?????:0)
Did you ever answer my question about how many hours you have on it?

If I can get 20 yrs. out of her I will. I'll keep fixing it until She just gives up. As long as I can get parts.

How many Hrs. ??? I don't have a clue. There is no hour meter on it. For about 5 yrs. it mowed 3 yards all summer every week.If it dies tomorrow, I have been well pleased.

It has the well built heavy welded deck, so as long as the frame and deck hold up, fixing it is cheaper than a new one. The Kohler motor does not use a drop of oil and runs great. I service it often. The original belt is still on it and looks good. So, other than pulleys and bearings (which I can replace) she is in good shape and will do the job for me. I have put 6 sets of blades on it so far.

The new one, to replace this one, has the cheap stamped deck and is not built as well as this one. The price is around $3,200 to $3,600 for the new version. If I go with the welded deck models they are $4,000 and up, up, up.

Don't count them down until they are dead. You can fix'em!! Now if I am looking at a new motor and trans-axles then a new one will be on order.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

Talons06:thumbsup:

PS,
You can get the service manuals for the Trans-Axle @ Hydro-Gear Service Repair Manuals

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I can get 20 yrs. out of her I will. I'll keep fixing it until She just gives up. As long as I can get parts.

How many Hrs. ??? I don't have a clue. There is no hour meter on it. For about 5 yrs. it mowed 3 yards all summer every week.If it dies tomorrow, I have been well pleased.

It has the well built heavy welded deck, so as long as the frame and deck hold up, fixing it is cheaper than a new one. The Kohler motor does not use a drop of oil and runs great. I service it often. The original belt is still on it and looks good. So, other than pulleys and bearings (which I can replace) she is in good shape and will do the job for me. I have put 6 sets of blades on it so far.

The new one, to replace this one, has the cheap stamped deck and is not built as well as this one. The price is around $3,200 to $3,600 for the new version. If I go with the welded deck models they are $4,000 and up, up, up.

Don't count them down until they are dead. You can fix'em!! Now if I am looking at a new motor and trans-axles then a new one will be on order.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

Talons06:thumbsup:

PS,
You can get the service manuals for the Trans-Axle @ Hydro-Gear Service Repair Manuals
Yep, if Gravely had kept the fabricated decks on their entry-level Residential ZTR's like yours, Hustler Raptors wouldn't be selling like hotcakes:0)
You've definitely gotten all the bang for your buck that you could get!!!

Talons06

Threads
  • / Gravely/Ariens Owner Check-In --- Read This First!
Yep, if Gravely had kept the fabricated decks on their entry-level Residential ZTR's like yours, Hustler Raptors wouldn't be selling like hotcakes:0)
You've definitely gotten all the bang for your buck that you could get!!!

Well, I'm up and going!!

The replacement axle is bigger than the original. They send a conversion kit with it as well. It was fairly easy to repair, instructions included. Get the manual whatever you do. Lots of info in it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Talons06