GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

upupandaway

Threads
You underestimate the cost of batteries. The Ryobi 80V 10AH batteries are $899 ea, and the 40V 12AH are $359 ea. The 54" mower uses 3 of the 80V and 4 of the 40V, Total replacement cost is $4133. Warranty is 5 yrs. Some here have reported Ryobi battery life of 3 yrs, some over 6 yrs. 5 yrs is a good estimate. So... $4133 is $826.60 per year. If used for the typical homeowner usage of 40hrs/yr, that works out to $20.67/hr. At 50 hrs/yr, that works out to $16.53/hr of operation. If we give the Ryobi the benefit of 7 yrs of battery life at 50 hrs/yr, that works out to $11.81/hr of operation. I did a similar calculation for my 54" commercial mower. It uses about 1 gallon of E0 ($3.80) per hr. I figure about $50/yr avg in maintenance for oil changes and air filter servicing/replacing. The air filter doesn't need replacing every year. I use my mower about 40 hrs/yr, which works out to $5.05/hr of operation. I was wrong before when I said that it cost me $5/mow. I had forgotten maintenance. My mowing takes 1.5-1.75 hrs, which works out to $7.57 - $8.84 per mow.

Of course, these costs would be less for yards smaller than mine.

I think that it's disingenuous to promote the economy of battery mowers by citing only the cheapest part of the TCO... the cost of the electricity. Battery mowers DO have advantages, but cost is not one of them. Note that I didn't even include purchase price in my cost analysis above.
I am not defending batteries. I just pulled a price from when I saw one at the HW store. I am trying to show how battery mowers are more expensive in the long run. I mention I still have\use 1970's/80's gas mowers. That's why I challenge EV people show me a car with the original battery in 20 years(as lithium batteries go bad- used or not over time).

GrumpyCat

Threads
I don't understand this. Circuitry to protect electric motors is not rocket science. I'm guessing it would add maybe $10 to the cost of production. And that's for circuitry to protect ALL the motors.
I don’t understand either. A Greenworks over 3 years old out of warranty?

GrumpyCat

Threads
Doesn't specify mower or battery at all. "Product".......

Lots of battery tools you must buy the battery and charger separate, not all the time though.
Yes, “product”. Is a removable battery specifically so it can be used in riding mower, push mower, string trimmer, etc. Doesn’t matter what it is used in.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, “product”. Is a removable battery specifically so it can be used in riding mower, push mower, string trimmer, etc. Doesn’t matter what it is used in.
Did this come from their warranty card? Makes no difference to me. If the batteries are covered so be it.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Did this come from their warranty card? Makes no difference to me. If the batteries are covered so be it.
Provided the URL with my original comment. Read it for yourself. “Product” is their choice of words. They don’t care what it is used in, only that it is for uncompensated residential use. Commercial warranty is less.