GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

GearHead36

Threads
What you leave out is the $500 for replacement batteries then $3000 when you have to replace the whole mower because they don't sell the batteries any more.
You underestimate the cost of batteries. The Ryobi 80V 10AH batteries are $899 ea, and the 40V 12AH are $359 ea. The 54" mower uses 3 of the 80V and 4 of the 40V, Total replacement cost is $4133. Warranty is 5 yrs. Some here have reported Ryobi battery life of 3 yrs, some over 6 yrs. 5 yrs is a good estimate. So... $4133 is $826.60 per year. If used for the typical homeowner usage of 40hrs/yr, that works out to $20.67/hr. At 50 hrs/yr, that works out to $16.53/hr of operation. If we give the Ryobi the benefit of 7 yrs of battery life at 50 hrs/yr, that works out to $11.81/hr of operation. I did a similar calculation for my 54" commercial mower. It uses about 1 gallon of E0 ($3.80) per hr. I figure about $50/yr avg in maintenance for oil changes and air filter servicing/replacing. The air filter doesn't need replacing every year. I use my mower about 40 hrs/yr, which works out to $5.05/hr of operation. I was wrong before when I said that it cost me $5/mow. I had forgotten maintenance. My mowing takes 1.5-1.75 hrs, which works out to $7.57 - $8.84 per mow.

Of course, these costs would be less for yards smaller than mine.

I think that it's disingenuous to promote the economy of battery mowers by citing only the cheapest part of the TCO... the cost of the electricity. Battery mowers DO have advantages, but cost is not one of them. Note that I didn't even include purchase price in my cost analysis above.

Last edited:

GearHead36

Threads
The fact that Ryobi dropped their prices for all models by $2k this Spring made the decision easy for me right when I needed it (though they recently added the $2k back). Perhaps the EGo just needs another design iteration to top the Ryobi.
I checked today, and the price is $2K lower again. 🤷‍♂️

GearHead36

Threads
Someone brought me a Greeworks mower,,,,,,,battery checked ok, motor was Fried.
I don't understand this. Circuitry to protect electric motors is not rocket science. I'm guessing it would add maybe $10 to the cost of production. And that's for circuitry to protect ALL the motors.

Peva

Threads
I checked today, and the price is $2K lower again. 🤷‍♂️
Weird - and annoying! - that they do that. Maybe so they can advertise again that they've dropped prices $2000 to get the attention of would-be buyers that haven't been paying attention.

Bertrrr

Threads
No they lower the prices to get you to get the mower , now you have to buy the replacement batteries from them and they'll get their money back and then some

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
I can't wait to be forced to have an electric car.
They sure do appreciate your business though. LOL Wow what a story.

You better be scrounging face trash marketplace and such for a Commercial Snapper, Toro or Honda pusher. Not making those stellar machines anymore.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What kind of warranty are on these batteries, just curious
Not many talk about this.

On other items, I don't know about these mowers, batteries mostly are not covered. Only takes one dead cell to pull the entire pack down.

GrumpyCat

Threads
You may know of the newer 21700 form-factor Li-ion cell - slightly larger package size than 18650 for more manufacturing and price efficiency for more power-intense applications - I think I read that Tesla worked with the battery mfrs. for that.
Yes, am aware. My 2013 Tesla had 7100 some odd 18650 and my 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range has a bunch of the 2170. For some reason they are deleting the last zero on 2170, 21mm diameter 70mm long vs 18mm diameter and 65mm long.

Tesla's LiFePO4 cells are 4680.

Probably most if not all (especially commercial grade) electric riders/zero-turns use the 21700 cells. The Ryobis use the 21700 cells, and it is only residential grade.
Doesn't really matter, the cells will be available to rebuild the battery packs for decades.

I know that my Kobalt (Lowes) 80-volt walk behind uses the Greenworks batteries - just different package color, labeling, and socket keying (a known fact on the internet is that you can interchange them just by filing off socket keying details). I will say that those batteries use a particular model of 18650 cells that have unusually high average and peak current capability for longevity and reliability in the application. I'm guessing that any future push mower applications will be using the 21700 (or larger) form-factor cells.
Is something that doesn't really matter to the end user other than the fact the cells can be purchased to rebuild the battery. For under $50 a proper battery welder is needed to spot weld the terminal straps, the heat of soldering will destroy the cell.

If I were to buy a walk-behind today, it would probably be an EGo.
I have had one since 2016. But can no longer walk behind.

I looked at the EGo zero-turn, but the Ryobi had some advantages from reviews and specs. I looked at. The fact that Ryobi dropped their prices for all models by $2k this Spring made the decision easy for me right when I needed it (though last week, they added back the $2k). Perhaps the EGo just needs another design iteration to top the Ryobi.
Couple years ago several things prompted my purchase of a Country Clipper Avenue 42" with Kawasaki engine over the then-new EGo. I liked the dealer. And I loved the optional hand rail. The handrail would be hard to fit on a twin stick, this is joystick steer. I miss the quiet of the EGo.

A8B00199-A81B-4F97-9069-BE571AA15FDF_1_105_c.jpeg

GrumpyCat

Threads
Not many talk about this.
Been a lot of talk about it here.

On other items, I don't know about these mowers, batteries mostly are not covered. Only takes one dead cell to pull the entire pack down.
Very simple search "ryobi ztr battery warranty"

"80V Battery: Five years if the product is used for personal, family, or household use, two years for any other purpose such as commercial, rental, or any other income producing purpose"

EGo batteries are warranted for 3 years, but the latest 10Ah is 5 years if one clicks the online registration within 90 days.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
"80V Battery: Five years if the product
Doesn't specify mower or battery at all. "Product".......

Lots of battery tools you must buy the battery and charger separate, not all the time though.