Export thread

GOODBYE TO ELECTRIC

papajack

papajack

I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
I can't wait to be forced to have an electric car.

I

ILENGINE

And you are lucky that the batteries haven't been obsoleted forcing you to purchase a new mower.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I have owned a Ryobi battery-operated Riding lawn mower since 2017. I paid $2400 new. In 2022, I replaced the batteries from 50 to 100 for $1200. I replaced the batteries myself. Two years later, my batteries are not holding a full charge again.
My next purchase will be a gas engine. The maintenance may be a pain, but it will last longer.

I own an EGO battery push mower, too. Replacing the battery costs $300, which I have done twice. It is like buying a new mower. My next push mower will be gas.
The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain. What is painful is replacement cost of batteries in equipment after say 3 years. What is painful is people throwing out 3 year old equipment because the batteries cost too much. I could go on, but that will work for now.

papajack

papajack

The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain. What is painful is replacement cost of batteries in equipment after say 3 years. What is painful is people throwing out 3 year old equipment because the batteries cost too much. I could go on, but that will work for now.
So true.

I never said Hello to Electric...

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain.
I agree and easy, too. But that doesn't make it so for everyone. This forum is filled with basic maintenance questions and others from those with problems caused by improperly doing so. Beyond that, many owners bring their mowers in for a "spring tune-up". Not everyone understands maintenance, is inclined to do so, or even looks at manuals.

For example, here's a post from last night on a mower that costs over $5,000:
"I purchased a ZTS2 mid summer last year and only have 27 hours on it. I changed the oil and have fresh gas in it. I cleaned the deck and blades. Anything else I need to do before using it for the first mow?"

papajack

papajack

So true. Some people check their fingers after working on something.

woodstover

woodstover

What kind of warranty are on these batteries, just curious

TonyPrin

TonyPrin

What kind of warranty are on these batteries, just curious
Warranty is generally 5-years for non-commercial use. The OP obviously fits within the warranty but not everyone keeps receipts and RYOBI service centers and not always convenient.

papajack

papajack

For anything with batteries, you have to decide if you are OK with the cost. Look up the cost before you buy. My Ryobi takes four batteries, old-fashioned lead batteries.
For example, now stories are coming out that car battery replacements cost from $20 to $50 thousand if they still make the battery pack. My car is a 2005 Honda Civic, and my truck is a 2015 Colorado. Both are still going strong, and any repairs are within my budget. Anyone would be stupid to buy a used electric car.

woodstover

woodstover

Warranty is generally 5-years for non-commercial use. The OP obviously fits within the warranty but not everyone keeps receipts and RYOBI service centers and not always convenient.
True, but most batteries are dated at mfg. Ryobi has mailed me batteries under warranty.

Might also be cheaper to have them rebuilt locally as opposed to replaced.

G

GearHead36

The maintenance on a gas mower really isn’t a pain.
True, but.... I'm fairly mechanical, and I've had no-start problems with gas equipment in the past, too, until I learned not to ignore the maintenance schedule. One problem, if you want to call it that, is that many OPE engines will tolerate being neglected. To a point. If someone buys a new gas mower, and does nothing to it but add gas, it will still likely last 3 yrs if it's a 4-stroke. For 2-cycles, they will last longer as they will get fresh oil in every tank of gas... until the exhaust screen plugs. Then you learn to stop running at part throttle. Then there are those who DO follow the maintenance, and after 5 yrs or so, it still gets hard to crank because the valves need adjusting. If you follow the maintenance schedule, including valve adjustments, and always run your equipment at full throttle, it will last decades. Or, at least, they used to. Equipment built 10 yrs ago would do this. Now? I'm not so sure.

Now if someone is the type who just adds gas to their gas mower until it dies, they will also likely be the type to run an electric mower until it stops, then change or charge the battery. Completely draining a battery every time is a good way to shorten it's lifespan. So these people will still be replacing their mower every 3 yrs.

papajack

papajack

True, but.... I'm fairly mechanical, and I've had no-start problems with gas equipment in the past, too, until I learned not to ignore the maintenance schedule. One problem, if you want to call it that, is that many OPE engines will tolerate being neglected. To a point. If someone buys a new gas mower, and does nothing to it but add gas, it will still likely last 3 yrs if it's a 4-stroke. For 2-cycles, they will last longer as they will get fresh oil in every tank of gas... until the exhaust screen plugs. Then you learn to stop running at part throttle. Then there are those who DO follow the maintenance, and after 5 yrs or so, it still gets hard to crank because the valves need adjusting. If you follow the maintenance schedule, including valve adjustments, and always run your equipment at full throttle, it will last decades. Or, at least, they used to. Equipment built 10 yrs ago would do this. Now? I'm not so sure.

Now if someone is the type who just adds gas to their gas mower until it dies, they will also likely be the type to run an electric mower until it stops, then change or charge the battery. Completely draining a battery every time is a good way to shorten it's lifespan. So these people will still be replacing their mower every 3 yrs.
In the 70's I had a Murray lawn mower. It lasted over 10 tens. I just put gas in it and left it out in the yard until next spring. Always started on the first pull. Like real men, they do not make them like that anymore.

P

PGB1

I can surely empathize with your frustrations, PapaJack!
Battery tools can often be frustrating- espeically when the manufacturer coats the circuit boards with black epoxy so we can't diagnose & fix them! Most of my hand tools are plug-it-in-the-wall. I get to keep working while my co workers mess around with batteries.

Maybe One of These Will Help Ease The Pain...
(For tool batteries, including yard tools)

A) I usually rebuild the packs myself, upgrading to higher mAh cells in the process. It costs about 1/10th the cost of a ready-made brand name battery.
Open the pack & you will see markings on the cells showing you what to purchase.
If you're not really good at soldering, buy cells with the solder tabs already on them. The tabs are crazy-easy easy to solder. Low priced sources for cells are Temu, sometimes Amazon, eBay, BangGood, sometimes Bonanza. (Temu is by far the lowest priced of the group, but tedious to search.)

B) Places like Batteries Plus will rebuild the battery packs. Cost?

C) Low cost aftermarket batteries are all over the internet for many tools.
Checked Today For An Example:
Ryobi #OP4015/4050 40 volt 5aH = Two For $12.02 USD at Temu (A friend bought these some years ago & they are performing very well.)
There are lots of legitimate aftermarket sellers on line, or try the cheap places mentioned in "A" above.

Warranty The Easy Way:
Warranty for Ryobi was mentioned earlier.
With no receipt, if you happened to buy the machine or batteries at a Home Depot store; they can handle the entire warranty claim by using the credit card number of the card used for the purchase.

This can be done in the store or by calling their Customer Service number.
I've done this a few times without problems. Home Depot Customer Service is pretty peaceful about returns & warranty claims. In-Store around here is a roll-of-the-dice. Some people are happy & some are evil.

Home Depot usually tells me not to return the old part, so with batteries I get a new one from them and then rebuild the old one for a spare.

I don't know how easy Walmart & other Ryobi sellers make returns.

Enjoy Today!
Paul

H

Hawk1954

I was at walmart yesterday and the gas powered t(what we use to call a throw away) push mower with b&s, was 294 bucks....were talking 89 bucks a few years ago.... They are forcing you to electric.

G

GrumpyCat

The EGo battery warranty is 3 years. Am still using my original 7.5Ah from 2016.

The worst thing you can do is leave it on the charger 24/7. Second only to leaving it out in freezing temperatures.

My 2013 Tesla Model S 85 still had 93% of it's original battery capacity remaining when I passed the car on to my sister this past December. Simply awful! In December it also needed it's 4th 12V battery.

G

GrumpyCat

And you are lucky that the batteries haven't been obsoleted forcing you to purchase a new mower.
That is the old Craftsman trick of "upgrading" to higher battery voltages every few years. Sears sure is a success to be admired!

EGo did a very good job designing one battery, right, the first time. Everything is 56V, and the same connection is used for all.

G

GrumpyCat

For anything with batteries, you have to decide if you are OK with the cost. Look up the cost before you buy. My Ryobi takes four batteries, old-fashioned lead batteries.
Yes, that is why they didn't last very long. Flooded lead-acid batteries wear very fast when subject to a deep discharge. Lithium-ion doesn't like operating at full charge or low charge but is very happy in the middle. LiFePO4 costs less than lithium-ion, likes a full charge and discharges don't wear as bad as other chemistries, but weigh more than lithium-ion.

For example, now stories are coming out that car battery replacements cost from $20 to $50 thousand if they still make the battery pack. My car is a 2005 Honda Civic, and my truck is a 2015 Colorado. Both are still going strong, and any repairs are within my budget. Anyone would be stupid to buy a used electric car.
I hear batteries cost a million dollars each! There, I've outdone you in sensationalism.

EV batteries are warranted 100% replacement for 8 years, 100,000 miles. Or more.

A good assortment of Tesla Model Y Long Range 82kWh batteries can be had on eBay for $8500. Simply awful!

I

ILENGINE

That is the old Craftsman trick of "upgrading" to higher battery voltages every few years. Sears sure is a success to be admired!

EGo did a very good job designing one battery, right, the first time. Everything is 56V, and the same connection is used for all.
Sears isn't the only one. Add Husqvarna/Poulan Pro for total customer refund of money for a blower that the battery went bad on 3 months into a 3 year warranty and the battery was NLA.

P

PGB1

Sears isn't the only one. Add Husqvarna/Poulan Pro for total customer refund of money for a blower that the battery went bad on 3 months into a 3 year warranty and the battery was NLA.
NLA sure is the killer of many things!

For a Metabo-HPT oscillating tool that came missing a part last week, the part was "Obsolete no replacement available" the very same day that I bought it new in the box from Lowes. (Lowes gave me no problems returning it.) And, that model is still for sale locally and on Metabo-HPT's web site.

I have a Cleva Lawnmaster Brand mower. It arrived missing parts. The same day that it arrived, I contacted them. Like the tool above, "No Parts Available- and Not Returnable". The credit card company refunded the cost. I made the parts. Free Mower. Ditto on a Cleva leaf blower.
But, oddly a year after purchase, the Cleva Vacmaster workshop vacuum needed a switch. They sent a whole new vacuum free.

Crazy World!

S

SeniorCitizen

Before determining if you like a battery powered on anything , ask if the batteries are pro-rated

(y)

A

aussielawny

While all my gear is ICE, there are rules to using lithium batteries for long life, the main one being not to run them right down continuously......been a lawn contractor for over 30 yrs, if l was starting over l'd be looking at all battery gear, KRESS perhaps?

D

DinosaurMike

I bought Ridgid battery operated tools because the batteries and tools have a lifetime warranty. I had a hassle with a local service shop replacing batteries on my first Ridgid cordless drill. It had my kit for four weeks when I finally called customer service and a very sympathetic employee sent me two new batteries and registered them for the warranty. I see that Home Depot has a whole new system for warranty claims that do not include having to go through a local shop.
I have a portable generator so I bought mostly 120 volt outdoor tools. I have purchased a couple of outdoor battery operated tools with the thought that they are probably throwaways. I'll have to get in touch with PGB1 for advice if the batteries fail. I use the batteries, charge them, then put them on the rack until next use.
I found it amazing about how many and how thick of branches that a Ridgid battery recip saw could cut. I bought special blades and it went through 6" and even thicker branches with ease. And a lot of them on a single charge. I wore out before the battery did.

T

TobyU

The prices of batteries are going absolutely the wrong way of what the market should be doing but that must just be greed.

Instead of getting a replacement battery for a walk behind mower for 50 to 80 bucks they are now at least $150 if not 250.
I don't ever want to have any of the battery powered outdoor power equipment because it's simply too much of a sacrifice - at least up to now and currently.
Maybe one of these days they will have them with the power and duration of operation so it won't be a sacrifice but then the battery will be $300 and only last two to three years because they want you to amortize the amount over the number of years to justify the price.
I DON'T THINK SO!
I have tons of equipment that I haven't put a single penny into since the day I bought the item and have had many of these things for 20 plus years.
I'm literally not kidding.
Most of the things have had some oil changes here or there but very infrequently but some of them literally have never had any oil purchased by me to put into them but just topped off by whatever oil I happen to inherent as partially open bottles etc.
I guess to be technical you would have to count the gas to power them but not really because if you're going to do that you have to also count the money for the electricity you pay for to charge the batteries.

There is no doubt about it- gasoline powered wins big time!
I know that many governments and the powers that be don't want it to be this way and the big fans of battery powered stuff also don't want it to be this way but this is simply the fact.

The only thing that battery powered winds is convenience if you only need them for a short duration of time.
It is far more convenient to grab your small handheld battery pack that may also fit your rechargeable drill from the charger or from laying on the counter and slap it onto your blower and pull the trigger to go blow the cobwebs off of your front porch or blow the grass off your sidewalk.
As long as you don't need a lot of power and you don't need it for over 12 to 15 minutes it will be wonderful.
If you need a really strong blow or you need to use it for a large part of the day, the battery stuff will quickly become VERY INCONVENIENT.

I choose to skip this problem and just stay with the stuff that I know gets the job done easily.

J

Jimmy the Lock

I have some commercial grade Ingersol Rand impact guns and batteries for those are expensive

But, I was able to find a 3rd party battery being sold online for a fraction of what the OE batteries cost and they come with a 5 year warranty that replaces the batteries of they fail within 5 years. They are working great!

Another thing to consider is some of these hand held batteries that plug in can be disassembled so the battery itself can be replaced and the same case / electronics are retained.

J

Jimmy the Lock

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cat_got_your_tongue.gif

T

TiredRetired

I have found over the years that it is always best to follow a strict regimen on Lithium batteries. Always wait a few hours after battery depletion to put in charger. If possible use the lowest charging rate. For example I am using the Ryobi slow charger that came with my leaf blower to charge the 6AH battery for my mower instead of the rapid 194 watt charger that came with the mower. Not sure how long it will take but I do not care. It will be ready the next time I need to mow. I anticipate I will get 3-4 mowings on one charge so I will run the battery down to close to discharge before slow charging again.

I have used this practice on all my M18 Fuel Milwaukee batteries and I am currently on year 14 with them and they all work well and still hold a great charge and they were all refurbs from CPO Milwaukee when I bought them in 2012.

I would never purchase an electric tractor and certainly not an EV. Modern 2.0 Turbo engines like the one in my Ford Maverick pickup are superb time tested well built engines that give great gas milage and power.

Modern 2.0 Turbo engines like the one in my Ford Maverick pickup are superb time tested well built engines that give great gas milage and power.
Wife has same 2.0L turbo'd Eco-Boost engine in her Lincoln. No complaints to date..

H

Heretik

Hello, I'm new to the forum with targeted interest in Ryobi 80V ZTR and specifically the 42" cut.
Purchased late May 2024.

Only disappointment and truly a choice I had to make was the 42 inch "Stamped Deck".
I wasn't of a mind to pay for the larger "manufactured deck", as 42" is in my comfort zone. I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with manufactured deck with "lap bar steering" and transitioning to iDrive joy-stick steering has been a chore...muscle memory has yet to develop fully. I've never wrecked a shopping cart nor my Raptor 42, but I'm dreading the day when this Ryobi with iDrive is going to do some damage. I creep (slower than January Maple Syrup) between the 12YO Toyota Camry and 54YO Chevy CST to the Ryobi's reserved barn parking.

I see the cost of Batteries is a scalding subject of discussion. We didn't go to war to rape Afghanistan of their Trillions in Lithium Reserves but rather for their Billions in annual Opium production. We wouldn't have an opium crisis here at home without it. Somebody tell me, why any sane individual would voluntarily serve multiple tours in a carp hole like Afghanistan.

Quite true the cost of a 80V Briefcase Battery is eye opening at $900 each, 06.12.24 MSRP
(+/- $1). Outrageous in fact, considering all the warring we did to re-install Al-Qaeda into power.
But, I digress. And $350 for the 40V "supplemental" batteries (SB) that are included with a $4000 Electric ZTR Mower.

Stress Test them batteries my friends. BTW, Ryobi dropped the price on the 42" ZTR mower by $2000. Seems no one was willing to take the plunge for the Original $6000 MSRP tag. And for $4000 they are lined up, and sun-faded, ready to go at you local HomeDepot.

Stress Testing batteries led me to conclude the 1st unit received was defective. All power usage was being drained from the "SB".
Evidenced by LED readout showing charge level down to 60%; but, the 80V Briefcase Battery (BB) check indication a full tank (100%). Swapped it, the 1st unit, for a 2nd and put it to the test. Suspicion validated when LED readout of 60% was verified by BB check of 59-61% and
likewise the SB idiot lights indicating 50+%.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles". That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low comfortable. I've gone so low as to require a scurry hurry back to the barn when the Low Battery Alert arose. An upgrade would be an audible on this alert, not simply a visual on the LED.

Double-Cut blades replacements are not available at this time, 06.12.24. The blade adapters are available @ $4.20 each. The double-cut blades do an awesome job of mulching the grass, even tall grass is no problem. The problem is them thar blades are thin and won't stand up to hitting a common red house brick. Bent the carp out of the upper blade on one side. Pounded it back into reasonably same straightness but not good enough, I surmise. Removed the same blade from the other side and I'm back to mowing. But it won't mulch the grass as before. The Red Brick incident damaged the associated blade adapter. I'm waiting for Ryobi to reverse their cranial-anal positioning and restock the blades before also ordering adapters.

Well folks, those are my 1st month notables, and I hope to hear from you.

J

Joed756

No big technological advances have come without pain. With electric vehicles of all types we are in the painful stage now. We will either get past the flaws or give up on the idea. It's good we didn't give up when our computers were crashing all the time and cost an arm and leg to replace.

H

Heretik

Good point Joed756

I see one manufacturer's application of forced air cooling during a battery recharge cycle; while another manufacturer couldn't shivagit about the matter.
Greenworks is the former and Ryobi the latter.
Speaking of Ryobi and $4100 MSRP full boat value of installed and fully enclosed batteries having zero air-flow cooling during a recharge cycle on the ZTR mower. BAD, bad dipshitz! I suppose that is one of them thar growing pains.

I've a Greenworks Leaf Blower. Don't waste your money. It was a mistake when I ordered it; and, I was unable to cancel as it was almost immediately assigned a shipping order number. That was slick! It has a 60V battery having no amp hour identification on it. I can't image how many batteries would be necessary for clearing the average home lot. I'm lucky to get to the end of my driveway on a single charge.

Then there's the Ryobi 40V 12AH unit with a clocked 24 minute full speed max run time. How much lawn clearing can the average homeowner accomplish in 24 minutes. And a 2nd battery will cost > $350.

G

GrumpyCat

Good point Joed756

I see one manufacturer's application of forced air cooling during a battery recharge cycle; while another manufacturer couldn't shivagit about the matter.
Greenworks is the former and Ryobi the latter.
EGo chargers use forced air through the battery. Don’t know if they do the same in push mowers during discharge. The battery is in a clean, closed, compartment that could have airflow. Don’t remember any filter for that compartment. 1st generation 2016 EGo mower.

G

GrumpyCat

Quite true the cost of a 80V Briefcase Battery is eye opening at $900 each, 06.12.24 MSRP
How much is a new engine?
It doesn’t really matter.

What matters is how much service you get for what you pay. Consider cost of gasoline, cost of getting gasoline, motor oil, and replacement engine. Is pretty hard to accurate estimate for comparison which suggests the results are close.

I still use an EGo 56v 7.5ah battery from 2016. Seems to have 80-99% of original capacity based on mowing time. Not a great comparison because hard to say if I was mowing taller or thicker grass now vs then.

Stress Testing batteries led me to conclude the 1st unit received was defective. All power usage was being drained from the "SB".
Evidenced by LED readout showing charge level down to 60%; but, the 80V Briefcase Battery (BB) check indication a full tank (100%). Swapped it, the 1st unit, for a 2nd and put it to the test. Suspicion validated when LED readout of 60% was verified by BB check of 59-61% and
I have no idea what you said.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles".
No!

That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
It is not.

Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low comfortable.
Congratulations! You are doing the worst thing possible for lithium battery life.

A lithium-ion battery wears fastest as one deviates from 50% SOC. Wear increases greatly as one approaches the upper and lower limits.

Consumer devices do not provide the user with the ability to limit total charge. Also we have no knowing of how full the manufacturer defines “full”. So we have to trust a full charge is to a safe limit and not truly 100% of the cell’s potential.

Hopefully they have done same with the lower limit protecting yourself from yourself.

Discharge to less than full discharge for getting the maximum acres mowed during the battery’s life. This is what we do with EVs. I routinely charge to 70% which is 230 miles. Few days are over 50 miles but I’m ready if need be. Today was 150 miles and charged to 270 this morning.

Previous Tesla car’s battery had 93% of original capacity at 10 years treating it this way.

A

aussielawny

How much is a new engine?
It doesn’t really matter.

What matters is how much service you get for what you pay. Consider cost of gasoline, cost of getting gasoline, motor oil, and replacement engine. Is pretty hard to accurate estimate for comparison which suggests the results are close.

I still use an EGo 56v 7.5ah battery from 2016. Seems to have 80-99% of original capacity based on mowing time. Not a great comparison because hard to say if I was mowing taller or thicker grass now vs then.

I have no idea what you said.

No!

It is not.

Congratulations! You are doing the worst thing possible for lithium battery life.

A lithium-ion battery wears fastest as one deviates from 50% SOC. Wear increases greatly as one approaches the upper and lower limits.

Consumer devices do not provide the user with the ability to limit total charge. Also we have no knowing of how full the manufacturer defines “full”. So we have to trust a full charge is to a safe limit and not truly 100% of the cell’s potential.

Hopefully they have done same with the lower limit protecting yourself from yourself.

Discharge to less than full discharge for getting the maximum acres mowed during the battery’s life. This is what we do with EVs. I routinely charge to 70% which is 230 miles. Few days are over 50 miles but I’m ready if need be. Today was 150 miles and charged to 270 this morning.

Previous Tesla car’s battery had 93% of original capacity at 10 years treating it this way.
This ^^

Wife has same 2.0L turbo'd Eco-Boost engine in her Lincoln. No complaints to date..
Well spoke too soon on 2 things (wife is gonna become X-wife) & her Linc threw 2 codes for the turbo.
P0299 & P144L Turbo under boost & Evap Emission Purge I think.

Not my problem.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Hello, I'm new to the forum with targeted interest in Ryobi 80V ZTR and specifically the 42" cut.
Purchased late May 2024.

Only disappointment and truly a choice I had to make was the 42 inch "Stamped Deck".
I wasn't of a mind to pay for the larger "manufactured deck", as 42" is in my comfort zone. I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with manufactured deck with "lap bar steering" and transitioning to iDrive joy-stick steering has been a chore...muscle memory has yet to develop fully. I've never wrecked a shopping cart nor my Raptor 42, but I'm dreading the day when this Ryobi with iDrive is going to do some damage. I creep (slower than January Maple Syrup) between the 12YO Toyota Camry and 54YO Chevy CST to the Ryobi's reserved barn parking.

I see the cost of Batteries is a scalding subject of discussion. We didn't go to war to rape Afghanistan of their Trillions in Lithium Reserves but rather for their Billions in annual Opium production. We wouldn't have an opium crisis here at home without it. Somebody tell me, why any sane individual would voluntarily serve multiple tours in a carp hole like Afghanistan.

(+/- $1). Outrageous in fact, considering all the warring we did to re-install Al-Qaeda into power.
But, I digress. And $350 for the 40V "supplemental" batteries (SB) that are included with a $4000 Electric ZTR Mower.

Stress Test them batteries my friends. BTW, Ryobi dropped the price on the 42" ZTR mower by $2000. Seems no one was willing to take the plunge for the Original $6000 MSRP tag. And for $4000 they are lined up, and sun-faded, ready to go at you local HomeDepot.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles". That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low comfortable. I've gone so low as to require a scurry hurry back to the barn when the Low Battery Alert arose. An upgrade would be an audible on this alert, not simply a visual on the LED.

Double-Cut blades replacements are not available at this time, 06.12.24. The blade adapters are available @ $4.20 each. The double-cut blades do an awesome job of mulching the grass, even tall grass is no problem. The problem is them thar blades are thin and won't stand up to hitting a common red house brick. Bent the carp out of the upper blade on one side. Pounded it back into reasonably same straightness but not good enough, I surmise. Removed the same blade from the other side and I'm back to mowing. But it won't mulch the grass as before. The Red Brick incident damaged the associated blade adapter. I'm waiting for Ryobi to reverse their cranial-anal positioning and restock the blades before also ordering adapters.

Well folks, those are my 1st month notables, and I hope to hear from you.
Believe me, the stamped deck will not be your only disappointment on this mower. Wait until the batteries take a dump and you see the cost of labor and replacement. Wait until you need service and the nearest service center is in the next state 90 miles away. It is a choice people make when buying off brand products from big box stores.

J

Joed756

1718376984774.jpeg