Getting small, best lawn tractor.

mitchstein443

Threads
I just got a ryobi electric mower.. and I love it!! I got the small one with 50ah battery about 2 months ago and it mows my backyard and to neighbor yards on a single charge, yards are like 25x150 feet has a 32" deck..

My neighbor who has 2 acres just got the 200ah ryobi and he mows his whole 2 acres no problem 42" deck..

So I tested my little tractors towing capacity..

Moved a small block chevy about 50 feet while sitting in a garden trailer no problem at all.

Trying to pull the 1995 yukon back about 10 feet from the garage door (in order to remove before mention small block) it kept popping the front wheel off the ground so e had my helper stnd on the front of the mower and it moved it back 10 feet with no problem, from concrete flat to grass.. worked about as well as my 22hp craftsman with hydrostatic trans (dyt4000) for moving the vehicle) also towed my 1972 JD 400 tractor from accross the street to my garage with no problem, the jd weighs about 3/4 ton plus 200lbs for the deck. It was moved about 400 feet.. didn't even struggle with a 200lb rider on the jd to steer as well..

Now it just comes down to durability and we will know in about 6 months to a year how tht is, got a 3 year extended warranty though so not worry...

Oh and it cost just under 3k with bagger and bagger blades delivery and everything. very very happy sofar ad recomend it to anyone with a smaller lawn. The only donside is it takes 8-12 hours to fully charge from empty.. I get a little over an acre of mowing with it, it's rated at one, we went about 1.25 acres before it started beeping battery low. and we drove it around the block about 8 ties straight and the battery indicator still said 50%, got tired of riding it around in cirlces lol...

jd 300

Threads
I have had good luck with the John Deere mower. I have a x300 since 2008 that still runs great and a lx176 still running great. All have kaw engines.

rwkoch

Forum Newbie
Threads
JD X354 with All Wheel Steer. 42" deck and great maneuverability for those flower beds and trees.
I agree. I have a one acre lot and have been cutting with a JD X304 for the past 12 years. Like the 4 wheel steering as we have a lot of treee.

Chatterboss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had serious acreage for 45 years. Mowed with Kubota diesels for most of that time. Now have one acre with home on it and I’m looking at a lawn tractor
to do the job. Have no experience with small gas units since the early 1980s. Inventory is short at most dealers. Two neighbors have JD units, a 100 and a 200 series. The local dealer has only 300 series and up in limited numbers. What can any of you recommend, Zero turn would work but wife doesn’t like them at all, demoed a Kubota diesel years back and it did not go well. So Tractor it is. Looking at 42 in(?)deck. All input appreciated.
42 “ would be too small for one ace, we have abig more then one ace and have a 60 “ which takes over an hour at times..

Ronni

Threads
You asked for the best lawn tractor; that means you don’t mind paying for a higher dollar unit with a great reputation and warranty. Check the higher end brands and check the online reviews and that should narrow your choices. You will probably end up with a John Deere model. Opinions are only opinions; most are of little value compared to doing your own research.

JBeardsley

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had a zero turn Cub Cadet RZT 54" since 2012 and have had little to no problems....Changed my first lawn deck belt yesterday and still does not need a main belt.....It is a no brainer for me I am getting to old to do all the trimming that was needed after using my old 18 hp Craftsman.....the RZT cuts triming to zero.....I have 3 acres to cut and will never go back to a regular mower ....zero turn only....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dont get the idea that because it is Green it is actually a Deere. Most all these low end mowers are made under licensing agreements by the same two companies. I have one, made after the series which had the collapsing hoods, but before the series where all the transmissions leaked and JD would not fix. Avoid if possible the current mickey mouse steering as it must be rebuilt on a regular basis. The steering on the JD is worse as not even adjustable and the front wheels will bow out after first year which makes it a wonderful drive. Do a little search for this issue on youtube and you will see what I mean if you are not familiar. The best of these things I think is the Cub Cadet, and a dealer model has a KAW engine which is head and shoulders over B&S or a Kohler Courage, which is to be avoided at all costs. I was at a Simplicity dealer yesterday and they had a new one for under 5k which had a real tie rod between the front wheels. Give one of those a gander before buying.
Wrong.
JD Liscenced the design of the 100 series & 200 series from a third party ,.
AYP use the same design.
DOn't know if either of them actually own the design
However for ride ons, JD make all of their own .
The Scotts & Sabres were originally made by Murray but all of the 100 & 200 series are made in the Lawrensburg factory.'We have had more than one ex- employee from that factory on here over the years complete with photos of the mowers being made .
Before that I would have bet that the 100 series was made by AYP ( Husqvarna ) as about 2/3 of the parts are interchangeable .
You really must take everything you see on Feaces Book with a grain of salt untill it has been independently verified.
The 400 series diesels are Yanmars with green body work under a recriprocal deal where Yanmar sell rebadged Deers as neither have enough sales in a particular segment to make production viable.
This is common amongst manufacturers with a very large product range .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Deck size and cutting speeds are not really related
I have a 34" Greenfields that cuts a acre a lot faster than most 54" tractors .
IT is all about the effiency of the deck .
Product brouchures simply work out cutting rates as max ground speed x deck width.
Very few will cut more than 0.5" at maximum ground speed and most won't cut at all because by the time the blades of grass spring back up from being bent down by the front of the deck, at full speed the mower has already passed over them

cous261

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd have to agree with JBreadsley as I too have a Cub Cadet RZT 54 2007 and have not looked back as zero turns are the market now as commercial lawn care business use these to get the jobs done fast and clean. Mind has been the best investment I made and love how I can get up close to the trees and hardly ever use the weed eater as great for getting up next to the shrubs, house and garage. Been through a couple of set of blades and a set of belts which I probably could have got by with for a little longer but decided while deck was off to go ahead and change out but keep just in case one of those day came and stores were close and needed to finish the cutting for the day. Parts not always in stock in my local dealer or Tractor Supply and have a hour drive up and one back to closes parts store that most every time has just what I need back before when I had a old craftsman garden tractor. Zero turn definitely the way to go if you can.

I see were wife may not like them but wonder if this is because of the controls of which if she's give it a try I think she'll handle it well and may find a new toy she likes and will never look back as depending on model and money you can get some fine riding and cutting machines now days in the zero turns. As the small tractor which I call a garden tractor is a fading thing now with the zero turn market growing and taking the market now I believe. Just as the sub-compacts are getting to be popular with those wanting a little more than just a mower and more versatile garden and yard machine.

Something landscapers and lawn care people are also using as well as the compact tractors which depending on the jobs they do can go from 24-40 hp tractors or even larger if necessary. An if the wife still has a issue with zero turns Cub Cadet also now makes one with a steering wheel that works like a zero turn only you steer it with a wheel like a tractor but it performs like a zero turn if she has a issue with the handle type. Though I think once she gives them a try a few times she find she like cutting the grass on it just fine. Good luck and though I got mind from the box store it might be a better idea now that this Covid stuff has had such a impact on things a local dealer might be a better choice if you have that option.

We have a local Cub dealer but only for parts as Tractor Supply and box stores with some things. But they don't do service so that might also be why local dealer might be better if you not into servicing on working whatever you buy now days. As we all reach that age where we can't do what we think we can and as I'm learning myself. Hope this may help be safe and God bless.

wlh36351

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a reason all the commercial guys use zero turns. With all those trees/plants to go around with a lawn tractor you will kill yourself backing up and turning around. Pick any commercial grade (not one sold at Lowes/Home Depot) zero turn and learn how to use it. You will never be sorry. It will take about 1 - 2 hrs to learn how to drive it and then you can go 3/4 speed beside a building or tree and never hit it. You and your wife will be so happy using it and going around plants and just keep cutting grass not fighting a steering wheel. Learn how to use it out in the open so that you don't hit anything until you get the hang of it.