Export thread

Getting small, best lawn tractor.

L

lilguy

Had serious acreage for 45 years. Mowed with Kubota diesels for most of that time. Now have one acre with home on it and I’m looking at a lawn tractor
to do the job. Have no experience with small gas units since the early 1980s. Inventory is short at most dealers. Two neighbors have JD units, a 100 and a 200 series. The local dealer has only 300 series and up in limited numbers. What can any of you recommend, Zero turn would work but wife doesn’t like them at all, demoed a Kubota diesel years back and it did not go well. So Tractor it is. Looking at 42 in(?)deck. All input appreciated.

dougand3

dougand3

New or Used?
In used, I'd go 1980s-1990s Garden Tractor w/ Peerless or Dana Spicer geared transaxle or hydro k66 or stronger.
MTD 990, MTD GT1846, Craftsman GT 18-44", Simplicity, Ariens, Bolens, others can chime in on hydros.
Bet you'll find more than mowing duties on 1 acre.
Never touched new but have read you'd want a JD x300 or higher.

B

bertsmobile1

As Doug already mentioned
100 & 200 series JD's are built down to a price point as are all of the other brands
So if you have a price limit of under $ 5000, just pick the colour your wife thinks is prettiest .
If your pockets are deeper then look at the sub compact tractors that can take either a belly, out front or rear deck .
Some will take all 3 , and a bucket is always handy .
To make a meaning full recommendation then we really need to know what your terrain is like and what your long term plans are .

L

lilguy

I have a Kubota B2601 TLBMMM that is to big for my one acre. Only units I can find locally are JD 300 series and up, I can get
a 300 with a 42 in deck for a reasonable price. Dealer says 500 series is to much tractor for my one acre. Ive had KUBOTA diesels
for 40 years but small ones are non existent now. What can any of you offer in an opinion on the gas JD lawn tractors.

B

bertsmobile1

You are asking for an informed opinion without giving us any information to base it on
We need detailed descriptions of the plot, photos are always good and a ground plan is even better.
It is not a case of who makes the best it is a case which is the best for you .
If your lot is fairly flat then you can use a vertical shaft engine
If it is hilly then you need a horozintal shaft engine .
Forums are much like computers
If you put bad information in you get useless results out.
Based on what you have posted so far all you are going to get are peoples personal prefferences and prejudices none of which may be relevant to you .

L

lilguy

Flat with many trees, several raised island gardens. 5200 sf house center of lot. The two homes that mow their own have the smalls JDs. all the Landscapers use Zero turns.

B

Born2Mow

Here's a small JD lawn tractor.... CLICK HERE :ROFLMAO:

Flat is GOOD !! A ZT will be much easier to negotiate around all those trees, and finish the job much faster than any regular riding mower. You may want a battery operated string trimmer to finish up around the raised beds. At least my boss wants it that way.

Do not go to a "big box" store. Buy the new mower at a mower shop so that you can get better service, because you will have questions and want the warranty maintained.

L

lilguy

I concur on the local dealer purchase, I have a JD dealer close, anything I need to know about them that sales wont tell me about? They say 100 or 200 series would work well but they are not expecting any until late July.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Most tractors now sell for less than they did thirty years ago. That should raise a red flag as to what kind of quality you'll be getting. In a time in which the dollar buys far less than what it did thirty years ago, how can this possibly be? Answer is, it can't.

I have a 1994 Cub Cadet with a horizontal crankshaft 14 hp Onan engine. It cost $2400 new. Look and see what $2400 inflated dollars will buy today and you'll be getting the equivalent of that tractor. You'll probably find that more bells and whistles have been added, driving the price up even higher. I *think* that the Cub Cadet XT3 and John Deere 700 Series have horizontal shaft engines. In the JD case, it's liquid cooled, which is a plus.

Both of them are huge overkill for one acre.

L

lilguy

Your point being that anything one buys now for under X$$ is crap compared to several decades ago?

S

slomo

Snapper rear engine rider. Forrest Gump can't be wrong. LOL

slomo

L

lilguy

The Deeres available are a 42” x350 and a X380 48“. Sales says corporate is not guaranteeing quantity or delivery time now on any new equipment.

B

bertsmobile1

Your point being that anything one buys now for under X$$ is crap compared to several decades ago?
Yes
Most people have no idea how to assess the quality & value of anything now days .
The EU recognised this a long while ago so they require a service life expectancy to be included in the POS material .
The USA has spent a fortune in advertising to convince the population that modern manufacturing & good old US ingunity will make everything more affordable so the consumer can have everything they could possibly want, a consumers paradise.
The reality is totally different and to fulfil the lie, big manufacturers make rubbish that is barely able to outlast warranty/
Computers have made it possible to downgrade each & every part so they all fail around the same time thus you will go out & buy another one rather than have multiple expensive repairs done to your existing mower. ( Fooled you again )
To facilitate this all service points have been removed & replaced with non servicable parts like plastic bushes replacing greased metal ones .
Computers have made it possible to work out exactly how thin metal parts can be without breaking within the warranty period.
Husqvarna got this very wrong a few years back with a whole season of GT's that cracked & bent frames if any ground engaging tools were used .
Walmart kept demanding cheaper & cheaper mowers to the point they drove Noma then Murray broke plus hundreds of other USA companies .

So now you have trash in the under $ 3000 range, just pick the colour you like most .
A 50:50 chance of a good one in the $ 3000 to $ 5000 range and mostly quality above that .

Every mower car & just about all consumer durable manufacturers are run by accountants and to a person they have sent all public companies down the high volume low margin route which means high volume low quality but paint it nice colours & spend big on advertising and you can fool 90% of the population .
It is only companies that are privately controlled like Grasshopper, Walker etc where their good name is worth more than 1% extra sales and bigger companies like J D & Toro where executives are not paid outragous bonuses for every 0.05% sales increase that make quality mowers.
Even then JD tested the waters with the Scotts & Sabre brands and to finally launch the 100 & 200 series .
They are a bit better than the Husqvarnas & MTD's but not much better but cheap enough to be sold at the junk merchants like Lowes so people at least see them .

Honda got out of the ride on market completely when faced with the reality of having to reduce the quality of their mowers to the price point demanded bu the retail market.
A few years latter they abandoned the ride on mower engine market for the same reason.
Eaton did the same with their transmissions.

J

Joed756

One acre, presumably with at least one building on it. Buy yourself a good Toro walk-behind and get that exercise you (and I) need.

J

Joed756

One acre, presumably with at least one building on it. Buy yourself a good Toro walk-behind and get that exercise you (and I) need.
You can get cheaper than these, but not better.

G

Gord Baker

Had serious acreage for 45 years. Mowed with Kubota diesels for most of that time. Now have one acre with home on it and I’m looking at a lawn tractor
to do the job. Have no experience with small gas units since the early 1980s. Inventory is short at most dealers. Two neighbors have JD units, a 100 and a 200 series. The local dealer has only 300 series and up in limited numbers. What can any of you recommend, Zero turn would work but wife doesn’t like them at all, demoed a Kubota diesel years back and it did not go well. So Tractor it is. Looking at 42 in(?)deck. All input appreciated.
I have had a variety of 100 Series John Deere. L160 was a great one. I inherited an X 320 which is actually made by John Deere. Incredible cutting, totally different deck Setup. 22 HP Kawasaki engine and 48" cut. Totally pleased with it.

W

wekjo

Dont get the idea that because it is Green it is actually a Deere. Most all these low end mowers are made under licensing agreements by the same two companies. I have one, made after the series which had the collapsing hoods, but before the series where all the transmissions leaked and JD would not fix. Avoid if possible the current mickey mouse steering as it must be rebuilt on a regular basis. The steering on the JD is worse as not even adjustable and the front wheels will bow out after first year which makes it a wonderful drive. Do a little search for this issue on youtube and you will see what I mean if you are not familiar. The best of these things I think is the Cub Cadet, and a dealer model has a KAW engine which is head and shoulders over B&S or a Kohler Courage, which is to be avoided at all costs. I was at a Simplicity dealer yesterday and they had a new one for under 5k which had a real tie rod between the front wheels. Give one of those a gander before buying.

S

sk734

Years ago many garden tractors used Kohler cast iron motors and it helped those who used them JD,Cub,Wheelhorse etc build there reputations become very reliable small tractors that lasted for many years without much trouble. They also used six speed cast trannys. I owned a wheelhorse that had a hydro cast tranny + Kohler motor ran solid for 20 years. Sold it and it was still running. New equipment is not like that anymore. I taught my wife to run a Z and she will never go back to a garden tractor. She does the trimming wit it on our 5 acres. Good luck!!

S

sk734

Years ago many garden tractors used Kohler cast iron motors and it helped those who used them JD,Cub,Wheelhorse etc build there reputations become very reliable small tractors that lasted for many years without much trouble. They also used six speed cast trannys. I owned a wheelhorse that had a hydro cast tranny + Kohler motor ran solid for 20 years. Sold it and it was still running. New equipment is not like that anymore. I taught my wife to run a Z and she will never go back to a garden tractor. She does the trimming wit it on our 5 acres. Good luck!!
My choice for your 1 acre would be a 42 or 48 deck on a cheap JD Z mower. You will like the cut and I think it will give you good service. I used my JD Z for 5 years with no problems.

H

hansbrakob

I also have about an acre to mow.

Last year I bought a little 42” Cub Cadet zero turn.

Amazing machine, after riding “tractors” all these years.

B

Bellcrank

Just look at all different rider options with a 42" deck. With that and your 45 years of mow'n experience you will soon see whats what. If your do'n your own repair work stay away from MTD or any box store brand made by MTD. Not mechanic friendly.Cast iron front axle is a must. Do agree that 80-90"s riders are a good bet. American Yard Products or AYP are worth a look . Mechanic friendly. Oil filter is a must. New mowers have to much useless bullshit on them. It's a lawn mower, not a rocket ship and your mow'n one acre. Ya could do that with an old fashion push mower. :)

Attachments

R

RLB2

I have a 2010 X720 with the 54" gearbox driven belly deck and have been very happy with it mowing everything from less than 1/2 acre up to a few acres, but to be certain these X3xx, X5xx, and X7xx mowers are exactly that: mowers. If you want to put a bucket on the front you'll have to go aftermarket. If you want to put ground engagement (tiller, box blade, scarifier, etc) off the back you'll need to get the rear PTO and 3-point since these are not standard on these, and those add-ons are well north of $1k. For an acre I would not go smaller than the 54" deck but that's just me. The X7xx decks are very rugged compared to the big box mowers, and, having had (have ...) many older JD 2xx & 3xx lawn tractors as well, I agree with many posters to avoid the big box throw-away mowers that are sold today assuming it's a long term buy. Having said all this would I pay the $11k that my X720 tractor cost new? Nope, sure wouldn't, but I got mine from a private estate sale years ago for $4,500. It's been a great buy and I have worked it hard with only basic maintenance. For an acre in a more suburban setting I would think about the big box mowers and just flip it every 2-3 years before the aforementioned failures begin to happen. The big green big box mowers sell for about 40%-50% of new after a couple of years use so you could be riding a new mower every 2-3 yrs and still be doing OK financially. But if you want a front blade / bucket and/or rear ground engagement step up to the sub-compact tractors. $20k for a sub-compact buys a tractor-loader-backhoe with belly mower at any of the green, orange, and red dealers if you're OK with pushing hard on price. This year might be different because of the short supply issues so maybe a big box mower this year as a stop-gap and a TLB next year ??? Good luck!

M

MowManMow

Yes
Most people have no idea how to assess the quality & value of anything now days .
The EU recognised this a long while ago so they require a service life expectancy to be included in the POS material .
The USA has spent a fortune in advertising to convince the population that modern manufacturing & good old US ingunity will make everything more affordable so the consumer can have everything they could possibly want, a consumers paradise.
The reality is totally different and to fulfil the lie, big manufacturers make rubbish that is barely able to outlast warranty/
Computers have made it possible to downgrade each & every part so they all fail around the same time thus you will go out & buy another one rather than have multiple expensive repairs done to your existing mower. ( Fooled you again )
To facilitate this all service points have been removed & replaced with non servicable parts like plastic bushes replacing greased metal ones .
Computers have made it possible to work out exactly how thin metal parts can be without breaking within the warranty period.
Husqvarna got this very wrong a few years back with a whole season of GT's that cracked & bent frames if any ground engaging tools were used .
Walmart kept demanding cheaper & cheaper mowers to the point they drove Noma then Murray broke plus hundreds of other USA companies .

So now you have trash in the under $ 3000 range, just pick the colour you like most .
A 50:50 chance of a good one in the $ 3000 to $ 5000 range and mostly quality above that .

Every mower car & just about all consumer durable manufacturers are run by accountants and to a person they have sent all public companies down the high volume low margin route which means high volume low quality but paint it nice colours & spend big on advertising and you can fool 90% of the population .
It is only companies that are privately controlled like Grasshopper, Walker etc where their good name is worth more than 1% extra sales and bigger companies like J D & Toro where executives are not paid outragous bonuses for every 0.05% sales increase that make quality mowers.
Even then JD tested the waters with the Scotts & Sabre brands and to finally launch the 100 & 200 series .
They are a bit better than the Husqvarnas & MTD's but not much better but cheap enough to be sold at the junk merchants like Lowes so people at least see them .

Honda got out of the ride on market completely when faced with the reality of having to reduce the quality of their mowers to the price point demanded bu the retail market.
A few years latter they abandoned the ride on mower engine market for the same reason.
Eaton did the same with their transmissions.
Bingo!
Over 12yrs ago I sold my 5yr old crapsman rider before its cheap hydro failed and then its engine too. I bought a 1976 Wheel Horse that was well cared for, the owner had passed away.
The WH still operates perfect today and all its ever needed while mowing over 2 acres is basic maintenence. It has the cast iron side shaft Kohler K series. I've since bought a couple more Wheel Horses I found dirt cheap on craigs for future use & parts so my mower buying days are long behind me. The way our old true Garden Tractors were built vs a lawnmower is simply night & day. The best thing to buy is a true garden tractor, just beware of lawnmowers just having GT stickers that cant actually run implements like a tiller, generator, snow thrower etc.. lots of mowers disguised as tractors around.
Main problem is today's units are designed with "Planned Obsolescence" in mind so you constantly replace the units in a very short time frame. They are no longer built with any pride like this country once made products so they'd actually last us many decades like Wheel Horse, JD & Cub did yrs ago. Just a fair warning here!
The old iron is still out there running strong if you look around you... WH parts are easy to find online and not high, be sure to stick with the old Iron Kohler side shaft. Onan is very pricey today.
Good luck!

B

blip

I mow a couple acres I guess & have used zero turn for more than 20 years. First was a Grasshopper 42" out front & really like it. Then an Exmark, then two more. Now have Toro 60" Myride. The promise of a smooth ride sold me. It cuts great & I went from a full bagger to a mulching system. I like the mulching, works great on grass & leaves.
The ride is not what I thought it would be. Actually very unhappy with ride.

J

Jayrh

My daughter has a JD 135. Biggest piece of junk. The deck has only wheels on the front. The pretty yellow paint is flaking off and leaving rust underneath. The "system" to hold the belt on the pulleys when the deck clutch is plastic protrusions on the deck pulley plastic covers. These wore through in less than 5 years. I have added pieces of steel strapping to ride against the belts. The Briggs 2 cylinder and hydro drive are very good. My 13 year old Craftsman is a much better machine. It actually has steel rods for the mower belt to contact. The deck has 4 wheels and not two. The paint is nearly as good as new. Of course this is a Lowe's JD and not a "real" JD. Her JD is on my driveway again for repairs.

H

Henry47

Last year I bought a 42 " X350 JD from a dealership...../what a wonderful machine......no comparison to the Home Depot JD's.
Has standard oil filter and very easy drain, in fact all service is very easy. I cut a few acre's and its far superior to the Craftsman I had been using....it has an extremely tight turning radius.

gamma_ray

gamma_ray

Hello,

With that amount of lawn to mow, I think you should revisit ZTRs. We have a Hustler Fastrak that we purchased in 2003 with a Honda GXV620 and other than the usual maintenance items and fixes expected with a machine, we've been really happy with it. The engine runs as well as it did new.

A ZTR will cut acreage much quicker than a tractor, because it's much more maneuverable. Once you're used to the two drive control levers, it becomes second nature.

Oh, whatever you purchase, I recommend that you find a supply of non-ethanol gasoline to feed it. The gallon cans are pricey in the big-box stores, but a local gas station may have it. It's $/gallon is higher (about .30 higher per gallon where I live), but you will save that and save headaches in time with fewer fuel system problems associated with the 10% E mix. I've never had to do anything to my fuel system other than replace the fuel filter and fuel hose that got too brittle from years in the sun.

J

jsk2man

We have an JD X304 for maybe 10 years. That engine runs well, starts well. Good on gas. The all wheel steer is almost like power steering. Turns nice and sharp. We mow about 3-6 acres but also use other equipment. Our terrain is flat and rolling hill parts. Traction is great! Power for pulling aux mower is ok but not something you want to do every day. We have the 42" deck which mows nice, easy to take off and doesn't build too much thatch on the underside. The height adjustment has always worked well. The drive belt is another story to change out but the first one lasted many years. We have the same tires still. The only downside to ours is I'd like to have a drive on deck. Good luck and enjoy your 1 acre.

bkeller500

bkeller500

JD X354 with All Wheel Steer. 42" deck and great maneuverability for those flower beds and trees.

G

GDHS

Don't have a recommendation for one to buy, but do have a recommendation for one to avoid - depending on your particular situation. I have Kubota ZG-143S ZTR, 48" deck and a 23 (or so) HP Kohler gasoline engine. It's really fun to drive, but the starter invariably acts up if it gets the least bit of moisture on it, and the three short blades that are used to make up the 48" cut simply won't cut tall, tough Pensacola Bahia Grass on one pass no matter if the blades are new and no matter what speed you run the engine or mower. It performs well on standard lawn grass such as St. Augustine or Centipede.

mitchstein443

mitchstein443

I just got a ryobi electric mower.. and I love it!! I got the small one with 50ah battery about 2 months ago and it mows my backyard and to neighbor yards on a single charge, yards are like 25x150 feet has a 32" deck..

My neighbor who has 2 acres just got the 200ah ryobi and he mows his whole 2 acres no problem 42" deck..

So I tested my little tractors towing capacity..

Moved a small block chevy about 50 feet while sitting in a garden trailer no problem at all.

Trying to pull the 1995 yukon back about 10 feet from the garage door (in order to remove before mention small block) it kept popping the front wheel off the ground so e had my helper stnd on the front of the mower and it moved it back 10 feet with no problem, from concrete flat to grass.. worked about as well as my 22hp craftsman with hydrostatic trans (dyt4000) for moving the vehicle) also towed my 1972 JD 400 tractor from accross the street to my garage with no problem, the jd weighs about 3/4 ton plus 200lbs for the deck. It was moved about 400 feet.. didn't even struggle with a 200lb rider on the jd to steer as well..

Now it just comes down to durability and we will know in about 6 months to a year how tht is, got a 3 year extended warranty though so not worry...

Oh and it cost just under 3k with bagger and bagger blades delivery and everything. very very happy sofar ad recomend it to anyone with a smaller lawn. The only donside is it takes 8-12 hours to fully charge from empty.. I get a little over an acre of mowing with it, it's rated at one, we went about 1.25 acres before it started beeping battery low. and we drove it around the block about 8 ties straight and the battery indicator still said 50%, got tired of riding it around in cirlces lol...

J

jd 300

I have had good luck with the John Deere mower. I have a x300 since 2008 that still runs great and a lx176 still running great. All have kaw engines.

R

rwkoch

JD X354 with All Wheel Steer. 42" deck and great maneuverability for those flower beds and trees.
I agree. I have a one acre lot and have been cutting with a JD X304 for the past 12 years. Like the 4 wheel steering as we have a lot of treee.

C

Chatterboss

42 “ would be too small for one ace, we have abig more then one ace and have a 60 “ which takes over an hour at times..

R

Ronni

You asked for the best lawn tractor; that means you don’t mind paying for a higher dollar unit with a great reputation and warranty. Check the higher end brands and check the online reviews and that should narrow your choices. You will probably end up with a John Deere model. Opinions are only opinions; most are of little value compared to doing your own research.

J

JBeardsley

I have had a zero turn Cub Cadet RZT 54" since 2012 and have had little to no problems....Changed my first lawn deck belt yesterday and still does not need a main belt.....It is a no brainer for me I am getting to old to do all the trimming that was needed after using my old 18 hp Craftsman.....the RZT cuts triming to zero.....I have 3 acres to cut and will never go back to a regular mower ....zero turn only....

B

bertsmobile1

Dont get the idea that because it is Green it is actually a Deere. Most all these low end mowers are made under licensing agreements by the same two companies. I have one, made after the series which had the collapsing hoods, but before the series where all the transmissions leaked and JD would not fix. Avoid if possible the current mickey mouse steering as it must be rebuilt on a regular basis. The steering on the JD is worse as not even adjustable and the front wheels will bow out after first year which makes it a wonderful drive. Do a little search for this issue on youtube and you will see what I mean if you are not familiar. The best of these things I think is the Cub Cadet, and a dealer model has a KAW engine which is head and shoulders over B&S or a Kohler Courage, which is to be avoided at all costs. I was at a Simplicity dealer yesterday and they had a new one for under 5k which had a real tie rod between the front wheels. Give one of those a gander before buying.
Wrong.
JD Liscenced the design of the 100 series & 200 series from a third party ,.
AYP use the same design.
DOn't know if either of them actually own the design
However for ride ons, JD make all of their own .
The Scotts & Sabres were originally made by Murray but all of the 100 & 200 series are made in the Lawrensburg factory.'We have had more than one ex- employee from that factory on here over the years complete with photos of the mowers being made .
Before that I would have bet that the 100 series was made by AYP ( Husqvarna ) as about 2/3 of the parts are interchangeable .
You really must take everything you see on Feaces Book with a grain of salt untill it has been independently verified.
The 400 series diesels are Yanmars with green body work under a recriprocal deal where Yanmar sell rebadged Deers as neither have enough sales in a particular segment to make production viable.
This is common amongst manufacturers with a very large product range .

B

bertsmobile1

Deck size and cutting speeds are not really related
I have a 34" Greenfields that cuts a acre a lot faster than most 54" tractors .
IT is all about the effiency of the deck .
Product brouchures simply work out cutting rates as max ground speed x deck width.
Very few will cut more than 0.5" at maximum ground speed and most won't cut at all because by the time the blades of grass spring back up from being bent down by the front of the deck, at full speed the mower has already passed over them

C

cous261

I'd have to agree with JBreadsley as I too have a Cub Cadet RZT 54 2007 and have not looked back as zero turns are the market now as commercial lawn care business use these to get the jobs done fast and clean. Mind has been the best investment I made and love how I can get up close to the trees and hardly ever use the weed eater as great for getting up next to the shrubs, house and garage. Been through a couple of set of blades and a set of belts which I probably could have got by with for a little longer but decided while deck was off to go ahead and change out but keep just in case one of those day came and stores were close and needed to finish the cutting for the day. Parts not always in stock in my local dealer or Tractor Supply and have a hour drive up and one back to closes parts store that most every time has just what I need back before when I had a old craftsman garden tractor. Zero turn definitely the way to go if you can.

I see were wife may not like them but wonder if this is because of the controls of which if she's give it a try I think she'll handle it well and may find a new toy she likes and will never look back as depending on model and money you can get some fine riding and cutting machines now days in the zero turns. As the small tractor which I call a garden tractor is a fading thing now with the zero turn market growing and taking the market now I believe. Just as the sub-compacts are getting to be popular with those wanting a little more than just a mower and more versatile garden and yard machine.

Something landscapers and lawn care people are also using as well as the compact tractors which depending on the jobs they do can go from 24-40 hp tractors or even larger if necessary. An if the wife still has a issue with zero turns Cub Cadet also now makes one with a steering wheel that works like a zero turn only you steer it with a wheel like a tractor but it performs like a zero turn if she has a issue with the handle type. Though I think once she gives them a try a few times she find she like cutting the grass on it just fine. Good luck and though I got mind from the box store it might be a better idea now that this Covid stuff has had such a impact on things a local dealer might be a better choice if you have that option.

We have a local Cub dealer but only for parts as Tractor Supply and box stores with some things. But they don't do service so that might also be why local dealer might be better if you not into servicing on working whatever you buy now days. As we all reach that age where we can't do what we think we can and as I'm learning myself. Hope this may help be safe and God bless.

W

wlh36351

There is a reason all the commercial guys use zero turns. With all those trees/plants to go around with a lawn tractor you will kill yourself backing up and turning around. Pick any commercial grade (not one sold at Lowes/Home Depot) zero turn and learn how to use it. You will never be sorry. It will take about 1 - 2 hrs to learn how to drive it and then you can go 3/4 speed beside a building or tree and never hit it. You and your wife will be so happy using it and going around plants and just keep cutting grass not fighting a steering wheel. Learn how to use it out in the open so that you don't hit anything until you get the hang of it.

P

patme

I have two acres but probably only a acre and a half that I cut. For years, I used a Craftsman riding mower, 23 hp, 42 inch deck. It did the job without any problems. Now I have a Gravely zero turn with a 52 inch deck. I love it. Believe it or not, before I got the Craftsman I used a 30 inch Snapper rear engine. So, I would say, find the one that you like and go with it.

L

lilguy

Broughy my Kubota 2601 from our 16 acres. Moves snow quickly but to much for mowing. Put in small Koi pond and move material with it. That Z turns are replacing lawn tractors is the truth. Picking a Z turn is an even more involved decision.

S

select18

I would recommend a Ariens 42' ot 50" Zero Turn. Sold at Lowes or your local Ariens dealer. Runs around $2900. It is built at near commercial grade with 4½” deep fabricated deck made of 11-gauge steel. Padded high-back seat. Fully tubular steel frame for unprecedented strength. Easy dial-operated system for cutting height selection. Choice of 42” or 52” cutting widths. Take a look at youtube, lots of folks love this mower. I have had 2 with no problems at all. I had 2 John Deer zero turns and their decks are much thinner and I had lots of issues.

G

Gregoryb70

Like several have mentioned here, WHERE you buy is more important that WHAT BRAND you buy. With more money, you'll typically get a better mower regardless of the manufacturer. If you decided to go with a big box store, make sure you have a local shop that is willing to take good care of you after the sale because the big box won't. Some local dealers are happy to have your service and repair business regardless of where you buy the machine... others not so much. If you're out in the middle of nowhere, you should consider buying an extended warranty for it. Not only will that extend your manufacturer's warranty, but extended warranties cover pick up and delivery for warrantable failures regardless of where you live. The free pick up and delivery has saved some of my rural customers hundreds of dollars over the years.

Best of luck with you new purchase!
Greg Rose
Rose's Mower Shop

Perry

Perry

Why are you not considering a robotic mower?

L

lilguy

The same reason I don’t yet own a Shark or Tesla. They’re not as close as they need to be 100% useful, yet.

L

lilguy

Anyone use a Kubota GR2020?

B

bertsmobile1

The same reason I don’t yet own a Shark or Tesla. They’re not as close as they need to be 100% useful, yet.
Tesla , and all other battery powered cars are a con job and have been from day one.
The embedded CO2 content of the smallest battery is the same as the emission of a small V8 travelling 50,000 miles of highway cycle .
The embedded CO2 content of the rest of the vehicle is roughly 4 times that of a small USA saloon ( or large Japanese one )
So all they will do is shift the pollution from the USA or EU to China & Brazil and perhaps OZ as well so a bunch of Presidents can beat their hairy chests and pretend they are making a difference.

L

lilguy

What can anyone offer up on these Kubota GR 20 series lawn Tractors. Early models had major mechanical issues but it seems that’s been engineered out of the line now. Going to look a one hours away, gas engine. Appreciate any and all input. Comparing it to a JD X380 for relatively flat yard with trees, garden islands and one small area with steep slope.

Lasaded

Lasaded

I remember how I did these works for a well-groomed plot manually)) Why are you so worried about choosing this lawn mower? I bought a mini tractor from this dealer https://www.machinerydealer.co.uk/ . At first I thought about buying a mini-rider, but they are narrow-profile and are used exclusively for mowing grass, unlike mini-tractors. They do a wide range of gardening, shearing, mulching, and do I need to shovel snow all winter on my own? No. The engine is super, 22 horsepower on gasoline fuel. I bought it with a hydrostatic transmission, it's really more expensive, but it has both comfort and innovation. I bought the nozzles separately, now I was cleaning the fallen leaves with a mechanical brush. Good luck to everyone with the choice of good equipment.

Anielytra

Anielytra

If you are choosing a lawnmower tractor for a long time, do not neglect to study the features of each individual unit.
My advice is to consider before buying some important points and pay attention to:
Engine power and reliability
Choosing a garden tractor begins with determining the right engine power. Power - the main technical indicator on which the work of the entire mechanism is built. For large areas up to half a hectare, you need a model for 15-16 hp, for a field of 20-30 acres - 10-12 hp. I advise buying low-power devices on 6-7 hp for a lawn or garden near the house. As for reliability, the most durable and enduring engine globally is American Briggs & Stratton. Read more at heming-engineering.co.uk.

S

slomo

Get a couple three or four 30" push mowers. Get the entire family involved for some "family time".

Adamovsky

Adamovsky

My uncle and aunt are farmers, they live in a beautiful place, and they have a lot of flowers there, greenery, and some animals. I like spending time with them and my cousins; I usually learn something new about them and their passion. Last week my family and I decided to make them a present. We observed that their compact tractor is broken and we decided to buy them one. https://www.machinerydealer.co.uk/compact-tractors-for-sale/ They were amazed. And my family also were happy, because we managed to make them happy.

M

MichaelFalcone

OK Got it.

G

Gord Baker

A hectare is 2.1 Acres. Choosing a Garden / lawn tractor involves many things. Not just the Engine. Size of area to be cut. 38-48" deck is standard and for this you need 16-23 HP. Engine. You would not attempt to cut more than 5 acres with a Lawn Tractor let alone 15-20 acres!!! I doubt they make them in any size with 6-7 HP. Have you ever used one? Any idea how big an acre is? You are incorrect on your theory on the now Chinese made Brigg and Stratton Engines.