German Roaches

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Threads
76
Messages
10,212
I don't like having to kill anything but sometimes it is necessary.

Poisons are a lot less deader than they once were. Usually it takes nearly a week of constant eating the poison before the mice die which is usually in their dens. Cats don't normally dig up mice either. They are ambush hunters. Besides most cats are fed so well by their owns that they just watch the mice play around and never even try to catch them.

It is our owls and snakes that are at a greater risk of being poisoned. This because mice and rats are most active at night so owls eat a lot of them, but humans kill owls at night too. Snakes actually goes into the dens and again humans kills snakes out of fear. I got several here on the farm that comes and goes from my storage buildings and I see a mouse rarely in those buildings. Just got be careful and know to quickly id them. Now I do kill the poisonous ones as it is too dangerous for me working on equipment for them being around.

But consider while you are wearying about a slim chance of cat getting sick and /or dying the mice at having a field day with your household wiring and of your equipment wiring. More homes are burned down because of mice chewing on wiring. Mice are peeing [urine trails] all over everything in your home too. This is how they find their way around. Inside your cabinets they leave this urine all over your cookware and dishes. You really need to be washing these everytime before you use them.

Besides cats are the number one killer of songbirds with vehicles running a close second. So cats and humans are the main reason we are losing our song birds.
 

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Threads
390
Messages
2,991
I don't like having to kill anything but sometimes it is necessary.

Poisons are a lot less deader than they once were. Usually it takes nearly a week of constant eating the poison before the mice die which is usually in their dens. Cats don't normally dig up mice either. They are ambush hunters. Besides most cats are fed so well by their owns that they just watch the mice play around and never even try to catch them.

It is our owls and snakes that are at a greater risk of being poisoned. This because mice and rats are most active at night so owls eat a lot of them, but humans kill owls at night too. Snakes actually goes into the dens and again humans kills snakes out of fear. I got several here on the farm that comes and goes from my storage buildings and I see a mouse rarely in those buildings. Just got be careful and know to quickly id them. Now I do kill the poisonous ones as it is too dangerous for me working on equipment for them being around.

But consider while you are wearying about a slim chance of cat getting sick and /or dying the mice at having a field day with your household wiring and of your equipment wiring. More homes are burned down because of mice chewing on wiring. Mice are peeing [urine trails] all over everything in your home too. This is how they find their way around. Inside your cabinets they leave this urine all over your cookware and dishes. You really need to be washing these everytime before you use them.

Besides cats are the number one killer of songbirds with vehicles running a close second. So cats and humans are the main reason we are losing our song birds.
The ones across the street, at that shop, aren't fed. In fact, they've been trying to get rid of them.
Funny thing about that, at night, I could look over there and see several running around. Here lately, (in the last few days), I haven't seen a one. My landlord said they were trying to get rid of the cats that had come around their place. And that she "Didn't want to poison them like the guys at the shop." Which makes me cringe. I've seen a poisoned animal before when I was young. And ever since mom died (1998), I've not been able to harm animals, if I could help it. I seriously get all choked up when I accidentally hit one with my pick up. Until then, I was a hunter. If an animal ran out in front of me, I never gave it a 2nd thought.


P.S. I'm going to stop bragging about getting rid of the roaches. Yesterday I posted about how they were gone. Well, last night I got up to get a drink of water and killed one.
 

mikehouse

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2015
Threads
51
Messages
243
I saw a video some years back and tried it,it worked.boil some eggs then let them cool.remove the yolks add sugar and boric acid.Mash it it until it's like putty.Roll it into balls.Egg yolks to feed sugar the attractant,boric acid will swell and kill.It will also attach to them to take back to the nesting site.I put the balls on foil because of the stickyness from the sugar.
 

Davis Mc

Forum Newbie
Joined
Nov 15, 2022
Threads
0
Messages
1
German roaches are a real threat in your home. These pesky insects breed very fast and next thing you know they are all over the place. It is better to hire professional exterminators to get this disgusting creatures out of your house. DIY solutions are also there, but trust me when I say these cockroaches don't just go away easily.
 

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Joined
Nov 29, 2014
Threads
64
Messages
24,700
German roaches are a real threat in your home. These pesky insects breed very fast and next thing you know they are all over the place. It is better to hire professional exterminators to get this disgusting creatures out of your house. DIY solutions are also there, but trust me when I say these cockroaches don't just go away easily.
Really?
Cockroaches are one of the cleanest insects on the planet and they regularly clean themselves
The usual method of killing them involves using a surface spray or dust which gets on their feet so they injest it when they preen themselves
The other method is fogging which basically creates a toxic fog about 1' above the floor which either suffocates them ot gasses them, depending upon the chemicals used
Most fogs are toxic to all of the insects and to small animals. reptiles amphibions & even people or pets
Just because they look ugly does not mean they are harmful
Usually it is a sign that you have other problems as their prime food is rotting timber although they will also go for rotting vegetable matter if they are hungry enough .
 

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Threads
76
Messages
10,212
Believe me you don't have to have rotting items to have them. We had a brand new office building that got invaded by them through an used hot water heater. It took calling in a pest exterminator to get rid of them.
 

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Threads
390
Messages
2,991
Really?
Cockroaches are one of the cleanest insects on the planet and they regularly clean themselves
The usual method of killing them involves using a surface spray or dust which gets on their feet so they injest it when they preen themselves
The other method is fogging which basically creates a toxic fog about 1' above the floor which either suffocates them ot gasses them, depending upon the chemicals used
Most fogs are toxic to all of the insects and to small animals. reptiles amphibions & even people or pets
Just because they look ugly does not mean they are harmful
Usually it is a sign that you have other problems as their prime food is rotting timber although they will also go for rotting vegetable matter if they are hungry enough .

I've yet to see a roach clean up it's own poop.
 

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Threads
390
Messages
2,991
German roaches are a real threat in your home. These pesky insects breed very fast and next thing you know they are all over the place. It is better to hire professional exterminators to get this disgusting creatures out of your house. DIY solutions are also there, but trust me when I say these cockroaches don't just go away easily.

That's what I did. Had the professional guy come in and knock them on their butts. Then I used boric acid in places that don't get touched. Like between the baseboards, in the very back of the bottom cabinets. Behind the stoves. etc etc etc.

I haven't seen live roach in about a year now. But still find dead spiders and other outside bugs from time to time.
 

Joed756

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2013
Threads
2
Messages
162
Remove all of your outlet and light switch covers, put boric acid inside the walls as much as possible. Good Luck. Before moving into my house I had to do this. The day after treating the walls I found hundreds of dead roaches in the pool.
Hot Shot MaxAttrax Roach Killing Powder with Boric Acid HG-96023


Hot Shot MaxAttrax Roach Killing Powder with Boric Acid HG-96023
 

slomo

Lawn Addict
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Threads
76
Messages
4,696
40 mule team soap is boric acid and plain white sugar. Knock all bugs up side down. Simple 50/50 mix sprinkled around the foundation of your house. Don't forget the garage too for those pesky crickets. Cheap, simple and found at most grocery stores.
 
Top