German Roaches

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just wait for the Asian and Boxelder beetle invasion. I get hit by these every year in my shop. Just major pests with them flying everywhere. I usually see the Asian right the soybeans are harvested and the when Boxelders beetle when the trees lose their leaves.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
The hidden problems of monoculture agriculture
IT provides a host which allows a particular insect to reproduce to plague numbers but does nothing to host their natural preditors to keep the numbers in check.
We lost thousands of acres of forrest just because we cleared the trees that the sugar gliders feed on in summer
In winter they eat beetles that then went on to kill all of the trees.\
The farm opposite the workshop is no longer grazed and has been leased to hay growers.
So now I get a mouse invasion when the grass is cut, every times the windrows are turned then even more when the bailing happens
And they can do up to 6 crops in a good season

mcostello

Threads
Hey JT, I'll send You some, just don't let Them loose.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ever so often I used to get invaded by some sort of caterpillar. By the millions. They were so thick on the tree's, there was places on the tree that you couldn't even see.

They killed a couple of small tree's one year. The next time they came, I spread dawn dish soap and water all over the yard. All the way out to the barn. That kept them at bay.
Seriously they were so thick, that just walking out to the barn, the bottom of your boot looked like a gutty mess of mashed caterpillar's.

Roaches. It's been one a day for over a week now..

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Roaches are gone. All gone. I haven't seen one since I posted on this last. (Sept. 23rd).
As soon as the roaches all died or left, the mice moved in. UGH!!!

Funny story. The shop across the street has a cat problem. My neighbor says to start feeding them, pick out one and let it do all my moussing. Sounds like a good idea. Except for every time I put some scraps out for the cats, and try calling them "Here kitty kitty kitty." The neighbors dog runs over and eats the scraps.
I'm starting to think the dog is bilingual and speaks cat. LMAO.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem is the neighbor's dog is named Kitty. :p

Go to TSC and get a package of 4 ea 1lb Tomcat rodent bars. Put one outdoors under the porch or structure. They weather proof. This will help keep the mice outdoors when they die or you will need a gas mask.

This way you will not develop a cat problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a shed cat, as the office is above the garage so to get to the house area they have to go through the shed.
You might need 2 cats if the workshop is on the same level as the house
Get a pair of unwanted kittens from one of those do-godder groups de-sexed females if possible
put them in a big dog cage ( you can rent them ) , one in the shed & one in the house .
Put some old unwashed cloths in the bottom of the cage and regularly pet the cats so that they bond with you .
After a week or so open the door and let them out but keep on feeding them in the cage
Then dump the cages all together .
Reduce to "play time " so they get bored .
Start to feed them only in the morning so at night they are bored & hungry.
Cats will eat spiders, worms, mice, lizards beetles , cockroaches and most anything that moves.
So the trick is to lock them inside from dusk to dawn so they will clean up the shed & house then give them a big feed of dry cat food in the morning when you let them out ,
That way they will be full during the period that most of the wanted wild life is active and do the least amount of damage.
This is how your ancestors managed cats befoer the pet industry developed to use them to fleece the owners & bleed them dry .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The problem is the neighbor's dog is named Kitty. :p

Go to TSC and get a package of 4 ea 1lb Tomcat rodent bars. Put one outdoors under the porch or structure. They weather proof. This will help keep the mice outdoors when they die or you will need a gas mask.

This way you will not develop a cat problem.

I didn't really want to poison the mice. I seriously thought it was some sort of trap. My fault for not reading it better. I my defense, I didn't have my glasses.
From what I've heard, a cat can eat a poison mouse and either get really really sick or die. I like cats. So I don't want to kill them. Just the mice.
In fact, I don't like killing anything (except roaches, mosquito's etc etc etc).