Export thread

German Roaches

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

So the new house I'm moving into, well was. At the moment almost everything is in the garage waiting to get rid of the roaches. I looked at the house about 1 week before I started moving in. And didn't see one roach. Not a one. The day I hauled my first load, they were everywhere. Some house roaches. But mostly German. The exterminator, along with some stuff I sprayed and put out, made quick work of the house roaches. And seem to slow the German ones down quite a bit. But they're still there.
I put out foggers in every room, and sprayed the baseboards, cabinets and every nook and cranny with some liquid spray I got at Walmart. Then left for about 3 days. Came back and their population was greatly reduced. Now I'm only seeing the babies. But many many babies.
So I put down boric acid in all the cracks and crevasses, under the and behind the stove and frig. And cabinets. And all around the boxes in the garage. That was two days ago. I'm going to take my last load to the house in a couple of days.
And hoping to find the house roach free.
But I've heard German roaches can go weeks with out food or water. In fact, they can invade and infest a house that's spotless. Eating only each other.
I love this house. But won't live with roaches. Anyone battled German roaches and won?

M

MParr

Yes! Combat roach bait stations. Put them under your sinks and laboratories. Put them under your appliances. Put them in your closets and cabinets.
Do not leave any water in the sinks or tub.
If you wash dishes by hand, dry them and put them away immediately.
Check for water leaks and repair.
They love to live in your water heater’s insulation.
Have the exterminator spray chlorpyrifos around the outside of your house. A 2’ wide band by 2’ up the exterior walls. The exterminator will likely use paste or bait stations inside.

B

bertsmobile1

Spiders are your best friend when you stop poisoning them
Fogging works best
They need moisture in plague proportions they might indicate major wet rot so check all of the plumbing carefully .
Eggs can sit for a long time before they hatch
Get a few tubes of sealant and cork up every crack
You can not get rid of cockroaces 100%
The females can fly during mating season so you can get them in 10th floor apartments
People think there are no roaches because they don't see them
While at high school I used to work in the bread room of a major bakery
First job every morning was to sweep up the dead roaches , usually 3 or 4 x 44 gallon drums full of them .
Last job of the day was to fog the entire bakery from the 3rd floor to the basement , around 10-15 gallons of liquid insecticide

First job when leaving high school ( actually 4 weeks before the last exam ) was at a wine botteling factory.
Same story there fogged every evening and swept every morning .

At home & in the workshop I used tubes of the expanding polly styrine foam that go in a caulking gun.
Every cupboard, every window & door frame every skirting board got the foam.
Both are in bushland ( sort of ) settings and once in no more insecticides other than moth balls get used inside.
There are about 1/2 dozen huntsman spiders lurking around so there must be some roaches but I don't see them.
We have hens running loose at home & they take care of most of the roaches outside

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Fire.

4getgto

4getgto

Bert.... You're not making your bread over there sound to yummy if you're sweeping up 3/4 44gallon barrels of roaches everyday...? not to mention saturating everything down with insecticide every nite.
My god that's a lot of bugs...?
Must be like eating raisin bread..?

StarTech

StarTech

To get rid of Roaches use Boric Acid mixed with margarine place on aluminum foil inside your cabinets. The foil is to keep the margarine from straining things. The roaches eat this, go off and die at the colony. Then they just kill more at the colonies as roach are cannibals and eat their own dead.

Massive infestations do take take pest control guys but as a maintenance level the Boric Acid works great. I use to have an aunt that bring them in everytime she visited and this how I keep them out our home. It wasn't intentional she did it but was because her house was that nasty with them. My current place is piled up and dusty but least I don't have rotten food and cooking grease everywhere.

And if you live in a city roaches are everywhere. It can be a war zone at times. I live in the country so in the last 6 yrs I seen one roach at my place and it didn't make it. Smack. But even in country there at homes covered up with these little beasts.

And Bert give the Boric Acid a go it should be of help but as I said it needs to be in the dark places so they can eat it. Besides you want to keep it out the reach of the young human rug rats. It sorta like letting the enemy kill themselves. And I have roaches as bad as you describe at one company I worked. One of the office donated a hot water heater and it was the source of them. It was a major war that we nearly lost.

But I got to admit it is a constant war keeping pests at bay. Here right my battles are with mice again but I am sure up my defenses. I put out my candy bars [one pound poison bars] for them. Everytime I go TSC and ask for some pet mice food they get a laugh as they say don't sell pet mice food and oh I then say I mean Decon [or in their case Tomcat].

B

bertsmobile1

Yes ,mum used to use borax.
It does not need to be mixed with anything.
Cockroaches are a very clean insect they just look ugly
Borax powder sprinkled on surfaces gets on their feet & when they preen themselves they injest it .
Works on some ants as well .
I don't have a roach problem
I work with nature not against it
The huntsmen will knock over the few that get in the house
Hundreds outside which is where they are supposed to be. in the cracks in tree bark, under fallen timber, under large pieces of bark mulch.
They really do not want to be in the house if there is a better place to reside outside and plenty of preditators .
The problems arise when we take one ( or one group out of the cycle ) like for example running birds that sift through debris looking for roaches, small snakes and big lizards take a toll on them as well.
It is all about knowing who eats what and what to encourage in the yard
Why work when nature will do it for you.
In food factories it is a different matter but not on an urban or suburban block.
Pest exterminators have a place but usually they are the problem .
If they come in and knock over all of te spiders for instance then the roach numbers increase so you call them again

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I'm a firm believer in Boric acid. I had some neighbors once that were infested. When they moved out, the roaches came to my house. By the thousands, it seemed.
So I bought a bunch of Boric acid, covered the entire kitchen. Seriously covered it. It looked like it showed in my kitchen. counters, cabinets, drawers, floor... you couldn't hardly see the surface. I went to a friends house for a few days. When I came back, they were gone. All of them.

These German roaches, from what I'm reading, are a lot tougher than normal house roaches.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yes! Combat roach bait stations. Put them under your sinks and laboratories. Put them under your appliances. Put them in your closets and cabinets.
Do not leave any water in the sinks or tub.
If you wash dishes by hand, dry them and put them away immediately.
Check for water leaks and repair.
They love to live in your water heater’s insulation.
Have the exterminator spray chlorpyrifos around the outside of your house. A 2’ wide band by 2’ up the exterior walls. The exterminator will likely use paste or bait stations inside.

He used a few different things. Bait from a big syringe that put out some sort of paste. Something in an aerosol can. And something that was in a pump up bug sprayer. He said one would keep them from reproducing. I'm guessing the babies that I seen the other day, were already eggs when he sprayed. And they hatched afterwards.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

To get rid of Roaches use Boric Acid mixed with margarine place on aluminum foil inside your cabinets. The foil is to keep the margarine from straining things. The roaches eat this, go off and die at the colony. Then they just kill more at the colonies as roach are cannibals and eat their own dead.

Massive infestations do take take pest control guys but as a maintenance level the Boric Acid works great. I use to have an aunt that bring them in everytime she visited and this how I keep them out our home. It wasn't intentional she did it but was because her house was that nasty with them. My current place is piled up and dusty but least I don't have rotten food and cooking grease everywhere.

And if you live in a city roaches are everywhere. It can be a war zone at times. I live in the country so in the last 6 yrs I seen one roach at my place and it didn't make it. Smack. But even in country there at homes covered up with these little beasts.

And Bert give the Boric Acid a go it should be of help but as I said it needs to be in the dark places so they can eat it. Besides you want to keep it out the reach of the young human rug rats. It sorta like letting the enemy kill themselves. And I have roaches as bad as you describe at one company I worked. One of the office donated a hot water heater and it was the source of them. It was a major war that we nearly lost.

But I got to admit it is a constant war keeping pests at bay. Here right my battles are with mice again but I am sure up my defenses. I put out my candy bars [one pound poison bars] for them. Everytime I go TSC and ask for some pet mice food they get a laugh as they say don't sell pet mice food and oh I then say I mean Decon [or in their case Tomcat].

Margarine mixed with Boric acid. I'll have to try that.

Getting rid of mice, I used young cats. If you don't want to keep the cats, just borrow a couple from a friend. lol If you have neighbors with pet cats, poisoning a mouse, that the neighbors cat decides to have for lunch, will also kill the cat. I'm almost positive that's what happened to one of our cats one time.

B

bertsmobile1

These German roaches, from what I'm reading, are a lot tougher than normal house roaches.
nn
No they are just bigger so harder to squash
Roaches mostly feed on decaying wood but if they are hungry will eat grain based food
Loose cats are often the cause of a cockroach infestation as they eat or just kill all of the things that would normally eat the roaches.
My shed cat , was just that locked in the shed all night to control mice then given a big feed in the morning.
However even then it would raid birds nests and after 4 years there are no more blue tounge lizards or skinks around the workshop so last year I had to set about 20 slug & snail traps every week
A big blue tounge ( 12' or better ) can eat close to 1/2 kg of slugs & snails a day

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

No they are just bigger so harder to squash
Roaches mostly feed on decaying wood but if they are hungry will eat grain based food
Loose cats are often the cause of a cockroach infestation as they eat or just kill all of the things that would normally eat the roaches.
My shed cat , was just that locked in the shed all night to control mice then given a big feed in the morning.
However even then it would raid birds nests and after 4 years there are no more blue tounge lizards or skinks around the workshop so last year I had to set about 20 slug & snail traps every week
A big blue tounge ( 12' or better ) can eat close to 1/2 kg of slugs & snails a day

If I could, I'd have a couple of pet opossums. They eat like 4000 fleas and ticks per week. Plus roaches.
I wouldn't mind having mice running around outside or under the house, because they eat roaches too. But they have a habit of coming inside and pooping all over everything.

B

Briantii

Suspend SC + Bait Stations imho if you’re fighting a bad case of them. In my experience they’re pretty easy to kill compared to spiders.

D

Daddio7

Invict Gold with Imidacloprid and Gentrol point source or spray. Avalable from Amazon. Use little dabs of the paste in cracks and out of the way places you have seen roaches. Places where pets and children can not get to it. Put the Gentrol in cabinates and other spaces where roaches have been seen. 100% effective the times I have needed it.

S

slomo

50/50 mix of 20 Mule Team and plain white sugar. Wipes out all bugs. They go for the sugar and get some borax with it. Great for crickets and ant hills. Sprinkle a little around your foundation and in the garage. Over the next few days you will be sweeping up dead critters.

1631386043411.png

1631386076695.png

S

Stokdgs

I have a way different problem - The Russian Cat Lady behind me...
She moved in with 12 adult feral cats and released them into the neighborhood.
Several years later and an average of 20 new kittens a year - just in her yard - , and well, do the math...
These awful animals have absolutely Killed Every lizard, toad, frog, creepy crawling things, for miles in all directions..
Sometimes, they will find a lizard, bite its head off, skin it, and eat it on my front porch concrete, leaving me the bloody, stained, concrete to deal with... I hate cats... Watched them for years now and all I can say they do is find Anything that moves, and go kill it... I have not seen them do anything else...
I have no more birds, no more bird nests in the trees, it has been like Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" for years now..
So now, I have no predators for a Zillion Ants, and sometimes some Cockroaches..
Have tried all kinds of ant baits, none of these things work very well..
Ants out here are "farmer ants" - they literally move zillions of mites, aphids, scales, all the leaf sucking insects into all my planted -Anything- including Maple Trees, and they then harvest all the poop from these leaf sucking insects for their whatever they put in their sandwiches with...
Some ants got wise to me killing their "cows" so now they just go up into my trees and suck the fluids out of all the newest leaves, flower buds, etc., themselves, since I removed their cows with Bayer insecticide control sprays...
It is a never ending battle... All because of the Russian Cat Lady.. Sometimes, I see gangs of cats crossing the freeway early in the morning, coming from all the acres of farmland around me, going back to the Russian Cat Lady's house behind me... Yes, I followed them, and that is where they went, and go, every day...
She keeps her back sliding door open 24/7 so they can come and go as they please...
I feel sorry for the man that owns that house and rented it to her...
I have found a really good place that sells those "professional" sprays, etc., that the people like terminix, etc., use to jack all the homeowners $$$ when they come in their little white trucks..
The website is domyown.com. If you're going to spray, at least use something that really works and lasts, and should cost less if you do it and not pay some guy $$ a year to do the same thing..
I have been using a product called - Suspend - to try to get a handle on the zillion aphids, etc., that the ant farmers place way up there in some of my shrubs, etc,..
It is totally odorless and kills on contact but also leaves a microscopic layer everywhere that the ants will walk on, get on their bodies, take back to the nest, and spread it around and kill more ants this way...
Tried all their ant baits, some worked temporarily, but take days, weeks, if the ants decide they really want to take the bait... Ants are way smarter and sometimes only want sugar and other time they want protein... Hard to read their minds,, you think?? :)
So now, I am just literally "Suspend"/ing them from a lot of my growing things...
Once I had a small invasions of these smaller roaches coming into my garage at night or very early morning..
I sprayed Suspend in a wide swath outside the garage door, and inside the garage on the floor, and several days after, I found lots of dead roaches in the garage..
Eventually, they all stopped coming in...
These products = the same the pro's use... Just do it yourself if you want..
I would much rather have it back to the Natural way = predators for everything = keeping Nature's friends in Balance... But I cannot have it because of the army of feral cats who again, kill Everything that moves, in my yard, in everyone's yards, for miles around... Cats breed 5 kittens each time... I hate to do the math, it is so depressing..
Once, the totally irresponsible Russian Cat Lady came to my front door to complain that everytime I threw something at the back fence, it scared the 15-20 little new crop of cat predator killers in her yard...
I told her what she alone was doing so irresponsibly to the entire neighborhood of thousands of houses out here and she just did not understand... Guess she was bad at math in school or something...
Have called Animal Control, they have no power over all the Laws written that protect cats, no doubt written by many, Russian Cat Ladies, etc., people who hoard them or whatever...
Dogs, might work but the cats run along the top 2x4 fence boards and never drop down into the yard if they see the dog sees them... Cats can easily jump over a 6 foot high fence without touching it... Probably even higher if they are scared or threatened.. Dogs= not that good.. :)
Borax = comes from Boron, California, close to the Palm Desert, way down there... Really hot weather...

R

rustycat

You need to tent the house so Joe Dirt can sleep in it over night.

B

bertsmobile1

If it has got to that state a few naughties that can be done
I drop catnip seeds in places where if the plant grows & the cats eat the grass they are likely to come to harm like the median strip on the road
Get a pair of staffidshire terriers , they are gentle dogs by nature but have poor eyesight thus will pounce on anything that moves.
Convince the surrounding neighbours to do the same.
The trick with Staffies is to always call them and wait for them to come to you, never approach them .
Once ring fenced the problem will slow down.
Complain to the health department about the foul smells and dead animals fouling your yard.
The health depart can do a lot more than the local municipal council can.
The woman has a serious mental problem .'
Complain to animal protection and RSPCA because very large cat populations are very bad for the cats ( I hate cats as well but do have one )
I don't know how the local laws work in your area but an old workmate had a similar problem
He did 2 things
1) got a lot of cat traps and disposed of them by suffocating them using his car exhaust, this ie a very humane way because the CO content makes then feel calm & contented while the CO2 kills them.
I use this to remove Indian Mynars ( totally illegal but that won't stop me )
The other thing he did was run 3 lines of fishing line right around his fence line this makes it very hard for the cats to land on the fence.
Latter on he put a second fence about 1' inside the boundary fence with alternate electric wire & plain wire
Apparently it worked a treat and the offending mad catter moved .
They managed to get a resolution pushed through the local council limiting the number of cat or dogs allowed to be kept in a residential block to 6 unless the resident is a registered pet breeder $$$$$$ which then allows for the local council to inspect regularly

J

Joed756

Remove all of the cover plates from your outlets and light switches. Using squeeze bottle(s) of roach killer, spray into the walls and outlet boxes. Works like a charm.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Update: I supposed I should've stayed gone a few more days. When I walked in with my last load furniture, there was a lot of dead roaches lying around. Mostly the tiny babies. And a few bigger ones. I've killed about 10 to 15 in the last 24 hours. Only one house roach. The rest were German.
I've left most of the boric acid along the baseboard. Except close to the a/c intake. Boric acid seems to be very effective. So i'll give it another week.
I'm out of room in my garage for anything, and had to start bringing things in. Which is going to make it tougher to clean. But none the less. I'm here for long term. And can battle these little F'ers til I win.
I'm going to use some of the things you folks have mentioned this next week.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I have a way different problem - The Russian Cat Lady behind me...
She moved in with 12 adult feral cats and released them into the neighborhood.
Several years later and an average of 20 new kittens a year - just in her yard - , and well, do the math...
These awful animals have absolutely Killed Every lizard, toad, frog, creepy crawling things, for miles in all directions..
Sometimes, they will find a lizard, bite its head off, skin it, and eat it on my front porch concrete, leaving me the bloody, stained, concrete to deal with... I hate cats... Watched them for years now and all I can say they do is find Anything that moves, and go kill it... I have not seen them do anything else...
I have no more birds, no more bird nests in the trees, it has been like Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" for years now..
So now, I have no predators for a Zillion Ants, and sometimes some Cockroaches..
Have tried all kinds of ant baits, none of these things work very well..
Ants out here are "farmer ants" - they literally move zillions of mites, aphids, scales, all the leaf sucking insects into all my planted -Anything- including Maple Trees, and they then harvest all the poop from these leaf sucking insects for their whatever they put in their sandwiches with...
Some ants got wise to me killing their "cows" so now they just go up into my trees and suck the fluids out of all the newest leaves, flower buds, etc., themselves, since I removed their cows with Bayer insecticide control sprays...
It is a never ending battle... All because of the Russian Cat Lady.. Sometimes, I see gangs of cats crossing the freeway early in the morning, coming from all the acres of farmland around me, going back to the Russian Cat Lady's house behind me... Yes, I followed them, and that is where they went, and go, every day...
She keeps her back sliding door open 24/7 so they can come and go as they please...
I feel sorry for the man that owns that house and rented it to her...
I have found a really good place that sells those "professional" sprays, etc., that the people like terminix, etc., use to jack all the homeowners $$$ when they come in their little white trucks..
The website is domyown.com. If you're going to spray, at least use something that really works and lasts, and should cost less if you do it and not pay some guy $$ a year to do the same thing..
I have been using a product called - Suspend - to try to get a handle on the zillion aphids, etc., that the ant farmers place way up there in some of my shrubs, etc,..
It is totally odorless and kills on contact but also leaves a microscopic layer everywhere that the ants will walk on, get on their bodies, take back to the nest, and spread it around and kill more ants this way...
Tried all their ant baits, some worked temporarily, but take days, weeks, if the ants decide they really want to take the bait... Ants are way smarter and sometimes only want sugar and other time they want protein... Hard to read their minds,, you think?? :)
So now, I am just literally "Suspend"/ing them from a lot of my growing things...
Once I had a small invasions of these smaller roaches coming into my garage at night or very early morning..
I sprayed Suspend in a wide swath outside the garage door, and inside the garage on the floor, and several days after, I found lots of dead roaches in the garage..
Eventually, they all stopped coming in...
These products = the same the pro's use... Just do it yourself if you want..
I would much rather have it back to the Natural way = predators for everything = keeping Nature's friends in Balance... But I cannot have it because of the army of feral cats who again, kill Everything that moves, in my yard, in everyone's yards, for miles around... Cats breed 5 kittens each time... I hate to do the math, it is so depressing..
Once, the totally irresponsible Russian Cat Lady came to my front door to complain that everytime I threw something at the back fence, it scared the 15-20 little new crop of cat predator killers in her yard...
I told her what she alone was doing so irresponsibly to the entire neighborhood of thousands of houses out here and she just did not understand... Guess she was bad at math in school or something...
Have called Animal Control, they have no power over all the Laws written that protect cats, no doubt written by many, Russian Cat Ladies, etc., people who hoard them or whatever...
Dogs, might work but the cats run along the top 2x4 fence boards and never drop down into the yard if they see the dog sees them... Cats can easily jump over a 6 foot high fence without touching it... Probably even higher if they are scared or threatened.. Dogs= not that good.. :)
Borax = comes from Boron, California, close to the Palm Desert, way down there... Really hot weather...

Aphids are an easy fix. Dawn dish soap & water in a pump up bug sprayer. Spray what ever you want, as much as you want with it. It'll kill the aphids.

B

bertsmobile1

Aphids are an easy fix. Dawn dish soap & water in a pump up bug sprayer. Spray what ever you want, as much as you want with it. It'll kill the aphids.
Easier than that
Just plain old water from the tap under pressure.
A pressure washer with a fan outlet is even better
Once they are attached & feeding, if you mechanically remove them you damage their feeding tube & they can no longer eat, thus starve .
Add to that you are watering the tree while you are removing the aphids.
Soapy water is good wih the caveat that it can & does strip the waxy protection off the leaves which then allows other pests to attack the plant and in particular moulds funguses & bacterias

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I got at 3am to pee, and didn't see a live or dead one. Looking in the kitchen, hall way, the other rooms. And seen nothing. Was bragging to myself as I laid back down. Patting myself on the back, fell back to sleep with a smile on my face.

Woke up and killed 2. Dang it. But, that's all I seen for the rest of the day. I lined my kitchen drawers and cabinets today. Started putting dishes and silverware in their rightful places.

Hopefully this battle is about over.

I'm keeping the boric acid on all the floor trim. for at least another week. There's not one place (that I can see) where they can crawl into any room without getting boric acid on them.

B

bertsmobile1

1) they can fly when ready to mate
2) Thy can walk on vertical surfaces so come in from gaps between the archatrave & the wall
Hence the suggestion of caulking every crack you can see with a soft non hardening filler .
They can land on the window stills then enter via cracks around the window frame

J

Joed756

1) they can fly when ready to mate
2) Thy can walk on vertical surfaces so come in from gaps between the archatrave & the wall
Hence the suggestion of caulking every crack you can see with a soft non hardening filler .
They can land on the window stills then enter via cracks around the window frame
archatrave must be an Aussie word?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I killed a couple of adult German and two adult house roaches yesterday. This morning, I've not seen a one. Didn't see any last night.

B

bertsmobile1

archatrave must be an Aussie word?
The timber surround of a door frame usually done in a moulding to match the skirting boards

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I didn't see or kill one roach today. Hopefully this is a pattern.

mcostello

mcostello

How about stink bugs?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

How about stink bugs?

I can't say i've seen any of those.

StarTech

StarTech

Just wait for the Asian and Boxelder beetle invasion. I get hit by these every year in my shop. Just major pests with them flying everywhere. I usually see the Asian right the soybeans are harvested and the when Boxelders beetle when the trees lose their leaves.

B

bertsmobile1

Yes,
The hidden problems of monoculture agriculture
IT provides a host which allows a particular insect to reproduce to plague numbers but does nothing to host their natural preditors to keep the numbers in check.
We lost thousands of acres of forrest just because we cleared the trees that the sugar gliders feed on in summer
In winter they eat beetles that then went on to kill all of the trees.\
The farm opposite the workshop is no longer grazed and has been leased to hay growers.
So now I get a mouse invasion when the grass is cut, every times the windrows are turned then even more when the bailing happens
And they can do up to 6 crops in a good season

mcostello

mcostello

Hey JT, I'll send You some, just don't let Them loose.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Ever so often I used to get invaded by some sort of caterpillar. By the millions. They were so thick on the tree's, there was places on the tree that you couldn't even see.

They killed a couple of small tree's one year. The next time they came, I spread dawn dish soap and water all over the yard. All the way out to the barn. That kept them at bay.
Seriously they were so thick, that just walking out to the barn, the bottom of your boot looked like a gutty mess of mashed caterpillar's.

Roaches. It's been one a day for over a week now..

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Roaches are gone. All gone. I haven't seen one since I posted on this last. (Sept. 23rd).
As soon as the roaches all died or left, the mice moved in. UGH!!!

Funny story. The shop across the street has a cat problem. My neighbor says to start feeding them, pick out one and let it do all my moussing. Sounds like a good idea. Except for every time I put some scraps out for the cats, and try calling them "Here kitty kitty kitty." The neighbors dog runs over and eats the scraps.
I'm starting to think the dog is bilingual and speaks cat. LMAO.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

so did you set off a Nuclear Bomb?

StarTech

StarTech

The problem is the neighbor's dog is named Kitty. :p

Go to TSC and get a package of 4 ea 1lb Tomcat rodent bars. Put one outdoors under the porch or structure. They weather proof. This will help keep the mice outdoors when they die or you will need a gas mask.

This way you will not develop a cat problem.

B

bertsmobile1

I have a shed cat, as the office is above the garage so to get to the house area they have to go through the shed.
You might need 2 cats if the workshop is on the same level as the house
Get a pair of unwanted kittens from one of those do-godder groups de-sexed females if possible
put them in a big dog cage ( you can rent them ) , one in the shed & one in the house .
Put some old unwashed cloths in the bottom of the cage and regularly pet the cats so that they bond with you .
After a week or so open the door and let them out but keep on feeding them in the cage
Then dump the cages all together .
Reduce to "play time " so they get bored .
Start to feed them only in the morning so at night they are bored & hungry.
Cats will eat spiders, worms, mice, lizards beetles , cockroaches and most anything that moves.
So the trick is to lock them inside from dusk to dawn so they will clean up the shed & house then give them a big feed of dry cat food in the morning when you let them out ,
That way they will be full during the period that most of the wanted wild life is active and do the least amount of damage.
This is how your ancestors managed cats befoer the pet industry developed to use them to fleece the owners & bleed them dry .

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

The problem is the neighbor's dog is named Kitty. :p

Go to TSC and get a package of 4 ea 1lb Tomcat rodent bars. Put one outdoors under the porch or structure. They weather proof. This will help keep the mice outdoors when they die or you will need a gas mask.

This way you will not develop a cat problem.

I didn't really want to poison the mice. I seriously thought it was some sort of trap. My fault for not reading it better. I my defense, I didn't have my glasses.
From what I've heard, a cat can eat a poison mouse and either get really really sick or die. I like cats. So I don't want to kill them. Just the mice.
In fact, I don't like killing anything (except roaches, mosquito's etc etc etc).

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

use a bait box... anything solidly constructed, with a hole just big enough for a rodent to get in.

StarTech

StarTech

I don't like having to kill anything but sometimes it is necessary.

Poisons are a lot less deader than they once were. Usually it takes nearly a week of constant eating the poison before the mice die which is usually in their dens. Cats don't normally dig up mice either. They are ambush hunters. Besides most cats are fed so well by their owns that they just watch the mice play around and never even try to catch them.

It is our owls and snakes that are at a greater risk of being poisoned. This because mice and rats are most active at night so owls eat a lot of them, but humans kill owls at night too. Snakes actually goes into the dens and again humans kills snakes out of fear. I got several here on the farm that comes and goes from my storage buildings and I see a mouse rarely in those buildings. Just got be careful and know to quickly id them. Now I do kill the poisonous ones as it is too dangerous for me working on equipment for them being around.

But consider while you are wearying about a slim chance of cat getting sick and /or dying the mice at having a field day with your household wiring and of your equipment wiring. More homes are burned down because of mice chewing on wiring. Mice are peeing [urine trails] all over everything in your home too. This is how they find their way around. Inside your cabinets they leave this urine all over your cookware and dishes. You really need to be washing these everytime before you use them.

Besides cats are the number one killer of songbirds with vehicles running a close second. So cats and humans are the main reason we are losing our song birds.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I don't like having to kill anything but sometimes it is necessary.

Poisons are a lot less deader than they once were. Usually it takes nearly a week of constant eating the poison before the mice die which is usually in their dens. Cats don't normally dig up mice either. They are ambush hunters. Besides most cats are fed so well by their owns that they just watch the mice play around and never even try to catch them.

It is our owls and snakes that are at a greater risk of being poisoned. This because mice and rats are most active at night so owls eat a lot of them, but humans kill owls at night too. Snakes actually goes into the dens and again humans kills snakes out of fear. I got several here on the farm that comes and goes from my storage buildings and I see a mouse rarely in those buildings. Just got be careful and know to quickly id them. Now I do kill the poisonous ones as it is too dangerous for me working on equipment for them being around.

But consider while you are wearying about a slim chance of cat getting sick and /or dying the mice at having a field day with your household wiring and of your equipment wiring. More homes are burned down because of mice chewing on wiring. Mice are peeing [urine trails] all over everything in your home too. This is how they find their way around. Inside your cabinets they leave this urine all over your cookware and dishes. You really need to be washing these everytime before you use them.

Besides cats are the number one killer of songbirds with vehicles running a close second. So cats and humans are the main reason we are losing our song birds.
The ones across the street, at that shop, aren't fed. In fact, they've been trying to get rid of them.
Funny thing about that, at night, I could look over there and see several running around. Here lately, (in the last few days), I haven't seen a one. My landlord said they were trying to get rid of the cats that had come around their place. And that she "Didn't want to poison them like the guys at the shop." Which makes me cringe. I've seen a poisoned animal before when I was young. And ever since mom died (1998), I've not been able to harm animals, if I could help it. I seriously get all choked up when I accidentally hit one with my pick up. Until then, I was a hunter. If an animal ran out in front of me, I never gave it a 2nd thought.

P.S. I'm going to stop bragging about getting rid of the roaches. Yesterday I posted about how they were gone. Well, last night I got up to get a drink of water and killed one.

mikehouse

mikehouse

I saw a video some years back and tried it,it worked.boil some eggs then let them cool.remove the yolks add sugar and boric acid.Mash it it until it's like putty.Roll it into balls.Egg yolks to feed sugar the attractant,boric acid will swell and kill.It will also attach to them to take back to the nesting site.I put the balls on foil because of the stickyness from the sugar.

D

Davis Mc

German roaches are a real threat in your home. These pesky insects breed very fast and next thing you know they are all over the place. It is better to hire professional exterminators to get this disgusting creatures out of your house. DIY solutions are also there, but trust me when I say these cockroaches don't just go away easily.

B

bertsmobile1

German roaches are a real threat in your home. These pesky insects breed very fast and next thing you know they are all over the place. It is better to hire professional exterminators to get this disgusting creatures out of your house. DIY solutions are also there, but trust me when I say these cockroaches don't just go away easily.
Really?
Cockroaches are one of the cleanest insects on the planet and they regularly clean themselves
The usual method of killing them involves using a surface spray or dust which gets on their feet so they injest it when they preen themselves
The other method is fogging which basically creates a toxic fog about 1' above the floor which either suffocates them ot gasses them, depending upon the chemicals used
Most fogs are toxic to all of the insects and to small animals. reptiles amphibions & even people or pets
Just because they look ugly does not mean they are harmful
Usually it is a sign that you have other problems as their prime food is rotting timber although they will also go for rotting vegetable matter if they are hungry enough .

StarTech

StarTech

Believe me you don't have to have rotting items to have them. We had a brand new office building that got invaded by them through an used hot water heater. It took calling in a pest exterminator to get rid of them.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Really?
Cockroaches are one of the cleanest insects on the planet and they regularly clean themselves
The usual method of killing them involves using a surface spray or dust which gets on their feet so they injest it when they preen themselves
The other method is fogging which basically creates a toxic fog about 1' above the floor which either suffocates them ot gasses them, depending upon the chemicals used
Most fogs are toxic to all of the insects and to small animals. reptiles amphibions & even people or pets
Just because they look ugly does not mean they are harmful
Usually it is a sign that you have other problems as their prime food is rotting timber although they will also go for rotting vegetable matter if they are hungry enough .

I've yet to see a roach clean up it's own poop.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

That's what I did. Had the professional guy come in and knock them on their butts. Then I used boric acid in places that don't get touched. Like between the baseboards, in the very back of the bottom cabinets. Behind the stoves. etc etc etc.

I haven't seen live roach in about a year now. But still find dead spiders and other outside bugs from time to time.

J

Joed756

Remove all of your outlet and light switch covers, put boric acid inside the walls as much as possible. Good Luck. Before moving into my house I had to do this. The day after treating the walls I found hundreds of dead roaches in the pool.
Hot Shot MaxAttrax Roach Killing Powder with Boric Acid HG-96023

Hot Shot MaxAttrax Roach Killing Powder with Boric Acid HG-96023

S

slomo

40 mule team soap is boric acid and plain white sugar. Knock all bugs up side down. Simple 50/50 mix sprinkled around the foundation of your house. Don't forget the garage too for those pesky crickets. Cheap, simple and found at most grocery stores.