GCV160 engine boggs down when...

nbpt100

Threads
When I engage the blade clutch on a GCV160 the engine will bogg down to the point where it will sometimes stall. It usually does not but it almost always does seem close to doing so. What adjustment are needed to make this smoother? I have cleaned the carb and am using fresh gas. Air filter is clean. wondering if governor is not responding quick enough. Does the spring on the throttle butter fly control this somewhat? That spring seems tired. Idle speed with blade off is about 3500 rpm. With the blade on it is about 2900 RPM.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd set the fast speed mixture if it has one.

nbpt100

Threads
That would be a good idea but it does not have one. I am considering to open the main jet .001. Not sure what else I can do.

Sparkland

Threads
Mine will only do that when it is first started for the day. After it warms up it is fine.

Briantii

Threads
Have you checked the auto choke? Some bogging when cold is somewhat normal. Once warmed up the choke should open automatically and it shouldn’t happen.

nbpt100

Threads
Have you checked the auto choke? Some bogging when cold is somewhat normal. Once warmed up the choke should open automatically and it shouldn’t happen.
This has a manual choke. But a good thought.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I engage the blade clutch on a GCV160 the engine will bogg down to the point where it will sometimes stall. It usually does not but it almost always does seem close to doing so. What adjustment are needed to make this smoother? I have cleaned the carb and am using fresh gas. Air filter is clean. wondering if governor is not responding quick enough. Does the spring on the throttle butter fly control this somewhat? That spring seems tired. Idle speed with blade off is about 3500 rpm. With the blade on it is about 2900 RPM.

Did this start before you cleaned the carb?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I currently working on GCV160 here that when cold will start usually on the third pull but when hot will not start at all. Done cleaned the carburetor three times. tired new spark plug, adjusted the valves, tried a new coil. Currently awaiting on an OEM carburetor. If that is not it then will do a leak down leak both cold and hot. I got an idea it is just plain worn out but may have an internal clog in the carburetor that I can't get out.

nbpt100

Threads
Did this start before you cleaned the carb?
IDK. When I got it it would not run. Ceaned carb and it ran good except for what I am describing a excessive bogging down when engaging the blade.

Every one I have seen boggs down a little bit but never to the point of stalling. It is somewhat normal but not when it is this extreme.

I may try to open the carb a tiny amount. That seems like the most practical thing to try.

Could there be something about the governor that may cause it to have a delayed reaction?