GCV160 engine boggs down when...

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
IDK. When I got it it would not run. Ceaned carb and it ran good except for what I am describing a excessive bogging down when engaging the blade.

Every one I have seen boggs down a little bit but never to the point of stalling. It is somewhat normal but not when it is this extreme.

I may try to open the carb a tiny amount. That seems like the most practical thing to try.

Could there be something about the governor that may cause it to have a delayed reaction?

There could be a governor issue. But you're getting decent RPMs
There's no noticeable smoke when it bogs down?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every one I have seen boggs down a little bit but never to the point of stalling.
Agree. Most of those small 160cc engines lack the torque to spin start 2 blades from a stop. Really bad if you have thick Bermuda or Zoysia. Or wet grass as some cut these days. Dull blades and so on..... Trying to cut off too much at once. Mulch mowing.....

This is one of my main gripes about Honda push mowers.

nbpt100

Threads
Agree. Most of those small 160cc engines lack the torque to spin start 2 blades from a stop. Really bad if you have thick Bermuda or Zoysia. Or wet grass as some cut these days. Dull blades and so on..... Trying to cut off too much at once. Mulch mowing.....

This is one of my main gripes about Honda push mowers.
Yes, The 160cc is about 4.5 HP. For a mower of that size and class it should have a bit more power. That is why the newer modles went to the 190 and now 200 cc engines which are around 5.5 to 6 HP. Although, 3.5 hp mowers have cut a million lawns. It will do it,the question is how much time does it take?
In my case the bogging is excessive. I leak tested the engine cold and it was very tight. I suspect it is something else like inadequate fuel supply to the jets.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, The 160cc is about 4.5 HP. For a mower of that size and class it should have a bit more power. That is why the newer modles went to the 190 and now 200 cc engines which are around 5.5 to 6 HP. Although, 3.5 hp mowers have cut a million lawns. It will do it,the question is how much time does it take?
In my case the bogging is excessive. I leak tested the engine cold and it was very tight. I suspect it is something else like inadequate fuel supply to the jets.
I've mowed with some that nearly killed the engine. And around 1987, we had to put what I call a power strap on them. That was a bungee cord connected to the handle bar and the throttle lever directly. As in running it wide open, with the blade on first. On mowed weekly grass, they would costs us time per yard no doubt. Bags wouldn't fill all the way and such. Owner of that lawn crew I was on got rid of them in 2 days.

On this one, I would remove and boil clean the carb. Dump the fuel tank out. Decarbonize the cylinder and valves. Valve adjustment and cooling fin cleaning. Give it the best shot at reviving some hp.

nbpt100

Threads
I've mowed with some that nearly killed the engine. And around 1987, we had to put what I call a power strap on them. That was a bungee cord connected to the handle bar and the throttle lever directly. As in running it wide open, with the blade on first. On mowed weekly grass, they would costs us time per yard no doubt. Bags wouldn't fill all the way and such. Owner of that lawn crew I was on got rid of them in 2 days.

On this one, I would remove and boil clean the carb. Dump the fuel tank out. Decarbonize the cylinder and valves. Valve adjustment and cooling fin cleaning. Give it the best shot at reviving some hp.
It does not smoke at all. Very strong leak down test. It could use a decarb. I see black junk on the piston head. A second carb clean may help some.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It does not smoke at all. Very strong leak down test. It could use a decarb. I see black junk on the piston head. A second carb clean may help some.
That decarbonize trick, if you don't do it, chunks of really hard carbon will break off, get next to the piston and bore and gouge the snot out of it. This of course creates an oil burning engine. Get behind the valves too.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seafoam in gas.
Doesn't decarbon a small engine. If it did I would love to have a case of it. You have to use a steel scraper and a lot of elbow juice to clean some of these carbon machines. Stuff laughs at carb cleaner.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW, just watched videos of new Honda HRX (200cc) and their commercial job HRC. All of them nearly die when the blades are turned on. Seen this for 40 plus years on Honda mowers.

nbpt100

Threads
FWIW, just watched videos of new Honda HRX (200cc) and their commercial job HRC. All of them nearly die when the blades are turned on. Seen this for 40 plus years on Honda mowers.
Thanks for that insight.
Doesn't decarbon a small engine. If it did I would love to have a case of it. You have to use a steel scraper and a lot of elbow juice to clean some of these carbon machines. Stuff laughs at carb cleaner.
According to Project farm and Chris Fix Videos it does help. It will not do it 100% in one tankfull but it does have some impact after one tank. I am reluctant to remove the head as i do not have a new head gasket. I have reused old ones if it comes off clean with out any issues. But with my luck of late I will destroy it taking it off.