FX691V oil consumption

LawnWizard

Threads
You're the one that started your post with "Please forgive me if this is a stupid or redundant post". Sorry that you are now butthurt.
How is being bothered by smart ass answers from "experts" who can't even read the original post being "butthurt"? My butt is just fine, yours?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Come on guys take a step or two back and try to calm down. This is no place to be a PITA in each other backside. Meanwhile I head out to the doctor's to get a finger up mine today. How embarrassing to have a woman doctor to do it. Just it is a man doctor to do it to woman.

Last edited:

txmowman

Threads
Yes it makes more sense. But that is just more difficult done that way. So much easier just the unbolt the rods and push the piston and rod out and back in.
I was just trying to answer the question and look where that went. If I would have posted best practice, someone else would have posted something else. Like LawnWizard wrote…”a simple question”…
Sorry LawnWizard, didn’t mean to offend, like I started off by commenting originally. I don’t know you or your abilities.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a slightly different question which I find a bit concerning
These FX series engines can take a beating and what worries me is why you have gone through 3 of them.
How many hours before it started to use too much oil ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have a slightly different question which I find a bit concerning
These FX series engines can take a beating and what worries me is why you have gone through 3 of them.
How many hours before it started to use too much oil ?
If i remember right, weren't these the ones that had issues with the air filter sealing properly?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nope that is the FR/FS series which is why I asked the question
AnFX should have a Donaldson air filter
I was going for the same thing. OP has gone through several. Dirt getting by the air filter causing this? Most air filters require grease around the edges to help seal the elements off from grit and grime. Haven't seen one good design that makes me feel like the air is actually getting fully filtered. Skim coat of grease inside the intake tract will attract grit as well. Add an oiled foam pre-filter while you are at it.

Last edited:
Threads
With these small engines a lot think it’s the rings, but in most cases it’s not! It’s usually the exhaust valve not closing all the way. You have to remove the valves and clean them up. Pay attention to the exhaust as you will find on the stem close to the valve, that the carbon has built up and then it can’t go all the way into the guide. This is know as stem lock. It prevents the valve from closing.
Get the valve out and put in a drill that is in a vide. Spin the valve and use a 120 grit sand paper or emery cloth to remove the carbon. Be careful of the valve face (the part that goes against the seat.) I find that I stand at the end of the valve and make a 45 degree gentle movement on the face a few times just to clean it up. Get about a 3 inch wire wheel for the drill and clean the cylinder head. Where the seats are, I take a 1 inch cone wire brush on the drill and go into the seat area a few times and this wil clean up the seat area. Hope this helps. I’m sure your oil consumption will disappear!

Smithsonite

Threads
He might live where it's hot, and is just cooking valve seals out of them, possibly ...

zed cartwright

Forum Newbie
Threads
First you examine the external engine to see if any oil is leaking. Lots of times the governor oil seal goes bad and leaks oil that may drip down on the exhaust and smoke considerably when the engine is first started. If you see oily dirt around the rear of the engine that is the reason. Clean off the dirt and put a piece of tissue underneath the little governor seal and check it hours later to see if oil dripped onto it or you may just see it dripping first off. It gets soft and spongy over time and deteriorates. It is cheap and easy to change. Also, small engines have what most refer to as an engine breather which works like a PCV valve on a car. This releases some amounts of oil when pressure builds up in the crankcase and if the breather is working properly this oil drains back and recirculates into the crankcase. If it goes bad the oil will end up in the combustion chamber and smoke oil. This is an inexpensive part often located under a small metal plate on top of the crankcase under the flywheel which must be removed to replace it. The plate will probably have three small screws holding it down. Sometimes this breather is located inside the valve cover. Check your local parts store for more info or look up a diagram of your engine on the net and see where it is located and get the part number. Rings usually last for years without much problem. I would not tear down the engine unless you are certain the rings are the problem. Bad compression could be from rings or valves or both. As mentioned in previous post valve stems/seats/seals could be a possible culprit. The breather which is usually made of just a flexible piece of plastic that loses flexibility is a common problem. If your engine smokes that would be the first thing I would replace because it is cheap and eventually will probably need replacing anyway.