FX691V oil consumption

LawnWizard

Threads
EXACTLY why I quit posting on this forum years ago! A simple question: can the pistons be removed, new rings installed and replaced without removing the crankshaft turns into "you shouldn't be doing your own work if you don't know that pistons have to come out" and "things have come apart"! Well, no shit! Sorry to bother the all-knowing.

LawnWizard

Threads
Are you sure it is not just bad valve stem seals? I just did late last year Kawasaki v-twin with 3000+ hrs and the only thing I found was a badly worn oil pump and bad valve stem seals. The seals were the source of excessive oil usage.

When it comes to doing rings you need to spec out the cylinder to make sure that it hasn't ovaled and/or tapered. IF either then OS is necessary.
Thank you for actually reading the post and posting an intelligent reply. Appreciated!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
EXACTLY why I quit posting on this forum years ago! A simple question: can the pistons be removed, new rings installed and replaced without removing the crankshaft turns into "you shouldn't be doing your own work if you don't know that pistons have to come out" and "things have come apart"! Well, no shit! Sorry to bother the all-knowing.
Sorry but this is common sense things. And we do deal with some pretty inexperienced people at times that have no business even having a wrench in hand. Matter of fact some of local techs don't need them either. Like the one that on two different engines didn't know what in the heck he was doing. First one had a blown head gasket but he told he needed a complete engine replacement. The second engine he called himself cleaning the carburetor by just removing the fuel bowl and cleaning the trash out of it when the whole fuel in side was full of grass. The business he works for lost that commercial customer to my shop.

I also question the other poster about how he is installing the piston and rings from inside the engine when normally they are install from cylinder head side using a ring compressor.

LawnWizard

Threads
Sorry but this is common sense things. And we do deal with some pretty inexperienced people at times that have no business even having a wrench in hand. Matter of fact some of local techs don't need them either. Like the one that on two different engines didn't know what in the heck he was doing. First one had a blown head gasket but he told he needed a complete engine replacement. The second engine he called himself cleaning the carburetor by just removing the fuel bowl and cleaning the trash out of it when the whole fuel in side was full of grass. The business he works for lost that commercial customer to my shop.

I also question the other poster about how he is installing the piston and rings from inside the engine when normally they are install from cylinder head side using a ring compressor.
Reading the post BEFORE posting a smart-ass response is not asking too much. I am not a 'certified" small engine mechanic or I wouldn't be on here asking questions, however I clearly stated that I planned on removing the heads and case bottom. The question was quite simple. It just seems some people would rather belittle and show off their superior intelligence than simply answer the question.

LawnWizard

Threads

FWIW, I have replaced head gaskets, carbs, crank seals, etc. on V twins and completely rebuilt weedeaters and chainsaws as well as small block Chevy engines (which do NOT require the crank and cam shafts to be removed to replace pistons and rings).

txmowman

Threads
In a word, no. I'm not sure it's not just valve stem seals. I did have a bent exhaust pushrod about 400 hours ago. Would that give any indication of valve (or seal) issues?

Curious. How the heck are you installing the piston(s) from the inside the crankcase? I have always removed and installed them from the head side here. The only I install from crankcase side is on hand held two cycles.

I suggest the OP get a copy of the service manual and read it over before attempting anything.
Didn't write anything about installing pistons from inside the crankcase. You can remove the head, pull the rod/piston down far enough to disconnect the piston from the rod. Push the piston back up and out through the top (head) side. Install new rings and install back into the cylinder as normal and connect the rod. Does that make more sense?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Even the main crankshaft bearings don't require the crankshaft removal on those Chev engines. But i can no longer can get the machine work done locally as all those shops are gone now. So I have to acquire a pre-built short block. I would rather do it myself as I can change the specs as I require instead having to tear a rebuilt block down to do it.

txmowman

Threads
You're the one that started your post with "Please forgive me if this is a stupid or redundant post". Sorry that you are now butthurt.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Didn't write anything about installing pistons from inside the crankcase. You can remove the head, pull the rod/piston down far enough to disconnect the piston from the rod. Push the piston back up and out through the top (head) side. Install new rings and install back into the cylinder as normal and connect the rod. Does that make more sense?
Yes it makes more sense. But that is just more difficult done that way. So much easier just the unbolt the rods and push the piston and rod out and back in.

LawnWizard

Threads
Even the main crankshaft bearings don't require the crankshaft removal on those Chev engines. But i can no longer can get the machine work done locally as all those shops are gone now. So I have to acquire a pre-built short block. I would rather do it myself as I can change the specs as I require instead having to tear a rebuilt block down to do it.
Correct