Funny picture thread

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yep it s a big problem when you are living alone
Down here they run a daily check system where volunteers send emails or text messages to single people with no family
If no response within 24 hrs they send in the parramedics.
There is another registered neighbours system as well where neighbours actually get paid to check up on a vunerable neighbour on a daily basis.
They claim it saves around 5000 lives a year.
But the bean counters let the cat out of the bag when they justified they systems in terms of the financial benefit of not having severely dissabled people in public hospitals for extended periods then having to find a publicly funded care home position for them.

I have a few ex riding buddies that club members ring on a daily basis to check up on.
We run a sort of roster so it is not as obvious what we are doing .

You are really lucky to have fully regained use of your limbs
Several of the people I know who have had strokes have never got any where near full use back again .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The government taxes you and pays others to check on people?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One comment here from the peanut gallery. I have been boycotting Tram Law (Wal-mart) every since January 2020 since they refuse to accept my Tennessee Business Sales Tax Exemption certificate. What they would have gotten business wise Amazon now gets. Personally I only been in their stores 3X last year for Parakeet bird seeds.

Oh I know it doesn't make much a difference to them but it makes me feel better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Much like Chinese factories, Walmart are destroying the USA economy.
However it will not last forever because on line retail will eventually destroy them
But when packing boxes at Amazon becomes the only job left things will get very uncomfortable.
BEing a small independent trader I shop at small independent retailers because I value community more than the few $ buying at a megga mart will save me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I wish I could support the locals but income is very tight and I have to shop for the best deals. Besides most local shops that are big enough to have the parts on hand are jerks. I know as I have tried dealing with them as soon as they find out I am independent small shop they jack the prices on the parts. What worst is I know what they are paying for the parts in the first place as I am using the same distributors most times just may not a large enough order to place one.

The main problem I have with Walmart is they once brought as much American made products as they could and sold it at a fair price but since Sam Walton died that all changed. With this change they are no better than any other online retailer. Even with Amazon you got ripoff third party vendors claiming item to be OEM when they are not. The main items I buy through Amazon are items not available through my normal distributors.

Main thing is you got to use your head when buying items. Those one or two items then yes local when I can but if I am a dozen or so then the saving are consider by buying from a no local provider.

And quality also matters to me. I was buying from the local Farmers Coop feed corn but they starting packaging more corn cobs and stalks than shelled corn so I switched to Rural King where the shell corn is clean (with very little corn cobs and stalks).

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Mower parts that my wholesalers do not stock are a big mix.
If I can get wholesale or a better price for equivalent quality then parts get sourced from there.
The closest franchise mower shop does the same thing with parts for me, charging me 20% more than his retail customers so I don't buy from him
However I have found a dozen others who give me a little off and are convienent to shop at .
If I can use my ACN ( business number ) to get wholesale then I do where possible but that means dealing in wholesale quantities.So washing powder comes in 25 kg sacks, same for flour, sugar, washing up detergent etc.
Small items that could be bought from a major retail chain cheaper come from the local shops , where they know me by name.
The 20 % more is no great problem as I really don't buy in all that much.

As for Wallies, they are like every other company.
They needed money so went public, thus got a board who did not share the ideals of the founders, they were just there for the money .
While the family trust still holds a majority shareholding , not many of the family actually work for a living , they suck money from the business.
By now the board is on it's 4th generation and all the board members want is money and they get extra money if the share price rises, so anything to make higher profits& raise the share price.
It is a disease of Consolidated Capital and the prime reasons for mass pollution, global warming and mass poverty ( no I am not a communist ).
The other problem is the weak governance by authorities has allowed them to become too big.
For a capitalist market economy to function properly no single entity can ever be allowed to control more the 25% of any sector