FR651V oil filter choices

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you examine it with a 1000 x optical microscope or a 100,000 times electron microscope
If not the phrase urinating into the wind is applicable

enigma-2

Threads
My opinion is, no one makes a filter better than the OEM. And that it's a hoot to blow out oil filters with air to clean them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting. Millions of engines have been made that doesn't use an oil pump and filter. There are also a whole bunch that have oil pumps and no oil filter like some Briggs, many aircraft engines, Volkswagen beetle engines to name a few. Haven't really heard of many of them failing due to issues related to poorly filtered oil. Everyone should use the oil and air filters that make them happy. I have used cheap filters and expensive filters and really haven't seen a difference. Continential engines used in Cessna's have a very coarse screen to filter the oil. A&P mechanic told me "no filter is more reliable than any filter." Use whatever makes you happy and mows the grass.

MowManMow

Threads
Been blowing filters out since I was a small kid in the 60's having mowers/minibikes/motorcycles since 8yrs old.
Not having a lot of money in those days we were taught to maintain our own engines.
My oldest engine now is my 1976 Wheel Horse with a 10hp Kolher K series. Its never needed its 1st rebuild yet and still going strong.
I was taught to turn my compressor's regulator down under 25lbs & blow the filter clean from inside out.
Some are HEPA today so they're washable but just be certain its HEPA before washing any out.
About 2 yrs ago my first inner lining I ever tore while blowing one out blew into tiny pieces, that 1yr old no name brand China filter went right in the trash where all those belong.
So I suggest buying OEM or you'll be tearing a carb down now days.
Fwiw- About the only generic parts I use is Stens but they're parts are hit & miss these days.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
☝️ Here’s one of the spammers!

lil SIG

Threads
Kawasaki 49065-7007

Wix 57035 - 2.3" long - This is the stock replacement size.
Wix 51056 - 2.7" long
Wix 51348 - 3.4" Long
Wix 51516 - 4.8" Long - Also Motorcraft FL400A

I will be going with the Wix 51516 filter for maximum oil volume. Also the Wix filters filter to 21 microns as opposed to the 25 in the Kawasaki OEM filter.

txmowman

Threads
Kawasaki 49065-7007

Wix 57035 - 2.3" long - This is the stock replacement size.
Wix 51056 - 2.7" long
Wix 51348 - 3.4" Long
Wix 51516 - 4.8" Long - Also Motorcraft FL400A

I will be going with the Wix 51516 filter for maximum oil volume. Also the Wix filters filter to 21 microns as opposed to the 25 in the Kawasaki OEM filter.

I'm curious, what difference would the length of the filter make? How much time do you want the oil in the filter opposed to lubricating and cooling the engine? We're talking .000156" difference in micron rating. I highly doubt it will make any difference at all. Micron rating is not the only feature that differentiates the quality of the filter.