FR651V oil filter choices

RayMcD

Threads
OEM Kawasaki 49065-7007 recent changed to 49065-0721
Wix replacements
57035 2.3" tall 32 micron (same as OEM)
51056 2.7" tall 21 micron

Is anyone using 57148? 3.4"tall 5 micron. I see no problem fiting this one on my machine

Cheers, Ray

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All that is really important is the back flow valve & bypass valve
The finer micron size will just block up faster and at worst reduce the oil flow slightly or trip the bypass valve earlier .
Domestic filter media is +/- 10 % to 20 % depending who you buy it from
It is not like a screen size on a sieve of woven wire screens where 100µ is 100µ
So 32 µ is really 28<>36 µ if they used good media and 25 <> 38 µ if they used the cheap stuff .
I find it quite amusing just how much some people obsess about mower oil filters
Change your oil after the last mow of each season and most mowers would never need a filter change for their entire life
I do my commercial customers mowers mid season & at the end of the season with new filters every second year.
The Donoldson air filters get new outers each season and the OEM filters get changed every service
The filter that will make a massive difference is the air filter but no one seems to bother with them .
As for your specific question the only real problem will be from the available clearance to get the 1/2" longer filter onto the engine.
I do not have any Bob cats so don't know how tight the spaces are .

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll stick to the OE Kawasaki Oil Filters, I have the 49065-0721 on mine now after the 8 hour early oil change.

RayMcD

Threads
Hi Bert, for the record, the filter is actually 1.1" taller than the OEM, on my machine there is plenty room. I for one have always choose a longer filter if possible. As for the air filter, I blow it off with a leaf blower after every use and change at least twice a season. I agree with you it is the primary source of contaminates in the oil. I believe in PM and probally use way to much grease.. Cheers, Ray

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Bert, for the record, the filter is actually 1.1" taller than the OEM, on my machine there is plenty room. I for one have always choose a longer filter if possible. As for the air filter, I blow it off with a leaf blower after every use and change at least twice a season. I agree with you it is the primary source of contaminates in the oil. I believe in PM and probally use way to much grease.. Cheers, Ray
If I pay for the beers could I get you to have a long chat with the bulk of my customers (y)(y)

Lawn Addict
Threads
(snip) As for the air filter, I blow it off with a leaf blower after every use and change at least twice a season. I agree with you it is the primary source of contaminates in the oil. I believe in PM and probally use way to much grease.. Cheers, Ray

Ray- I would excersize caution blowing air at the air filters' outsides. You can be blowing debris deeper into the filter pleats..

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I always blow from the inside out.