FR651 AirFilter Modification

andyboy

Threads
I raised this issue a few weeks back and did not get a lot of support here. Did I let that stop me? No Sir! :)

Here is what I did. This is flexible steel electrical conduit. I did not want something rigid because I go under low limbs and/or sometimes when I turn the engine goes into shrubs. So far no problems to report. It is leaf chopping season in NJ that creates a lot of dust. I want to wait for leaves to dry out a little before using it some more and delivering my verdict. I plugged the original air intake and these hoses feed the air filter housing above where the air was being drawn from. The volume of air delivered is about the same as it was.
The hoses will let me easily play with where I pull air from. Behind the mower is not the best but higher is better. The hoses will also let me play with feeding some propane from a handheld tank into the air supply when I get bored.
I am considering putting another hose from in the seat bottom to experiment with the occasional methane boost. :)

Attachments

• Toro with Flexible Conduit intake.jpg
    Toro with Flexible Conduit intake.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

txmowman

Threads
Gentlemen, I just got around to completing this project. My original intent was to simply raise the air filter up a foot, it ended up moving up 21". I'll attach 4 photo's to show the progress.
Photo 1 shows the basic structure/frame with the air tube (2" radiator hose) and mounting plate made from a plastic electrical cover. Photo 2 shows the base plate. Photo 3 shows the air filterView attachment 58984View attachment 58985View attachment 58986View attachment 58987 box. Photo 4 shows the filter arrangement and box lid. Looking at the rear of the machine, the air box is open on left hand side(as far away from the discharge as possible). The lid simply folds flat on top of the filters. The outer filter is a WIXs 42088.

Please review and send any questions, Cheers, Ray
This should win the red-neck of the year award.

GEARHEAD3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen, I just got around to completing this project. My original intent was to simply raise the air filter up a foot, it ended up moving up 21". I'll attach 4 photo's to show the progress.
Photo 1 shows the basic structure/frame with the air tube (2" radiator hose) and mounting plate made from a plastic electrical cover. Photo 2 shows the base plate. Photo 3 shows the air filterView attachment 58984View attachment 58985View attachment 58986View attachment 58987 box. Photo 4 shows the filter arrangement and box lid. Looking at the rear of the machine, the air box is open on left hand side(as far away from the discharge as possible). The lid simply folds flat on top of the filters. The outer filter is a WIXs 42088.

Please review and send any questions, Cheers, Ray
I like it.

mmoffitt

Threads
ok if it makes you happy......but if in the long run lets say 10 years you only have to replace the air filters twice instead of 10 times you saved some money for sure. Sorry it's Bad-awful looking and wonder if anyone will try to move in when it gets cold good luck!! I'll call it the covid contraption

txmowman

Threads
ok if it makes you happy......but if in the long run lets say 10 years you only have to replace the air filters twice instead of 10 times you saved some money for sure. Sorry it's Bad-awful looking and wonder if anyone will try to move in when it gets cold good luck!! I'll call it the covid contraption
If someone is that cheap as to not want to change their OE filter, as part of regular maintenance, then you should probably own a cow or a goat.
I haven't see many proper suggestions on this blog. Mostly a bunch of hacks.

KrashnKraka

Threads
RayMcD your efforts displayed here together with those of the likeminded klutzes backpatting the trophy hatchet-job only serve as good reason to check brains at the door for these forums.

Owners either follow an engineered design or change out the original filter on servicing.
These motors are not under 1956 design rules nor are they totally "open aspirated engines" really, the air design for the combustion side of the engine is a critical factor, and why that supplied airbox is the way it is.

This contraption is the product of an idle mind and a wintered sawbench!

RayMcD

Threads
RayMcD your efforts displayed here together with those of the likeminded klutzes backpatting the trophy hatchet-job only serve as good reason to check brains at the door for these forums.

Owners either follow an engineered design or change out the original filter on servicing.
These motors are not under 1956 design rules nor are they totally "open aspirated engines" really, the air design for the combustion side of the engine is a critical factor, and why that supplied airbox is the way it is.

KK, so you're calling the flip cover on the back of the FR engines an air box, right. If you took the air intake on your car and put it that close to the ground and run around off road all day, I wonder how long your engine would last. You won't make be believe elevating the filter straight up to get it out of the crap is detrimental to this engine.
BTW, KrashnKraka, since we are all a bunch of klutzes, where does your expertise originate? R

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

I rather think it is more about meeting the noise regulations that engine breathing
Once again, they are SLOW reving low power cheap engines not Nascar top fuelers .
Kawakasi use the exact same blower housing without the flap on the FX series with a flex tube to a Donaldson double element filter
On the FX 600 /651 they use a single element Donaldson filter , again with the air box cover removed,
Every wanna be with a SUV fits a snorkel .
All of our local push mowers from 1956 to 2008 were fitted with snorkels .
I have serviced 40 year old mowers still running with the original filter which is still in good condition as it is pulling clean air.
Where as a foam filtered Sprint will be lucky if the filter is not choked beyond use in a single season.
The std B & S or honda side panel filter will clog enough to prevent an engine starting in as little as a single season as well.
So while it might be a thing that only it's creator could love shifting the air intake as far as possible from dirt & dust is always a good idea.
Lots of desert bike upgrades that shift the air filter to a position above the fuel tank to get them out of the dust .