FR651 AirFilter Modification

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you look at the 3 engines , FX, FS & FR it is pretty obvious the FX is how it was designed
then when the mower makers demmanded a cheaper engine they looked at ways to make the engine cheaper and cheaper and cheaper .
It is a con job.
Kawakasi originally supplied only the FX to top end commercial mowers, thus it established the reputation of being bullet proof .
Then using that reputation cheaper engines got fitted to lower level mowers .

When he original Victa push mower was designed , he factory realized the air filters were not doing their job so they fitted a snorkel to the next model that drew it's air from the top of the handlebar and that was around 1956
Every subsequent model was fitted with the snorkels either as standard fitment if their own engine was fitted or as a option if fitted with an alternative engine.
This remained till B & S took them over & the snorkels were dropped because B & S wanted the engines to wear out .
Because of competition pressures , all the rest of the locally made mowers also fitted snorkels as did the fully imported Hondas.
Many of these engines are now better than 70 years old and still on original bores because the cleaner air eliminated bore wear .

OTOH I have now done ( well I did one & customer did the other ) re-ring & hone jobs on Timecutters fitted with baggers & Kawakasi engines because the filtering system is badly designed and prone to leaking between the elbow & carb if you are not very careful with them .

So yes a very good idea and a lot cheaper than fitting the Donaldson type filter .

RayMcD

Threads
I'm new here. but i have to give you a handshake on a good job, you saw a problem and instead of complaining, tweaked that machine for your personal useage........Ive always experimented in treeking.........and got a lot of fails over the years, but it sure is fun for me...;-)
Hi D, kind works, thanks. I'm also very knew to this forum and look to draw from the senior's expertice. I also enjoy improving devices and I for one am very happy with this outcome. I will make some additional changes to the set up and post. Your input either pro or con is most welcome. Cheers, Ray

RayMcD

Threads
When you look at the 3 engines , FX, FS & FR it is pretty obvious the FX is how it was designed
then when the mower makers demmanded a cheaper engine they looked at ways to make the engine cheaper and cheaper and cheaper .
It is a con job.
Kawakasi originally supplied only the FX to top end commercial mowers, thus it established the reputation of being bullet proof .
Then using that reputation cheaper engines got fitted to lower level mowers .

When he original Victa push mower was designed , he factory realized the air filters were not doing their job so they fitted a snorkel to the next model that drew it's air from the top of the handlebar and that was around 1956
Every subsequent model was fitted with the snorkels either as standard fitment if their own engine was fitted or as a option if fitted with an alternative engine.
This remained till B & S took them over & the snorkels were dropped because B & S wanted the engines to wear out .
Because of competition pressures , all the rest of the locally made mowers also fitted snorkels as did the fully imported Hondas.
Many of these engines are now better than 70 years old and still on original bores because the cleaner air eliminated bore wear .

OTOH I have now done ( well I did one & customer did the other ) re-ring & hone jobs on Timecutters fitted with baggers & Kawakasi engines because the filtering system is badly designed and prone to leaking between the elbow & carb if you are not very careful with them .

So yes a very good idea and a lot cheaper than fitting the Donaldson type filter .
Hi Bert, I for one didn't know the history with Kawa engines but I could easily see how this evolved. This may not be pretty but I know this is a winner when it comes to extending the engine life. After running for only ~ an hour I knew the stock arrangement would not do.
If anyone is interested, the air pipe I used is a 2" radiator hose from O'Reillys PN 72053 10877 simply cut to length and I placed a WIX filter PN 42088 around the OEM filter. Even if you only use the OEM filter it will still be much improved over the stock arrangement. R

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bert- My Donaldson conversion was really low cost, I got the canister & mounting bracket used off Feebay, for about $20. Needed cleaning badly.
I added new filters of course about $18. total. So I didn't have much in that set-up. But it looked factory imo. My version # 2 for my new mower will look stock as well, & perform like an FX filtration system should.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert- My Donaldson conversion was really low cost, I got the canister & mounting bracket used off Feebay, for about $20. Needed cleaning badly.
I added new filters of course about $18. total. So I didn't have much in that set-up. But it looked factory imo. My version # 2 for my new mower will look stock as well, & perform like an FX filtration system should.
The actual conversion kit down here is around $ 600 including the steel blower housing.
The difference in price FS to FX is about $ 1000
So yes if you ferret around you can luck it in cheaply but bought new there was a big difference .

RayMcD

Threads
I think your reached your goal.
LA, I'm sure we both had the same thing in mind with when you added the Donaldson filter upgrade. I already have a change planned to my contraption in mind I will post once it is completed. Cheers, Ray

Lawn Addict
Threads
LA, I'm sure we both had the same thing in mind with when you added the Donaldson filter upgrade. I already have a change planned to my contraption in mind I will post once it is completed. Cheers, Ray
Ray- Yes I think so.. Look forward to seeing your change. Who or what is "LA" ?